Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Yet another Verizon mishandling of a legacy Alltel customer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6255i
    Carrier(s)
    None
    Feedback Score
    0

    Angry Yet another Verizon mishandling of a legacy Alltel customer

    Small potatos here but same general treatment as the guy with 260+ lines.

    I was a Cellular One customer, then our area got switched over to Alltel several years ago. No problems until the other day when the display cable on my e815 gave up the ghost. I have had the phone for a while but decided it might be time to go into the Verizon store and score a new Barrage.

    When I went into the store and talked to a rep, I explained that I needed a Motorola phone that used either a mini or micro USB connector, and was capable of tethering.

    The rep also told me that I had to be brought over to a Verizon plan if I wanted to change phones, and here's where it got interesting.

    Before I had selected a phone or agreed to any purchase, the rep (Melissa, Abilene, TX) looked at my plan and features, then removed my mobile web and tethering features from my calling plan. When she put the plan and features back in place, it ended up lowering my monthly allowed minutes by 50, and adding around $25 per month to my bill for the mobile web and tethering packages.

    My base rate was $39.99 for a 500 minute plan, $5.99 for mobile web, and $25.00 for tethering. Data usage on my plan is unlimited.

    Since it was such a significant price increase, I decided to go home and repair my existing phone (had a couple of parts phones handy). I asked the rep to return my account to the way it was before, and went home.

    When I got home, I had a hunch that I should call Verizon and verify that my account had been returned to its pre-molested state. It had not.

    I went back to the store and confronted the manager with this information. He explained that my feature codes were no longer active, but did find a code that would allow me to continue with a new phone on a Verizon plan with mobile web and tethering for a net increase of $5 per month. I agreed, and selected the Barrage phone. When the salesman started getting everything in order, he then informed me that the Barrage was not capable of tethering since the feature was not coming up on his screen. The store manager had gone over several models with me, and represented the Barrage to me as being capable of tethering.

    The manager got re-involved, and told the salesman to process the sale and we would add tethering afterwards. I paid, including re-upping my contract to get the better price (I had been out-of-contract since early 2007). The salesman added the tethering feature, and the net change to my bill ended up being $49 per month!

    I told the manager to refund my money, return my contract expire date back to where it was, and to put everything on my account back the way it was before I set foot in there. He processed the refund, expired my contract that day (he explained that he could not enter a past expiraion date), and then failed to get all the features back in place at their old prices. The way he did it, my bill was $9.00 higher per month and he added a memo in my account to process a $9.00 refund each billing cycle until it was resolved.

    Apparently, this last was just to get me out of his store, since I called Verizon afterwards and they had no record of the refund request, and explained that I would now be billed at the higher rate for bothe mobile web and tethering. The phone rep was able to get mobile web reinstated at the old price, but my tethering is still messed up.

    My question is, who should I call at Verizon who actually has the pull to get my account back to the way it was?

    Thanks

    Tony




    After two trips to their store, combined around 5 1/2 hours of standing at their service counter, and 3 more hours on phone with Verizon support, the 'adjusted' features they found for me to use still is a net gain of $9.00 per month.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    on a boat with a naked brazilian woman
    Posts
    1,402
    Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spctrbytz
    Small potatos here but same general treatment as the guy with 260+ lines.

    I was a Cellular One customer, then our area got switched over to Alltel several years ago. No problems until the other day when the display cable on my e815 gave up the ghost. I have had the phone for a while but decided it might be time to go into the Verizon store and score a new Barrage.

    When I went into the store and talked to a rep, I explained that I needed a Motorola phone that used either a mini or micro USB connector, and was capable of tethering.

    The rep also told me that I had to be brought over to a Verizon plan if I wanted to change phones, and here's where it got interesting.

    Before I had selected a phone or agreed to any purchase, the rep (Melissa, Abilene, TX) looked at my plan and features, then removed my mobile web and tethering features from my calling plan. When she put the plan and features back in place, it ended up lowering my monthly allowed minutes by 50, and adding around $25 per month to my bill for the mobile web and tethering packages.

    My base rate was $39.99 for a 500 minute plan, $5.99 for mobile web, and $25.00 for tethering. Data usage on my plan is unlimited.

