Thread: Account hijacked - didn't change security code

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score

Account hijacked - didn't change security code

Yesterday my prepaid account was hijacked. Someone gave my correct security code, which was the default last 4 digits of my phone number, and got a new number with a new ESN. I found this out by talking to prepaid customer service and tech support (escalated from customer support). Tech support supervisor refused to reinstate my account.

Customer service supervisor told me that if the last 4 digits of the phone number is the verification code, additional verification information should have been attempted. Tech support supervisor refused to accept this as correct policy. She says there is nothing more to do; the account is in good order by verizon policy.

Does anyone here have another route I can try to reclaim my account? Any email or phone number for the executive offices?

By the way, I can still view the account and new number with myverizon online account. I verified that the daily charge was taken and that one call was answered and charged at the new number. That apparently was my call to the new number from home phone. The person answering said he just got service activated yesterday. Myverizon says the account is in warren, nj. The new phone number remained a Kansas exchange (mine).

Device(s)
    LG 145
    Carrier(s)
    Current: iWireless (Fred Meyer/Kroger)
    Feedback Score
    If you can login to your account online, can you put in a request to cancel service that way? Or maybe use your account information to request a "port" to another carrier? Or watch the list of phone numbers of incoming and outgoing calls, and then contact a few of those folks yourself?

Oh, also, do talk to police. Whether this action has broken any statute laws or whether your local police have jurisdiction over it is not certain to me, but at least ask to file a fraud report. Perhaps there is a chance police investigators may be able to leverage more cooperation from the cooperate giant than mean-nothing consumers like you and I.
    Last edited by powwowtime; 12-04-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more suggestions

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    All of the things you suggest will not get me my money back. Verizon prepaid uses the security code as the absolute authority for all agent assisted account changes.

If I had forgotten the security code, I couldn't make any agent assisted changes myself.

I had never realized before how important it is.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    I was able to regain control over the account with my online access. I changed the ESN online back to my phone. I then changed the security question and answer. I called customer service and had the phone number changed (apparently you get one free change per year). The hijacker only used about $3 of my balance.

I wonder what they will do now that their phone is dead. Will they call customer service and then a fight will begin between us and Verizon over who owns the account?

Device(s)
    LG 145
    Carrier(s)
    Current: iWireless (Fred Meyer/Kroger)
    Feedback Score
    Glad to see that you got it back, in any case.

Device(s)
    Switch_Back
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas
    I was able to regain control over the account with my online access. I changed the ESN online back to my phone. I then changed the security question and answer. I called customer service and had the phone number changed (apparently you get one free change per year). The hijacker only used about $3 of my balance.

I wonder what they will do now that their phone is dead. Will they call customer service and then a fight will begin between us and Verizon over who owns the account?
    if the money was billed to YOU - that means YOU own the account.

correct?

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. -- Edward R. Murrow

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    prepaid accounts are not owned, in the sense of the wireless carrier having a contract. They just supply service to whoever uses the phone that has had money put in the account. Verizon makes it easy to change the phone without losing your money. Others have you lose your money when you change phones. But this means that someone with your security code can take over "ownership" of your account; and put their own phone on the account, and change the number and all other aspects of "ownership".

I was saved by having a myverizon online account, that is not hijacked when the security code is used to change account items with an agent.

Beware of keeping too much money in the account, because it can be hijacked by anyone with your security code.

Note that even though I told verizon customer service that I had an online account, none of their four agents and supervisors told me I could hijack the accout back online. This just occured to me as I was looking through the account online to see what the hijacker was doing with it.

Feedback Score
    Note, I know of one company that does not use the last 4 digits of the phone, all they require is the phone number and the esn number of the phone in use before they will port or do an esn change. I am surprised it went through without an esn number required.

You might want to change the password that you use to login to your verizon prepaid account online.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmthomas
    I then changed the security question and answer.
    But ... did you also change the security code?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart
    But ... did you also change the security code?

Yes, Agent changed security code after I answered new security queston correctly.
    I then changed it again online.

Feedback Score
    Is the code for voice mail something separate? When I set up voice mail, I was asked to make up a code number for that.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile prepay
    Feedback Score
    yes, it is separate, could be the same if you want