Thread: w518a ringtone problem

Device(s)
    SE w580i(Dead)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

w518a ringtone problem

So i just got a w518a as a replacement for my now dead w580i and crappy samsung a767 that i sent back. but for some reason i can only use the ringtones i had on the w580i for a messaage tone and not for a ringtone. same thing happened for the a767, but i didnt care since i knew i was gonna send it back. But what gives on the w518a????

Device(s)
    w518a
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well I know from experience making ringtones for my w518a, that tones need to be encoded at no more than 48KB/s, 24000Hz (Mono). If the ringtones from your w580i use a higher bit or sample rate, they cannot be set as ringtones.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I think on AT&T branded phones, the limit is 300KB. Make sure the ringtone is not bigger.
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    w518a
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    bodeh6 is right, there is also a 300kb limit. So edit your ringtone down in audacity.

Tones play for no longer than 20 seconds, so if your old tone file is longer, edit out that extra data to get the file size down.

If you're in Audacity (a free audio editor available here ), in the menu go to Tracks > Sterio Track to Mono to make sure the file is in mono, which saves space and brings the sample rate down to 24000 from 48000. Hilight and delete and sound past 20 seconds, then go File > Export... and in the export menu select MP3 and give it a 48KB/s bitrate, and your tone will work in the phone.