Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Switching to the Pre

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb
    AM, you just gave me food for thought. I'm done with RIM products, VZW's moving up my NE2 date 3 months after all of the issues I've had with the S1 and told that I can get a Pre Plus on Monday for the 1-year price and no extension. I read your post and saw the Apple event on Tuesday, and I'd be a fool to not hold out for one more day!
    I'm excited to see what Apple announces next week too. If they talk about a new version of the iPhone OS, or even the next iPhone itself, chances are that it will include a number of features that are already on the Pre. Multitasking, for instance, definitely needs to happen. For the sake of competition, hopefully they will mimic the gesture area of the Pre and Pixi on their next handset too. That's truly one of the cooler touchscreen innovations that has happened recently and one of the things that makes WebOS so elegant and fun to use. It is enjoyable to be a geek because there truly is always something better on the horizon, but you also have to be careful not to let that maxim distract you from what is awesome in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeMobile
    If I may be so bold, I have one quick request. One of the things I love about my Pearl is that I can download free songs (err, I mean legal,"speeches" ) off the internet directly to my phone. I typically use the websites www.Skreemr.com and www.Tigow.com. If it isn't too much trouble, when you have a spare moment would you mind seeing if you can download an mp3 file directly off those sites onto the Pre? It won't make or break my decision, but I am rather curious. Thanks!
    Songs on Skreemr started streaming without issue through both my headphones and the external speaker, but there isn't (as of yet) an officially supported way to store web downloads on the file system. I know that a lot of people want this feature though so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a future update, possibly even 1.4. Download links on Tigow took me to a blank white page every time. I'm not sure if it was trying to open a popup window at that point (which are blocked by default), but they didn't start streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy
    I've used the Pre and Pixi over the past two days and between them I'd get the Pre Plus.
    But I think Android OS is more robust and growing faster than webOS, in terms of updates and apps.
    Still, I buy the Droid out of all of them.
    Palm has released more updates for WebOS than there have been updates for Android. Besides, updates are entirely meaningless if they are never distributed to existing hardware. Having to buy a brand new phone every single time a new version of Android is released, or suffering through an artificial exclusivity period, or whatever the hell is happening to prevent 2.1 from making its way to 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0 handsets that are perfectly capable of running it, is a major turnoff. The Droid is just over two months old and it is already a second-class citizen in the wildly fragmented Android ecosystem. It doesn't make any sense, Droid owners deserve better, and Google needs to fix this--quickly.

As far as applications are concerned the Palm Pre is already a better gaming platform than Android is. This could change, sure, but the games that are currently available for the Pre absolutely dwarf those that are on Android. As far as other applications are concerned the gap seems to be narrowing because WebOS is so easy to develop for. Engadget's mobile app for instance is now available on the Blackberry, iPhone, and WebOS platforms. There is no Android version yet, but I'm sure that one is on its way. If we're being entirely honest, all of your needs are going to be met in all of the major application categories no matter which platform you choose. Android, Blackberry, iPhone, WebOS--they all have solid support from developers.

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284
    It's still the same phone other than added memory and storage and the lack of the home button. Less of a change than the Storm to Storm 2. I'm sure it'll be a little faster and take care of the lag issues from the Sprint Pre though and hopefully they've done something about the battery life also.
    They redesigned both the slider and the keyboard in addition to the internal enhancements that you mentioned. I think the Storm to Storm 2 comparison is accurate, though I consider this to be more of an upgrade.

"Lag issues" and battery life issues largely disappeared with the 1.3.5 update, and the 1.4 update that is a few short weeks away is said to improve things in these two areas even more. This has always been an incredibly fast and responsive phone, and one that can smoothly handle doing more than one thing at a time in a way that makes sense, but 1.3.5 significantly improved the speed of the dialer in particular and for every other application as well. I'm also seeing almost double the battery life than I was with 1.2.1, and that's no exaggeration.

There is a lot of FUD and misinformation out there about this phone. The Pre Plus has improved the build quality, but even my Sprint Pre feels totally solid. I use the hell out of it and haven't had a single problem with the hardware. It goes in my pocket without any protection (as it has since day one) and it is still in absolutely perfect condition with no scratches whatsoever.

It's a great device. I am mildly jealous of Verizon subscribers right now

Feedback Score
    Will the Pre Plus have voice dialing?
    I've seen conflicting reports on various sites. Some say yes, some say no, others say maybe.
    Because I spend so much time in my car this is a MUST have.

Device(s)
    BB Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kxgard3
    I am a former Sprint Pre owner and my wife still has hers (though we are on replacement #4) I highly suggest you read up on a lot of reviews prior to pulling the trigger.
    I have read extensive reviews. Would you care to explain exactly what your issues with the phone were? If it is simply the build quality, I am less than worried. Palm promised better build quality in the Plus, and although I understand having faulty hardware and thus having to get replacements may be irrevocably deleterious in your opinion, I am looking for a review of the experience as a whole, and more importantly the OS. Yes, it would be frustrating if it was faulty, but as long as I got a replacement I wouldn't mind too much, as long as WebOS was worthwhile. Mind you this is coming from a guy who went through 5, 1st-gen LG Chocolate's, so I know what its like.

@Sawawa - I agree, it will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with! I almost hate the way Apple demands so much of the world's attention. I want to see another company succeed in the way Apple has, but no one seems to be willing/able to put in the research, development or effort to make a phone able to but heads with the iPhone. Of course after saying that, I must say that with the advent of 1.4, and as evidenced by their dedication so far, Palm has demonstrated that they are committed to the game, and I have very high hopes for them.

Thanks a bunch for checking that out, too. I was quite curious and although not being able to download is slightly disappointing, the fact that it streamed was a pleasant surprise and not something I was expecting.

Regarding FAUguy's comment - I agree that at the moment, Android is growing faster. However, I think its important to look at Android over the past year or so. Several months ago I distinctly remember reading an article about how if Android didn't pick it up, it would lose it's backing. Now I think that was a bit extreme, but the point remains the same; after the initial release of Android, things slowed down quite a lot. Yes, Google put out updates with relative regularity, but I found myself losing interest. If you look at the progression of Android as a software, as well as it's App Market development, I think you'd notice an incredible jump at a specific point -notably when the Droid and Eris were released. In my opinion, general Android interest had drizzled down to a slug's pace, but with the release of the Droid all of sudden it's back on everyone's radar. The App Market has grown phenomenally, and Android has become a main point of interest, once again. I think we will have a very similar experience with the Pre/Pixi Plus. The Pre will introduce a huge new market of customers to WebOS, and with such a rapid increase in consumer base, the developers will tap into that new money flow by creating new apps, generating more interest and setting off a an app market explosion almost identical to what we saw with the Droid and Eris. In summation, my point is that I think Palm made a smart decision, and hopefully we will see great things in the near future from them.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon #1
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy
    I've used the Pre and Pixi over the past two days and between them I'd get the Pre Plus.
    But I think Android OS is more robust and growing faster than webOS, in terms of updates and apps.
    Still, I buy the Droid out of all of them.

Lol this is true , But I have a droid and Im tired of it. Its like I have to download a app for basic things like a calender widget! I spend more time trying to make the phone what I need it to be then using the thing. Now dont get me wrong cause the Droid is one heck of a phone! I just dont thing android is for me. Ive been ruined by win-mo and bb! I will never use any of those again. well unless Rim does something major to their os! Wow Im rambling lol, im excited for web os!
    My blog: http://droidphoto.wordpress.com/
    New Life Christian Fellowship
    www.nlcfsaginaw.org

Feedback Score
    600 bucks full retail?! Dang.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    I'm waiting to hear what Apple has to say before deciding to switch from my Droid. But I did put the Pre Ringtone on my Droid, it was fun watching the Pre owners at work look up when my phone rings.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless /
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime
    I'm waiting to hear what Apple has to say before deciding to switch from my Droid. But I did put the Pre Ringtone on my Droid, it was fun watching the Pre owners at work look up when my phone rings.
    Yep same here. I was actually going to go out at lunch today and drop the full $600 on a Pre Plus but I'm curious to see what Apple has to say on Wednesday.

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Spent about 45min playing with the Pre Plus during lunch break. I recently purchased the droid but am still within my 30 days so I decided to go take a look. I support about 5 Sprint Palm Pre's daily so I'm fairly familiar with the phone and the webos platform.

Software- Couldn't really tell any difference in the speed of opening apps and switching between them in card view than with a standard Sprint Pre. I'm guessing the only time you'd notice a difference in performance there would be when you have a lot of cards open or are playing a game. I still noticed a checkerboard pattern in the browser when flick scrolling, even after the page was fully loaded. Pinch-zoom still works great. I love WebOS though and I would hazard to say that it's the nicest mobile phone platform available.

Hardware- Initially found it kind of awkward not to have the physical home button but the touch sensitive button works great. After playing with the keyboard for a while, it definitely seems easier to type on than the original. Not really a fan of the springiness of the slider though. It snaps open and closed a little to easy and doesn't feel as solid as the Pre on Sprint. My concern is how well it would hold up as you could already feel play by twisting the screen and keyboard in opposite directions which we've noticed on the Pre's we have also. Other than WebOS, the form factor was what I liked the most. It's compact and feels great in the hand. Doesn't feel as solid in the hand droid but that's probably because it weighs an ounce less.

Overall I'd say the Pre Plus is pretty much the same as the Sprint Pre to the average person. If you've been eying the Pre and waiting for it to drop on Verizon you won't be disappointed. For $149 on a 2 yr contract, it's a great buy and as the engadget review said, it's pretty much a no brainer to go with the Pre Plus over the Pixi Plus. Don't think I'd pay full retain for it though. In the end, I'm probably going to stay with the Droid even though there's a lot I like about the Pre Plus. Just not ready to give up the larger screen, free google nav and the openness of android.

Feedback Score
    As a former Palm Pre owner (on Sprint) and someone who has also owned/used the iPhone 3GS, the Droid, the Samsung Moment, the HTC Hero, and currently the Storm 2, my biggest gripe with the Pre and the Pre Plus is the physical design. I know it's small and compact, but, for me, that's the only appeal to the design. Moreover, after owning and using the devices mentioned above I have comfortable outgrown the need for a physical keyboard, and no virtual keyboard for landscape mode is inexcusable. More to the point, if Palm had designed a physical phone similar to the Nexus One (minus the scroll ball), you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. A webOS device with the body and specifics you find on the Nexus One (minus the scroll ball) is the perfect phone for me. I find webOS amazing and arguably the best I've used. I am just underwhelmed by the phone's physical design.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Thinking of switching to palm pre

I haven't been happy with my eris.I've had it since it was released. Verizon replaced the battery once and the phone.Still not satisfied with the battery life and its sluggish even with the replacement phone with minimal apps installed. Tried all the battery suggestions and app management suggestions. I think it could be a good phone once they fix the problems because i think its all software related when it comes to battery life.

My problem is I don't feel like waiting for the patches. I was thinking of going with the palm pre plus. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated and does anybody have experience with palm pre and how it would compare to the eris.

Feedback Score
    Threads merged.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5