Hybrid View

Device(s)
    A LOT
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Nokia plans just one Linux phone next year

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...5AT1D520091130

HELSINKI (Reuters) - The world's top cellphone maker, Nokia, plans to install Linux software on just one new smartphone next year, a source with direct knowledge of Nokia's product roadmap told Reuters.

A Nokia spokesman said the company does not comment on future product plans.

Nokia's Linux Maemo operating system is seen as a key for the top cellphone maker in its battle against Apple's iPhone, and many analysts and industry players have expected the firm to roll out numerous Linux models already next year.

Nokia started to sell its first Linux phone, the top-of-the-range model N900, this month.

The plan for just one Linux phone also dampens rumors the company would replace the Symbian operating system in its line-up.

"We remain firmly committed to Symbian as our smartphone platform of choice," the Nokia spokesman said.

Nokia will hold its capital markets day on Wednesday, an event where the firm traditionally has outlined or updated its strategy for the coming 1-2 years.

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Personally, I doubt this is going to happen. I can see a couple coming out, the "n920" and another with a keyboard.

edit: especially seeing how well the n900 seems to be selling.

Feedback Score
    Even if it doesn't happen next year, it's only a matter of time before we see the usual flooding of similar phones by nokia, in this case running maemo 6.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's fine. Let them first fix what they release.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    That's fine. Let them first fix what they release.
    Exactly. Focus on one software/hardware set and make it work. Part of Nokia's issues with Symbian is its fragmentation over so many different handsets.

The upside to the N900 is that I expect to see Maemo 6 running on it once it's available.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just want a WCDMA 850/1900 compatible version of the N900 first....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    They have said it over and over and over again the N900 is the 4th out of 5th device in the Maemo. This is not news.

I just hope the next device is the N900 and then some:
    802.11n support, multitouch capacitive touchscreen (although I dont like it and you cannot use the phone without bare fingers, sucks for winter conditions but alot of *****es cry), all frequencies support (so no whiny *****es cry), strong strong STRONG marketing, provider backup and marketing, portrait for everything, all Bluetooth profiles supported, full HSDPA/HSUPA and HSPA+ support, bigger battery (maybe even a solar solution), full source code to Maemo, more onboard memory storage/eMMC, and SDHC support. Xenon flash is impossible as it makes the device bigger and mobile devices nowadays cant get much bigger. That would make the perfect mobile device.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riahc3
    They have said it over and over and over again the N900 is the 4th out of 5th device in the Maemo. This is not news.

I just hope the next device is the N900 and then some:
    802.11n support, multitouch capacitive touchscreen (although I dont like it and you cannot use the phone without bare fingers, sucks for winter conditions but alot of *****es cry), all frequencies support (so no whiny *****es cry), strong strong STRONG marketing, provider backup and marketing, portrait for everything, all Bluetooth profiles supported, full HSDPA/HSUPA and HSPA+ support, bigger battery (maybe even a solar solution), full source code to Maemo, more onboard memory storage/eMMC, and SDHC support. Xenon flash is impossible as it makes the device bigger and mobile devices nowadays cant get much bigger. That would make the perfect mobile device.

Trust me when I say I have seen digital cameras thinner than this pack a Xenon flash.

The device should just have current market functionality that is finished and tested that's all it would take. Some decent apps would be nice.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    Trust me when I say I have seen digital cameras thinner than this pack a Xenon flash.
    Point out the model. I believe I havent seen any.

Ah and of course this model must also include Wifi and Bluetooth.

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riahc3
    The N900 and maemo 5 are the 4th out of 5 steps, not the 4th out of 5 devices.

Maemo 6 is the 5th of 5 steps.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canabal
    The N900 and maemo 5 are the 4th out of 5 steps, not the 4th out of 5 devices.

Maemo 6 is the 5th of 5 steps.
    http://webcast.nokia.com/CCUIv3/fram...lash-video-500

Get some popcorn; Its a hour long video but it will prove that Nokia is talking about devices...

If you dont want to:
    OS2005 - 1st Maemo OS
    OS2006 - 2nd Maemo OS
    OS2007 - 3rd Maemo OS
    OS2008 - 4th Maemo OS
    Maemo 5 - 5th Maemo OS
    "Maemo 6" - 6th Maemo OS

770 - First step
    N800 - Second step
    N810 - Third step
    (N810 WiMAX Edition - Forth step)
    N900 - Forth step (including the N810WE fifth step)
    ? - Fifth step (including the N810WE sixth step)

It took me 5 minutes to search this....
    I should just link to this post in my sig :P

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Clearly Nokia doesn't want to make money on smartphones... that's too bad. They have yet to get the N900 subsidized on T-mobile USA, are still not using a capacitive touchscreen, etc. I'll stick to Android.
    Usman

Device(s)
    N97, E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uansari
    Clearly Nokia doesn't want to make money on smartphones... that's too bad. They have yet to get the N900 subsidized on T-mobile USA, are still not using a capacitive touchscreen, etc. I'll stick to Android.
    1) What makes you so sure that Nokia is the reason that T-Mobile hasn't subsidized it?

2) I can assure you Nokia is making money off of the N900, and will make even more after Maemo 6 hits.

Device(s)
    Nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Over on engadget... cut and past...

It's Nokia Capital Market Day again which means that the boys from Espoo are fawning over investors and giving them a reason to stick around in 2010. And you know what? It sure sounds promising for gadget nerds. Why the optimism? Easy: Nokia is hell-bent on redefining the user experience of its Symbian devices. To quote CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, "In 2010, we will drive user experience improvements, and the progress we make will take the Symbian user interface to a new level." To bolster this proclamation, the very first bullet point listed under Nokia's Devices and Services operational priorities is "improve our user experience" -- something that would thrill us to no end if it happens.

The revamped Symbian UI is set to deliver on two "major product milestones" in the first and second halves of the year. Nokia will also deliver its first Maemo 6 "mobile computer" in the second half of 2010 flanked by a significantly increased proportion of "touch and/or QWERTY devices" in its smartphone portfolio. It's worth noting that all the discussion is around Symbian, just a single mention of Maemo and its "iconic user experience" in the forward looking press release. Developers will be happy to hear that Nokia will also continue to scale services geographically while continuing to enhance its developer tools like QT4.6 announced yesterday. Financially speaking, Nokia expects to see the erosion of its average selling price slowed compared to recent years. That's good as Nokia attempts to grow its margins. However, while Nokia expects mobile device volumes to be up approximately 10% in 2010 across the industry, it sees its own mobile device volume market share as flat in 2010, compared to 2009.

My take is that its hard to make much of a guestimate as to the upcoming handsets based on that. I am thinking this might mean maemo 6 on something along the lines of an N9XX as their next maemo device and we wont see it til the aformentioned 2nd half.