Thread: N900 UMA calling through t-mobile hot spot?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

N900 UMA calling through t-mobile hot spot?

I don't think it's something that the N900 is set up to do straight out of the box but do you think this would be possible to do?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe when the T-mo release comes it will. I guess you could go to maemo.org and interrupt the chest thumping to see if they'll help you. Over here nobody does anything but TALK about the phone.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    Maybe when the T-mo release comes it will. I guess you could go to maemo.org and interrupt the chest thumping to see if they'll help you. Over here nobody does anything but TALK about the phone.
    Um, that would be the forum at maemo.org and not the organization on a whole. There are wiki's, IRC, and project garages too.
    I have stickied some of the WiKi's at the top of our forum. Check them out and see what you can find.
    VOIP is one of the strong points of Maemo and it is not restricted on the device in any way that I know of. By UMA calling are you saying T-mo provides a gateway to their GSM and GPRS mobile services at their hot spots?

Device(s)
    iphone 3G, Nokia Arte, BB 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    That would be NO

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    By UMA calling are you saying T-mo provides a gateway to their GSM and GPRS mobile services at their hot spots?
    Yes, T-mobile has UMA enabled phones that will automatically switch to their hot spots or any wifi you have previously connected to if you are receiving weak reception or no signal. I have a Samsung T336 that I use for UMA. It hands off from cell to wifi very well with no interruption. You can't even tell when it does. It's really a nice feature to have if you live, work, travel, or frequent buildings that have weak or no signal. There's not too many places I go without finding an open wifi.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-z
    Yes, T-mobile has UMA enabled phones that will automatically switch to their hot spots or any wifi you have previously connected to if you are receiving weak reception or no signal. I have a Samsung T336 that I use for UMA. It hands off from cell to wifi very well with no interruption. You can't even tell when it does. It's really a nice feature to have if you live, work, travel, or frequent buildings that have weak or no signal. There's not too many places I go without finding an open wifi.
    Cool... I wonder what that connection script looks like.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    UMA is really cool. It was so useful when i was travelling abroad and used Wifi to make calls on my T-Mo cellphone. The Wifi was like a personal cell tower of mine. I'm not sure if N900 would be able to connect via UMA because it might be hardware dependent. That's the reason why T-Mobiles Curve has UMA while the same BB on AT&T does't. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    According to this thread over at talk.maemo.org (prior to the release and all the ruckus) there's no plan to implement UMA on the N900. It looks like the dealbreaker may be the hardware assisted CODEC required to make it work.

A shame really. I'm sitting here bathed in Wifi and one lonely 2.5G bar from TMO (but great if I go upstairs... have to look for an amplifier).
    nothing to see here... move along....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I use UMA when ever I am at home. Great to talk on the phone and still get my mail and browse the web. Cell signal in the basement is very weak so UMA is like gods great gift.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This phone should be powerful enough to implement whatever CODEC in software right? The thing is that the volumes it will sell isn't worth it for T-mo to develop the software. Now Nokia if it were on the ball could implement some API to make it simple for carriers around the world to implement the software CODEC.

VERY few things in the world need dedicated hardware least of all simple VOIP. The only thing I could hardware being needed is possibly for some hardware based encryption but I somehow doubt that is happening.

Anyway the info is conflicting right now:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

EDIT: Looks like it could just need a Settings App: http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1381379

Well that would have been a nice application to release this phone with. It would have made a lot of sense seeing as it is targeted at T-mobile (USA) and T-mobile isn't exactly known for its coverage and my recent brief experience with it led me to believe that isn't so great either. UMA is probably going to be the way the T-mobile makes its network decent at a very low cost. They too seem to be stalling.

So I guess its within the realm of possibility. Maybe that's really something to sic on the community. That would be an impressive statement about this platform if it happened, sooner rather than later.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Dang ... This should be so simple on a wifi/voip enabled phone and no one knows the answer. Expecially on a phone that's capable of handing over a connection automatically between the cell net and wifi it just errrr..... fustrates me. I really don't see why this wouldn't be possible. The UMA configuration/settings seems to be a well gaurded secret.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, UMA software is a closely guarded secret. But if you could get your hands on it, it should work on this phone and if it was generic it should work on every carrier with the proper settings.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile UMA requires both hardware and software to work.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet
    T-Mobile UMA requires both hardware and software to work.

Do you know what the hardware is doing? I can't imagine anything but encryption/authentication.