Thread: Older smartphones now also require $29.99 data plan

Feedback Score

Exclamation Older smartphones now also require $29.99 data plan

Kinda long, but please read and take notice if you planned on buying an older smartphone because it didn't require a data plan:

So I let my brother use my 2 year credit so he could get the droid. In order to get it on his let, I had to order it on my line, activate it on my line first, then finally activate it on his.

When I reactivated my i760, I noticed I couldn't choose the pay per usage, only the minimum of $29.99/month smartphone data plan. I called and according to customer service, since Sunday November 8, they made some changes.

Any smartphone(even if it's an older one like the i760) activated after November 8th, requires the $29.99 data plan. I got the i760 for the same reason most of you did...smartphone with wifi/no data plan attached. It used to be that they only required it on the newer ones....since Nov. 8, it's different.

If your i760 was activated before Nov. 8th, the 29.99 is not applied automatically. However, if you make changes to your plan(i.e. add minutes) you'll no longer have to choice of "pay per usage", only the 29.99 one and the 44.99 one.

---They made another similar change too... They're requiring a minimum data plan of $9.99(25mb..what can I do with that?!...) for "multimedia" phones. I was aware they would start requiring it on the new "multimedia phones" like the chocolate touch, but they're also doing it for the older EnV touch and mostly likely the dare, versa, etc. This is really annoying.

In summary: If you're looking to get the i760 or activate one, know that you'll have to get the $29.99 data plan with it. Older smartphones being excluded from this no longer applies....I am angry and disappointed with verizon.

Device(s)
    LG enV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Now I might as well upgrade to a newer smart phone since I have to pay the 30 bucks a month anyways.

Feedback Score
    I'd be good to get some confirmation about this, since just word from customer service isn't really not enough. There hasn't been anything posted anywhere about any changes related to PDA/BB phone data pricing, so it'd be jumping the gun to say that it's the case.

Yes, there was a change on November 8th I believe to simply include the LG enV Touch in the Enhanced Multimedia Phone category (where people who buy it from that date on would need to get a data feature/plan), but that doesn't apply to those who already had the phone at that point, it still doesn't apply to the LG Chocolate Touch, and it's unrelated to anything PDA/BB phone-related.

Feedback Score
    When I reactivated my old smartphone after November 8th, I no longer had the option online to choose "pay per usage". Before, verizon online did show the "pay per usage" option on old smartphones. That's a confirmation. I'll try to find an official word, just to be 100% sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diego15nets
    When I reactivated my old smartphone after November 8th, I no longer had the option online to choose "pay per usage". Before, verizon online did show the "pay per usage" option on old smartphones. That's a confirmation. I'll try to find an official word, just to be 100% sure.
    Well, the fact that something didn't show online doesn't necessarily mean there's a change in the policy. There have been cases where there are bugs with things online and they do change various online services all the time trying to improve or tweak them. That being said, even if the pay-per-use option isn't displayed, what happens if you don't select any data feature that is presented and continue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    That being said, even if the pay-per-use option isn't displayed, what happens if you don't select any data feature that is presented and continue?
    If you don't select a data feature(by not checking the box), they'll let you continue, but in the end(just before submitting your order), it automatically applies the minimum required data plan, which is $29.99 for a smartphone.

I know many people say "why get a smartphone without a data plan", but many customers liked being able to pick up an older smartphone like the i760(even though they are a little outdated, they have many functions dumbphones still don't have) without being required to choose a data plan. That option was there and not its gone, because "verizon is trying move all their phones into a better direction towards 3G...including the i760"-as the CS guy said...

edit/update: I brought up this topic in another forum(link ) and this person got a different response from customer service:

I called Verizon today specifically asking about this phone. One rep gave me a list of phones that strictly require the data plan. They are as follows:

htc droid eris
    htc amaggio
    htc ozone
    htc touch diamond
    htc touch pro
    htc touch pro 2
    motorola droid
    rim blackberry
    12 other blackberries
    samsung omnia
    samsung saga
    htc smt5800
    htc mogul vx6800
    htc touch vx6900

Any other phone will not require a data plan. I talked to a second rep (from tech support). I brought up the SCH-i760 specifically and he said that it does not require the data plan and that they could put a full data block on the account if I wanted. The word was that any data phone released after Nov. 17, 2008 would require the data plan.

The SCH-i760 will not require a data plan from Verizon, the SCH-i770 (AKA Samsung Saga) will.
    Looks like they guy I spoke with was misinformed... Still it was weird I no longer saw the pay-per-use option, but as CDM said, the verizon online probably has bugs.

So my advice would probably be to call to activate and ask whether a data plan is required on your particular smartphone.

On a side note, I just activated an EnV touch and even though I'm being charged $9.99 more because it is now considered a damn "multimedia" phone...I probably won't go back to the i760.

Device(s)
    LG enV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again for the info guys.

Feedback Score
    Even that list isn't right as phones like XV5800, XV6800, and XV6900 were released before that cut-off date in November 2008 and also don not require a data feature.

VZW's online system is probably out of sync in some way and you are also bound to run into quite a few incompetent customer service representatives if you call or stop by a store, unfortunately, but if you keep trying you'll get an informed one who is also helpful as well.