Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed with PPC phone purchase

Feedback Score

Angry Very disappointed with PPC phone purchase

The web is still heavily neutered. I can not use their option to get ringtones at all. It only gives me a 3328 error. It does this for trying to get new applications or ringtones etc.

I purchased their most expensive phone LG VX-8300 and I got a refurbished phone. Phone has scratches and nicks on it. The battery is complete crap! From a full charge to 1 bar remaining in 6 hours without using it hardly in a good evdo coverage zone. Smart pda phones have better battery life then this by over 100%! In those 6 hours 2 text messages were sent and that was it. It was closed the rest of the time. The rubber over the headphone jack is so pushed in I had to get it out with a pin. At the bottom of the phone there is a gray rubber piece that comes out to put the charger in it. I think it's supposed to stay attached to the phone, but it just simply falls out constantly. The phone has been talked on for 140:02:45! The battery life shows it as well

The phone came with photocopied instructions with skewed pictures. There was no protection around the phone at all. It had the battery installed and was just lose and sliding around in a rectangular area of the box. The only other thing in the box was a brochure of their prices and a power adapter.

Even trying to use their main page to check email it tells me my phone isn't supported from the very first link on their home page. (It will kind of work, but it cuts the text off) pretty pointless.

I get an error every time I try to download an IM program. Same error (3328) Unable to retrieve catalog. Please try again later.

I was OK with a refurb (even though their website blantantly lies and I was expecting a NEW phone as it was their highest one and it doesn't say refurb on it) as long as it wasn't junk. They sent me junk.

Feedback Score
    I'd be ticked off too. Verizon LG 8300s in good used condition are way cheaper even though they don't have the web configs.

Liberty Wireless has inconsistent quality on their phones too.

But at least those are free. And smartphones. The LG you bought was neither.

I would ask for a refund or exchange. Not supported? That's the whole point of getting a PPC phone. Might as well just get a used Verizon at that point.

Unless it's the PPC flakey website issues, not the phone.

Feedback Score
    I thought about getting another Verizon prepaid, but then I'll be back to the data leaking and wasting money again and I'd rather not do that again.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Your paying them a little over a dollar a day, for unlimited Talk and Text... And they throw in a 20mb of casual data use for free... You bought a phone thats over 2 years old, what more do you expect? buy a better phone if you dont like it, buy any verizon phone and activate it on your number... There are 100 ways to fix your problems, complaining does nothing...

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalcom01
    Your paying them a little over a dollar a day, for unlimited Talk and Text... And they throw in a 20mb of casual data use for free... You bought a phone thats over 2 years old, what more do you expect? buy a better phone if you dont like it, buy any verizon phone and activate it on your number... There are 100 ways to fix your problems, complaining does nothing...
    He has a right to complain. Buying a Page Plus handset is the ONLY way to get all the Page Plus features. A refurb should not be in poor condition, It should at least have a brand new housing. The Page Plus handsets I purchased to sell are in perfect condition.

After I got the handsets, they had trouble keeping them in stock - sound like they are taking some shortcuts to keep up with demand.

@mobileboost: I would take out a trouble ticket and list all the things you said here. They should be willing to make it good. If not, they have some bad PR coming.
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF

Carrier(s)
    Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalcom01
    complaining does nothing...
    oh yes it does ...

Carrier(s)
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    people buying these Pageplus phones should do something useful and strip the ROMs out of the phones so we can extract the needed data to make monsterpacks and flashable ROMs for other phones.

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    pick up something like a vx8360 off of craigslist for about $60. i kinda always had a bad feeling about buying phones off the PP website.

oh well. you live and you learn.

plus, texting on the 8300 is horrid!!! those uneven keys give me nightmares. lol.

Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

Device(s)
    Motorola RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (for now),
    Feedback Score
    I also just purchased a PP LG VX-8300. I noticed that although their website doesn't explicitly say it's "new," it's the only phone they currently sell which isn't labeled "refurbished," so I assumed it was new. I'm not sure if mine is refurbished or not--it appears to be in perfect condition, except my battery also only lasts less than a day and a half, and that's just on standby. I have a service ticket in on that one. My biggest problem is reception at my home, and I'm wondering if I would have been better off getting their Motorola E815. Does anybody have any experience to help me compare the two?

Some background: almost two years ago I was a happy Verizon contract customer (happy except for the cost) but moved to a new house where my Samsung SCH-a670 had lousy reception, but it worked fine nearly everywhere else in town. I switched to an AT&T contract and a Motorola Razr2 V9, which does work somewhat better at my home, but now I'm getting tired of the monthly bills, which is why I'm planning to switch to Page Plus and cut my phone bill in half. In my few days of testing this LG VX-8300, it seems like I may be right back to where I was 2 years ago in terms of reception quality at home. Motorolas seem to have a good reputation for signal strength & call quality, and I can't really tell if the problem at my home is Verizon's network or the handsets I've chosen. Other people here at the house have had Verizon (usually with Blackberries) and AT&T and Sprint, and don't seem to have the trouble I have, which is why I suspect handset issues.

