Thread: Getting the HTC Droid Eris, but I'm on alltel.

Device(s)
    ROKR Z6m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Getting the HTC Droid Eris, but I'm on alltel.

Hey there everyone, I've got an Eris coming my way. I've had the Palm Pre rooted and activated on alltel for a few months but I'm beginning to hate this phone. . . My buddy just got a free upgrade to the Eris and because they offer this phone free, it had a upgrade to one, get another one free offer, so him and I made a deal.

Anyways, because alltel and verizon seem to have made some sort of aliance in the past year... I've noticed all my verizon friends have awesome service coverage now, me being on alltel use to be the only one that had good service on all our offroad adventures, now ALL my buddies have the same service I've got, sweet ...

Does that mean... a verizon programmed phone will activate on alltel without any need in programming? I'm sure EVDO would have some issues connecting because I'm sure they've got different addresses and login passwords, but text/talk would work, right?

Any input is appreciated!
    thanks.

Until then, I'll wait for the Eris to be successfully rooted.
    Eris on alltel since december

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    It will work fine. You will have Verizon features like VCast instead of Alltel features like Axcess. You shouldn't have to change your plan either.

Feedback Score

I'm there

Well I'm there right now.
    I got my HTC Droid yesterday and the first time at my try of activation wasn't very good. The call to 611 to have my ESN number activated went as usual. However, when trying to program is where it went wrong.
    The *228 call went straight to the Verizon programming, so I tried the *22801 but it also went to the Verizon programming.
    I am sure this is due to this phone was previously on the Verizon network.

So now I'm looking though the post to see what my next move is.
    I will check back here and make sure to leave a detailed history of what I do.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dblbeard
    Well I'm there right now.
    I got my HTC Droid yesterday and the first time at my try of activation wasn't very good. The call to 611 to have my ESN number activated went as usual. However, when trying to program is where it went wrong.
    The *228 call went straight to the Verizon programming, so I tried the *22801 but it also went to the Verizon programming.
    How did the programming go wrong? Even if you are still on an Alltel plan, *228 will direct you to the Verizon programming... It should (at least in my experience with several phones), program the phone without any problems.
    Remember kids... Bribery is illegal but lobbying is not

Mick662: "Someday, you will meet people on the internet who are so dumb, you will find it hard to comprehend. They probably got beat up a lot at school for being this dumb. And they deserved it".

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neb1211
    How did the programming go wrong? Even if you are still on an Alltel plan, *228 will direct you to the Verizon programming... It should (at least in my experience with several phones), program the phone without any problems.
    I should leave it for the OP, but I understood he was on Alltel (owned by, or soon to be owned by ATN), not an Alltel plan on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I am on Alltel with an Alltel plan. If I understand it correctly only 85% of Alltel was bought. I'm still with them.

The HTC Droid I bought was once on the Verizon network.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    While then, whenever you are trying to use a phone on a network it wasn't originally intended for, you are always going to have issues getting it activated. You need to do more than just have the ESN/MEID activated and then program you info into it. Many times you have to flash the phone with your carrier's firmware and/or use a program like QPST or something to edit settings on the phone. Maybe someone here will know more or you might want to try searching for more info on this in the HTC forums.

Feedback Score
    There are a number of people using the HTC Droids that were Verison phones before, there is a way to do it, I just need to find one of them I guess.

I know Verizon would like for us to believe that it can't be done, but that's just another lie.

Alltel told me just as Verizon did that if I bought a smart phone I had to have a data plan, that was a lie also. I'm currently using the HTC Touch and have full use of the phone.

If I understand it correctly the first thing I need to do is change the PRL so it will dial up the Alltel network instead of the Verizon network when I dial the *228 to have it programed.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I am not doubting it can be done. In fact I know it can be done. However, it is not as easy as just activating the phone. I tried searching these forums but couldn't find any real helpful info on this subject.

Also in terms of you HTC Touch with data, how is that done on your particular account? Does it just use your minutes or do you have 1 of the connect packs? I have seen it done both ways but it all depends on how your account is setup. However, once ATN or AT&T (whoever is taking your market over) takes control, this could very well change. Alltel's policy does not allow connect packs to be used on smartphone lines even though some people managed to accomplish it. Don't be surprised if they remove the connect pack when the divestiture is complete. The same thing happened to many Alltel customers with the Verizon integration was underway.

Feedback Score
    Well, I finally got it working. I remembered someone saying you had to get into an area where there wasn't a Verizon signal and then try to use the *228

This is what I did. No matter where I was today driving back and forth to work I kept trying the *228, but I kept getting the Verizon message.
    I remembered a place down the road from my house where my buddy couldn't get the Verizon signal but I was getting a good signal from Alltel.

I drove down there this evening and call the 611 to get them to change the ESN number, at first I thought I had it but then it went to the Verizon message. Then I remembered someon also saying you had to go into the settings and change the mobil network settings and change the Network Service from Automatic A to Automatic B, just as soon as I did this and dialed the *228 it went straight to Alltels programming and went through the programming process as usual.

However, I am not getting my internet service the same way I was with my HTC Touch.

This is another topic all together, us see I'm not on a data plan as Alltel said I had to be to have a smart phone. I was on a standard plan with the $5.00 a month basic internet access they offer. When I bought and activated the HTC Touch I still had the internet access, but it was with the full mobil features without paying for it.
    However, I was still getting my full messaging service with no problems.

So I may end up having to get a data plan with the Droid to get the Internet service.

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    ROKR Z6m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    You have to get the Alltel PRL, put it on your SD card

##PRL on the phone, select the PRL on the SD card, the phone will provision to the alltel towers. Restart, *228 the phone, ACTIVATED

Go to ##PROGRAM

enter 000000
    go to SECURITY (NOWHERE ELSE! LEAVE ALL OTHER VALUES ALONE)

Change data settings to alltel's values.

Fully working 3G and 1x... been over a month, this phone has been perfect on alltel, no problems what so ever. Solid 3G everywhere, fast too.

Feedback Score
    Thanks it works well with Cricket too