Thread: Removing Built-in Apps?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Removing Built-in Apps?

I'm curious about possibly removing some of the installed apps since they don't have Uninstall options.

The ones I have in mind I don't THINK are tied into other functionality. Right off the bat would be Amazon MP3. I will never, ever use this. High on the list as well is Verizon's Visual Voicemail.

Possible Corporate Calendar and the Exchange e-mail app.

How does one pull that off?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I assume you have the Droid considering it's the only device that Verizon has.

In that case, afaik the phone is not rooted yet so no you can not remove the files. Once the phone is rooted, and you have root access you will be able to remove the apps. Just be careful as some apps are tied into the OS, so removing them can affect your phone. I'm not sure which ones those are though.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Didn't you already ask this on the main Android forum, and weren't you told the same thing evilbaby just told you?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't think so but I'm not as young as I used to be so maybe I did and forgot. I just checked and didn't see such a dialogue take place. If I did I'll consider turning myself into the authorities and beg for a quick death.

Feedback Score

I think I may have figured out how to do this..

I think I may have figured out how to do this. In Astro File Manager go up from the default screen it opens on (should be the SD card). Then navigate to the folder labeled system then to the folder labeled apps. Click on the app you want to uninstall and open it with the application manager. It should give you an option to uninstall.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sickboy1977
    I think I may have figured out how to do this. In Astro File Manager go up from the default screen it opens on (should be the SD card). Then navigate to the folder labeled system then to the folder labeled apps. Click on the app you want to uninstall and open it with the application manager. It should give you an option to uninstall.
    I just tried that and it doesn't work. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait to be rooted. Did this work for you?

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately I jumped the gun in posting. After seeing the uninstall option I made the wrong minded assumption that it was that simple. I guess not. I'm still looking into a different option.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Same deal here. Tried to remove Visual Voicemail and it offered it but then just said the uninstall was unsuccessful. Doh.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When poking around with Astro, you can get into the directory where a lot of these apps are stored, and then you do have the option of deleting them. I wasn't quite willing to risk it, even on something like the Amazon MP3 thing which is likely harmless.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2
    When poking around with Astro, you can get into the directory where a lot of these apps are stored, and then you do have the option of deleting them. I wasn't quite willing to risk it, even on something like the Amazon MP3 thing which is likely harmless.
    That's exactly what I tried deleting. No luck unfortunately.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i'm still waiting for this to be figured out as well. In the mean time, I used pandahome to hide all of the default programs that I don't use, so they don't even show up in my app drawer. better than nothing...