    Since it was such a significant price increase, I decided to go home and repair my existing phone (had a couple of parts phones handy). I asked the rep to return my account to the way it was before, and went home.

    When I got home, I had a hunch that I should call Verizon and verify that my account had been returned to its pre-molested state. It had not.

    I went back to the store and confronted the manager with this information. He explained that my feature codes were no longer active, but did find a code that would allow me to continue with a new phone on a Verizon plan with mobile web and tethering for a net increase of $5 per month. I agreed, and selected the Barrage phone. When the salesman started getting everything in order, he then informed me that the Barrage was not capable of tethering since the feature was not coming up on his screen. The store manager had gone over several models with me, and represented the Barrage to me as being capable of tethering.

    The manager got re-involved, and told the salesman to process the sale and we would add tethering afterwards. I paid, including re-upping my contract to get the better price (I had been out-of-contract since early 2007). The salesman added the tethering feature, and the net change to my bill ended up being $49 per month!

    I told the manager to refund my money, return my contract expire date back to where it was, and to put everything on my account back the way it was before I set foot in there. He processed the refund, expired my contract that day (he explained that he could not enter a past expiraion date), and then failed to get all the features back in place at their old prices. The way he did it, my bill was $9.00 higher per month and he added a memo in my account to process a $9.00 refund each billing cycle until it was resolved.

    Apparently, this last was just to get me out of his store, since I called Verizon afterwards and they had no record of the refund request, and explained that I would now be billed at the higher rate for bothe mobile web and tethering. The phone rep was able to get mobile web reinstated at the old price, but my tethering is still messed up.

    My question is, who should I call at Verizon who actually has the pull to get my account back to the way it was?

    Thanks

    Tony




    After two trips to their store, combined around 5 1/2 hours of standing at their service counter, and 3 more hours on phone with Verizon support, the 'adjusted' features they found for me to use still is a net gain of $9.00 per month.
    Welcome to Verizon Wireless!

    As for your problem, I don't believe VZW can bring back any legacy Alltel plans once it has been switched. Because you "were" an Alltel customer, the reps don't have any desire to help you, from what I think. If I were you, I would give CS hell and make them give you a credit to your account every month, like the rep supposedly did to your account at the store. Make up a couple of lies and threaten to take your lines to AT&T if they don't make it the way you want it. It worked for me when I had T-Mobile.

    Best of luck to you.

    Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless, goodbye!


    Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    1069/1473
    Posts
    1,112
    Device(s)
    ATNI Alltel: HTC, Telular Box, V262
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, Alltel (ATNI), Verizon, Globalstar
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe best for anyone else who runs into this to buy an Alltel phone on ebay and change the esn their self online.
    If you like your old plan dont even attempt to make a change to it. I think its clear that Verizons goal is to get rid of all the legacy plans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Clark Co., Nevada
    Posts
    3,059
    Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    That was my experience with Cingular -- ANY changes would trigger a move from legacy AT&T to Cingular system and a new two year contract.

    It boils down to this -- live with exactly what you have now with the legacy plan or migrate over to the new company on a new contract, foregoing all of the prior benefits of the legacy plan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6255i
    Carrier(s)
    None
    Feedback Score
    0
    I hear you, didn't want to change plan and don't intend to - ever - if they can fix the problem. There's a reason I haven't bailed already - the coverage in the areas I usually travel to is so much better, especially with tethering, than any other carrier.

    Update: VZW reps turned in a request to have my old feature codes reinstated, and the request was approved. Problem is, nobody knows how to turn them back on, so yet another request has been turned in for approval, spelling out the problem. With the upcoming holiday, I am betting nothing happens very quickly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West End
    Posts
    555
    Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

    I guess you didn't get the memo about not going in the store to make a transaction, the vzw store is for playing with the phones only. After playing with the phone, go home and buy it from the vzw website or dial *611 from your alltel phone to reach the converted dept. The mojority [99.5%] of store reps will screw you, even the ones in the store that stayed on from alltel. I somehow think they get tripple commission & 5 vacation days for getting people off there alltel plan. LOL!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    244
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

    I guess you didn't get the memo about not going in the store to make a transaction, the vzw store is for playing with the phones only. After playing with the phone, go home and buy it from the vzw website or dial *611 from your alltel phone to reach the converted dept. The mojority [99.5%] of store reps will screw you, even the ones in the store that stayed on from alltel. I somehow think they get tripple commission & 5 vacation days for getting people off there alltel plan. LOL!!!
    This is exactly what I recommend as well. I bought a phone off the VZW site for one of my lines and had no problem w/ plan changes or anything. Everything is still "as is" from my Alltel plan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Big D
    Posts
    375
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Foots
    This is exactly what I recommend as well. I bought a phone off the VZW site for one of my lines and had no problem w/ plan changes or anything. Everything is still "as is" from my Alltel plan.
    Definitely agree! I got screwed when I went to the store to get the mifi and they placed a 5Gb cap on my data plan. Though not a big deal since I don't use much data I decided that upgrading my phones would be better done via the web. The good news is that I still have my legacy Alltel plan with new Verizon phones. Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    850
    Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Foots
    This is exactly what I recommend as well. I bought a phone off the VZW site for one of my lines and had no problem w/ plan changes or anything. Everything is still "as is" from my Alltel plan.
    Same here... went to the Verizon site and took advantage of the "new every two" to get my wife a Droid Eris to replace her PPC-6800. Same plan (secondary line on my Alltel SmartChoice plan for my Touch Pro) as I had before. (Shh, don't tell her... it's under the tree all wrapped up for a couple days yet).
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

    For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Black Hills
    Posts
    2,564
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why is it that people actually think companies care what you think or what the problem is? They don't.

    I see on here and elsewhere where people feel AT&T, Alltel, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, etc. all screwed them over for very similar reasons. But what's the natural response by some people? "I'm gonna switch to the other guy!" or "They are just capitalist greedy companies!". Yeah, like the other carrier isn't. For every person that says they switched to another carrier and was glad they did, there is someone complaining about that carrier in the same way you complained about the one you left.

    I just love when people complain about losing a plan, then switch to another carrier. Or think the carrier in general cares about switching you back to that old plan.

    People need to remember, you signed a contract but it was only for no more than 2 years. That contract is not binding for the life of that phone or as long as you have service with them. Thus why you sign a 1 or 2 year contract. After that it's fair game. Like it or not. Continuing with it after 2 years is a fair service. But it doesn't mean they have to allow it.

    "But I signed a contract for that plan! So I deserve to have it as long as I want."

    Yes, you signed it for 2 years and not longer. If you are past that 2 years without a renewal of the contract, you are out of contract and thus having it for longer is a courtesy and nothing more. Why you (or others) feel entitled to it is beyond me. It may be the plan you want and started with. But thinking you are entitled to it forever is foolish and irresponsible IMO. That's the reality of it all.

    People are not entitled to keep the same plan forever regardless of what they think, and regardless of how many companies get bought out since you are no longer under that 2 year contract with your previous carrier. Other companies don't allow keeping the same thing indefinetly, so what makes cell carriers so indifferent?

    It doesn't matter IMO who's fault this was or why it was their fault. This was going to happen sooner or later. Time to get with the times IMO.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6255i
    Carrier(s)
    None
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update: Verizon corporate reinstated my plan with correct features and prices, added 10% off bill for 6 months to boot. Still out of contract, if I re-up it will probably be a data-only plan, with voice and SMS business going to Straight Talk.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    26
    Device(s)
    LG Glimmer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Simply go to this FCC Website and file a complaint and explain in details what they did. They will have to explain to the FCC what they did and how they are going to correct it and they have a limited amount of time to do it.

    http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel Plan on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spctrbytz
    Update: Verizon corporate reinstated my plan with correct features and prices, added 10% off bill for 6 months to boot. Still out of contract, if I re-up it will probably be a data-only plan, with voice and SMS business going to Straight Talk.
    It's very simple to upgrade your phone. Just do it on the web site. I did this last month (to go to a Droid), you just search go into your VZW account and click upgrade (or something like that). It will go through the purchase process, and you won't have to mess with rebates. Very easy and doesn't alter your plan.

Bookmarks