Thread: true push email? really?

Device(s)
    moto t721
    Carrier(s)
    ATT/Cingular
    Feedback Score

true push email? really?

First off, I'm a newbie to both exchange server email on my phone, and to push email at all. I've never had a Blackberry, or any other push-focused device. I always did email on my phone via IMAP and just set it to check messages every 10 minutes or so.

So I just bought an HTC Pure under contract (first contract in almost 4 years... ). Since the phone was new & empty, I signed up for google sync, anxious to experience the magic of true push-style email.

I must say I'm disappointed. It seems to me, that google sync's "push" is really just using the MS activesync software on the phone to have the PHONE check for messages constantly. How is this any different than using IMAP and setting it up to check every minute or so?

I thought that *true* push email was a service that was initiated on the SERVER side, not by the phone. This doesn't seem to be the way google sync is working. If it is, it's VERY slow. I tried sending a couple emails to my gmail account, and they took almost 30 minutes to show up on the phone, even though they were in my gmail inbox instantaneously when I logged in and checked on a PC.

What am I missing? Did I set it up wrong?

-KC

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (White), Nokia N85 (poor little bugger)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    If you set up an MS Exchange Server on your phone, then you did nothing wrong. Your are just a little confused, that's all. Let me try to help with that:

Google is, as you said, employing Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync services, whether that be by actually using their software or developing their own (there are several open source alternatives with some potential licensing shortcomings), that's the protocol they're using.

ActiveSync does not have the phone poll to the server every nano second, like what you were thinking. The phone ONLY establishes a concurrent connection to the server (essentially just "Are you still there" and "Yep. I'm here" packets are transferred at this time.) Depending on the push protocol – but we'll use ActiveSync for argument – once the phone gets a packet from the Exchange Server, "Yo. Here's your message," the phone notifies you, and your message appears in your inbox. (The server pushes your single message across the Interwebs to your phone.)

Now, on other protocols like IMAP IDLE, from what I understand, it's more robust because instead of having messages pushed individually to one's client, the server just lets the client know that there's new data. The client then can decide whether or not to synchronise data (a cool little feature whose future uses I can't particularly foresee, but nonetheless an improvement.)

I hope I've helped.
    iPhone 3GS | Middle of Nowhere (850mHz HSDPA)

iPhone 3GS | City of Pittsburgh (850mHz HSDPA)

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Push is instant.. my phone beeps the second I get an email. It was cool, the other day in bestbuy I was picking up something I purchased online at their will-call counter. As soon as he scanned my item, my phone beeped.. like MAYBE 1.5 seconds of time there. I checked and it was a 'thank you for picking up your item' email.

If yours isn't instant, then it's not set up correctly.. or google (or your data connection) was particularly slow.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This just occurred to me: the 'wizard' style setup where it gets the info automatically will default to an imap that checks every 30 minutes or so. You need to follow Google's directions for setting it up as push.. basically, when it asks for you account, give it a bogus email address.. then it will ask you to enter the settings manually which allows you to choose push over imap

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Using exchange activesync with an exchange server gives me excellent push results and battery life.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    C510a, W610i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    No use for any microsoft here but I sure enjoy my push mail via Imap idle using gmail server. No need for any so called smart phone either. Just stock S/E mail tool on W810, C905, and a couple of other models.
    Prepaid Rocks!

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    IMAP IDLE worked pretty good on my e71-2 and SE z750a.