Thoughts? Especially on LG VX-8300 vs. Motorola e815 and signal strength/call quality?

Thanks,
    ...Chuck

P.S. While I was posting this, I got an email from PP Customer Support that they're sending me a new battery. I also just submitted a support ticket to them asking the same basic questions I posted above. So far I've had pretty good experiences dealing with their Customer Support, as long as I'm a little patient, which is easier to do considering how much money I hope to save by them.

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    The E815 is a great handset - one of the most sensitive ever made. Only downside is a flaky charger port.

Please ask handset questions in the subforum, otherwise this thread will get locked. Probably going to get locked anyway.

Device(s)
    Motorola RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (for now),
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback on the e815. Sorry about using wrong forum. I'll try to repost my specific handset question in the correct spot (although I've got to say that I've always found these wiki forums to have a generally confusing, non-intuitive interface, making it relatively difficult to search and scan and find what I'm looking for, and I've just spent the last couple of hours straight searching & reading, starting with the FAQ).

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smithchuck
    I also just purchased a PP LG VX-8300. I noticed that although their website doesn't explicitly say it's "new," it's the only phone they currently sell which isn't labeled "refurbished," so I assumed it was new. I'm not sure if mine is refurbished or not--it appears to be in perfect condition, except my battery also only lasts less than a day and a half, and that's just on standby. I have a service ticket in on that one. My biggest problem is reception at my home, and I'm wondering if I would have been better off getting their Motorola E815. Does anybody have any experience to help me compare the two?

Some background: almost two years ago I was a happy Verizon contract customer (happy except for the cost) but moved to a new house where my Samsung SCH-a670 had lousy reception, but it worked fine nearly everywhere else in town. I switched to an AT&T contract and a Motorola Razr2 V9, which does work somewhat better at my home, but now I'm getting tired of the monthly bills, which is why I'm planning to switch to Page Plus and cut my phone bill in half. In my few days of testing this LG VX-8300, it seems like I may be right back to where I was 2 years ago in terms of reception quality at home. Motorolas seem to have a good reputation for signal strength & call quality, and I can't really tell if the problem at my home is Verizon's network or the handsets I've chosen. Other people here at the house have had Verizon (usually with Blackberries) and AT&T and Sprint, and don't seem to have the trouble I have, which is why I suspect handset issues.

Thoughts? Especially on LG VX-8300 vs. Motorola e815 and signal strength/call quality?

Thanks,
    ...Chuck

P.S. While I was posting this, I got an email from PP Customer Support that they're sending me a new battery. I also just submitted a support ticket to them asking the same basic questions I posted above. So far I've had pretty good experiences dealing with their Customer Support, as long as I'm a little patient, which is easier to do considering how much money I hope to save by them.
    e815. hands down. best reception out of any verizon phone i ever used. but wow. you went from a v9m to an vx8300? that's a pretty big jump. i would of been looking for people to trade for a decent verizon phone that wasn't 4 years old. or 5 years old like the e815.

now that i think about it, i have a couple of phones in the closet that are older than my daughter. lol.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Call them up tell them it said nothing about USED phone (or even refurbished) 140 hours is not much, I already have 60 hours on my 1 month old U350... but still a lot for a phone that many people would think is new (as it doesn't say otherwise)
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary
    Call them up tell them it said nothing about USED phone (or even refurbished) 140 hours is not much, I already have 60 hours on my 1 month old U350... but still a lot for a phone that many people would think is new (as it doesn't say otherwise)

i have you topped on this one.

i have 561 hours on my 4 month voyager. and my battery lasts me about 561 seconds. lol.

that's the thing with LG phones though. the batteries are perfect when you get them, but after a couple of months, you notice a DRAMATIC difference in the life. like the vx3200 i also had. that was the worst of them all. i've never used another phone with a battery life span as bad as an LG.

Device(s)
    LG-VX8300
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All refurbished handsets are not created equal! See the ReCellular website for a description of the different quality of refurbished handsets: http://www.recellular.com/find/index.asp Sounds like PP is selling "call tested cell phones".

From the ReCellular website:

Call Tested Cell Phones:

* Power up
    * Digital call capable
    * LCD in working condition
    * Keypad present
    * No water damage or external corrosion
    * Flip phones connected by at least one hinge
    * Cosmetic conditions vary
    * 30-day warranty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast