Thread: First iDEN Android handset reported cleared by FCC 3/5/10

Device(s)
    IC902&TP2&Pre
    Carrier(s)
    SPRINTNEXTEL
    Feedback Score

First iDEN Android handset reported cleared by FCC 3/5/10

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...droid-handset/

Mod Edit: I removed the question mark from your title and gave the thread some sticktion.
    Apparently this is no longer a rumor. Submitted to FCC on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 and it was reportedly cleared yesterday, March, 5, 2010.

>> https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...d=%27IHDP56KV1
    Last edited by YoDude; 03-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Part of me hopes it comes to Nextel, part of me hopes it doesn't. Unfortunately we don't even have WiDEN, so data would be horrifically slow, and there are already some capacity issues that this would only exacerbate. On the other hand, it'd be nice to have PTT on an actual smartphone.

3G where I go with AT&T > GPRS where I go with T-Mobile and "4G" where I don't.

I'm your typical 21 year old gay guy, or as we prefer to be called "Family-wrecking AIDS-mongers" waging what I call "The Homo-Jihad" against Sprint. That's what they get for destroying Nextel.

Feedback Score
    Using Opera Mini, iDEN data is fast enough, believe it or not. But I can't see too many people spending $400 on an iDEN smartphone.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer
    Using Opera Mini, iDEN data is fast enough, believe it or not. But I can't see too many people spending $400 on an iDEN smartphone.
    For light browsing, yes, but once people start trying to use things like Pandora, and the Android Marketplace it's going to be a HUGE disappointment.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer
    That's what WiFi is for ie: 3G/4G via a MiFi device or a pocket router. If I had that phone it actually would be connecting via 3G and 4G WiMAX not iDEN. Broadband for all my network devices, including an iDEN Smartphone.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati
    That's what WiFi is for ie: 3G/4G via a MiFi device or a pocket router. If I had that phone it actually would be connecting via 3G and 4G WiMAX not iDEN. Broadband for all my network devices, including an iDEN Smartphone.
    That works out okay for some people, but most people don't want to carry a second device around, and they especially don't want to pay for a MiFi or something of that nature.

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    no bullisht?

i actually might think about opening up my boost line again, if data is resolved.

or is this one of those stupid powersource hybrid phones?

anyways, looks nice. but sms and data need vast improvement. fast.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grandhustle413
    no bullisht?

i actually might think about opening up my boost line again, if data is resolved.

or is this one of those stupid powersource hybrid phones?

anyways, looks nice. but sms and data need vast improvement. fast.
    Data will NEVER be resolved without having an upgrade path for iDEN, which was originally supposed to be CDMA, but Sprint just culled that (QChat).

Honestly, a hybrid would be the best bet for data, assuming it only used CDMA for data and potentially messaging.

But, this is a pure iDEN device.

And messaging is somewhat better, but still questionable in some markets, and still has weird issues because it's entirely MMS based.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.tyler
    That works out okay for some people, but most people don't want to carry a second device around, and they especially don't want to pay for a MiFi or something of that nature.
    That would only be necessary when someone would be physically mobile, but easily done. Majority of any destination where a subscriber would be wanting to use a "high speed" application has WiFi which is generally free to use, iDEN would be back up. In any major metro city WiFi hotspots are numerous.

As an example my brother-in-law is a die hard iPhone fanatic, he never uses 3G only WiFi. 3G doesn't cut it for most "high speed" apps anyway.

$47.04 = Unlimited Everything Boost Mobile

$62.37 = Unlimited 4G & 5GB Sprint 3G Data
    --------
    $109.41 Total Due

One thing to note, I've used my 4G data for my only broadband ISP since Jan 2nd.

This is a high-speed data connection for many WiFi devices not just a Smartphone and a Notebook. Going forward there will soon be apps where 3G simply won't cut it anymore.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati
    That would only be necessary when someone would be physically mobile. Majority of any destination where a subscriber would be wanting to use a "high speed" application has WiFi which is generally free to use, iDEN would be back up. In any major metro city WiFi hotspots are numerous.

As an example my brother-in-law is a die hard iPhone fanatic, he never uses 3G only WiFi. 3G doesn't cut it for most "high speed" apps anyway.

My total bill for Boost Mobile Unlimited Everything + Sprint 3G + Unlimited 4G = $110 total amount due. This would give a subscriber a data connection for many WiFi devices not just a Smartphone and a Notebook.
    Again, that's if you're in an urban area. I agree, many times I find myself using WiFi when I'm in Lancaster, but when I'm in Mt. Pocono, there's no WiFi to be found in MOST restaurants, coffee shops, etc. because of how quiet of an area it is.

And, I can use Pandora fairly comfortably on EDGE most of the time. There are the times when it'll throttle out, but it's pretty rare. In fact, I find EDGE to be suitable for most of my mobile uses, but Pandora is really the only "multimedia" thing I do from my phone.

I just don't think the average consumer is going to say "Oh, this phone is cool! Let me get this on Nextel, then buy a Sprint MiFi too so I get decent data!" I think it's more likely that someone will just buy a CDMA device.

Do I think some people will buy it and enjoy it? Absolutely. I don't know that it's a device for the masses though.

Feedback Score
    If you want on its on ebay now. I am not the seller by the way just showing that it does exist.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nextel-Motorola-...#ht_718wt_1027

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Just interesting. Just found the phone ehh.. Like those back truck specials.

Device(s)
    Android, Windows
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    IF Nextel dose indeed get this, i will become a Nextel Customer again. This will be out when???? 1st or 2nd half of 2010?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wam
    IF Nextel dose indeed get this, i will become a Nextel Customer again. This will be out when???? 1st or 2nd half of 2010?
    http://speedywap.com/6196/motorola-p...phone-on-2010/
    Named as Opus 1, it is the first Android-based iDEN phone that will be manufactured by Mirs, an Israel-based subsidiary targeted for niche commercial market.

No official details on it yet, the Android based device is expected to reach Israel commercial market by early of 2010..

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hlight=android

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350949,00.asp

"Our core strategy really is to take Android ... as low down the feature phone tier as we possibly can, by bringing in smartphone features," Jha said.

Nextel and Boost's iDen technology will still feel love from Motorola, with the manufacturer confirming some Nextel/Boost compatible Android smartphones.

"We appear to have pretty good traction with iDen," Jha said.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast