Thread: Switching from SERO to Everything

Feedback Score

Switching from SERO to Everything

Hi all. I have finally become so frustrated by my current 2 phones from sprint that I am going to ditch my SERO plan to get a quality phone. My 24 month commitment is long over.

I want to buy the Pre, I know I can't keep my SERO when doing this. I went into a sprint store and asked pricing for 2 pres, they want 500 OTD and will give me 200 in MIR, this is their new activation cost.

Amazon wants 160 OTD. I obviously attempted to go with amazon, but the dbags at sprint are rejecting my order as it is not a new activation to them. The short chat I had with CS before work today said I need to call order support back later, but they would likely only "let me change" if I am to pay their upgrade prices for the phones and not new activation.

Perhaps it is me being cheap, but 1) I thought sprint was chomping at the bit to ditch SERO plans, and 2) I don't think it's fair for sprint not to consider me a new customer.

Anyone have a similar experience here? Drop SERO for one of the premium phones? Did you have to pay crazy jacked up prices?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duhh
    Hi all. I have finally become so frustrated by my current 2 phones from sprint that I am going to ditch my SERO plan to get a quality phone. My 24 month commitment is long over.

I want to buy the Pre, I know I can't keep my SERO when doing this. I went into a sprint store and asked pricing for 2 pres, they want 500 OTD and will give me 200 in MIR, this is their new activation cost.

Amazon wants 160 OTD. I obviously attempted to go with amazon, but the dbags at sprint are rejecting my order as it is not a new activation to them. The short chat I had with CS before work today said I need to call order support back later, but they would likely only "let me change" if I am to pay their upgrade prices for the phones and not new activation.

Perhaps it is me being cheap, but 1) I thought sprint was chomping at the bit to ditch SERO plans, and 2) I don't think it's fair for sprint not to consider me a new customer.

Anyone have a similar experience here? Drop SERO for one of the premium phones? Did you have to pay crazy jacked up prices?
    A corporate Sprint store will currently ask $250 out the door and $100 in mail-in rebates to make it $150 final cost, or $10 less than Amazon. No idea where the $500 out the door and $200 mail-in rebates comes from. Third-party store perhaps?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4S 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint (ED Family 1500)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge34
    A corporate Sprint store will currently ask $250 out the door and $100 in mail-in rebates to make it $150 final cost, or $10 less than Amazon. No idea where the $500 out the door and $200 mail-in rebates comes from. Third-party store perhaps?
    The OP said two (2) Pres. So that would be correct.

Device(s)
    Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO,
    Feedback Score
    It came from him asking about 2 Pres, not 1

Quote Originally Posted by Edge34

Device(s)
    Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO,
    Feedback Score
    Ha ha, you beat me klimb, lol

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Obv I need to learn to read. This is the correct number.

OP, you are being treated as a "new customer". There is just a difference in the prices sometimes between Sprint corporate and our 3rd party resellers. These aren't "crazy jacked up prices" per se, just different lines of business that price their product differently sometimes.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duhh
    Amazon wants 160 OTD. I obviously attempted to go with amazon, but the dbags at sprint are rejecting my order as it is not a new activation to them.
    Have you considered trying to establish this as a new account by altering your registration slightly? Use the name of the person the second Pre is for, use a shortened/nickname variant of your first name, etc.?

To save your old numbers, you could then pick up an el-cheapo prepaid, port out to it, then port back in to your Pres. (To be on the ultra-safe side, I'd suggest a non-Sprint provider. In theory they should be treated as separate providers for porting purposes, but every once in a while they get goofy. Plus which, why reward Sprint for making your life more difficult?)

It would add expense and hassle, but not $140 worth.

(probably.)

Device(s)
    Sprint HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just about every phone on Sprint has mail in rebates and it's been that way for a while. Have you tried Best Buy?

Device(s)
    Samsung Epic 4G Touch (SGSII)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO Premium
    Feedback Score
    I was just about to recommend what KX said, Best Buy doesn't deal with mail-ins, you just get the price that you would after mail in, out the door. Only thing is I know they weren't supposed to deal with old sero plans, but your upgrading so that gets fuzzy, and also I have heard there are work arounds to them not working with the old seros as well.
    "This is gonna be tough, real tough, like tough plus more tough, times tough, to the power of tough" Chowder

Feedback Score
    So I tried to pull a fast one and upgrade to the PRE at Walmart today just to see if they'd upgrade me without rate plan change. Anyways I failed because the computer said I'd have to change my rate plan. I have the old $30 plan I got before I left the company (Nextel) in 2004.

Anyways,looks like best price is walmart. $99.99 OTD no rebate. My sales rep was just a regular walmart employee in the electronics dept so she didn't know too much about cell phones.

So is there any way I can activate a smart phone on my account without changing rate plans? As if I acquired one through craigslist or something? I just want one so I can have a decent browser via wifi and to stream vids. Appreciate any advice....Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Epic 4G Touch (SGSII)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO Premium
    Feedback Score
    you aren't gonna be able to get a pre/pixi, or any android phone on your current plan. The best phone you can get with your plan is a Touch Pro 2, so basically windows phones. No guarantee on that, because I don't know your exact plan, but I have the old sero $30 plan and those are the best I can do at this point.

Feedback Score
    Sprint Exclusive Referral 600

* $30 Monthly Service Charge
    * 600 Anytime Minutes Included
    * Caller ID
    * Nextel Direct Connect
    * Talkgroupsm
    * Nationwide Long Distance
    * Sms Text Messages
    * Nationwide Direct Connect
    * Sms Text Messages
    * Voicemail

Plan add-ons

* Unlimited Night & Wknd Minutes-Included
    * Private IP Address-Included
    * Mobile Admin Package-Included
    * Data Access Pay-As-You-Go-Included

Trying to decide if I want to stay with nextel just for Direct Connect or to go to the Sprint side for a modern phone.