Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering for Alltel customers that are now Vzw

Device(s)
    Samsung Hue II
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Tethering for Alltel customers that are now Vzw

I'm a Alltel customer that is now Vzw. With Alltel if you tethered after 9PM and weekends it was free and if you tethered during the day it used up your anytime minutes.

Bottom line was I never paid anything to tether.

This past weekend I tethered 3 times about 45 min each time. This was using the "Axcess" program from Alltel.

Is Vzw going to charge me?

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Shouldn't. Alltel's data is charged by mins. Verizons Americas Choice plans did this except you cant use data when Roaming (Extended Network).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Shouldn't. Alltel's data is charged by mins. Verizons Americas Choice plans did this except you cant use data when Roaming (Extended Network).
    Except that it seems that we are talking about tethering and not data on the phone, in which case even on older plans like AC VZW didn't charge in minutes for tethering data--you still had to get an appropriate tethering feature.

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calcuttaman
    I'm a Alltel customer that is now Vzw. With Alltel if you tethered after 9PM and weekends it was free and if you tethered during the day it used up your anytime minutes.

Bottom line was I never paid anything to tether.

This past weekend I tethered 3 times about 45 min each time. This was using the "Axcess" program from Alltel.

Is Vzw going to charge me?
    I tether to my laptop with my Alltel moto hint, I have the connect pack 1 with unlimited data for $10. Not sure without connectpack?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel Has been, verizon Now!!!
    Feedback Score
    It will only cost you minutes and is free nights and weekends. AS LONG as you have an Alltel plan and an Alltel phone. If you get a Verizon phone with the Alltel plan you will be charged for Mb usage just like it was a verizon plan. The reason for that was explained that Verizon phones are programed for Mb use and can't be changed. I used my VE20 tethering after Alltel changed to Verizon and it only costs me minutes. I went an bought an extra E 815 on E-bay for just that reason in case my VE20 goes belly up...

Device(s)
    Samsung Hue II
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sealark
    It will only cost you minutes and is free nights and weekends. AS LONG as you have an Alltel plan and an Alltel phone. If you get a Verizon phone with the Alltel plan you will be charged for Mb usage just like it was a verizon plan. The reason for that was explained that Verizon phones are programed for Mb use and can't be changed. I used my VE20 tethering after Alltel changed to Verizon and it only costs me minutes. I went an bought an extra E 815 on E-bay for just that reason in case my VE20 goes belly up...
    So it looks like eventually (2-3 years) we will be stuck with a Vzw phone so what will happen then with tethering?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So it looks like eventually (2-3 years) we will be stuck with a Vzw phone so what will happen then with tethering?
    Come on read my post when you get a Verizon phone (weather on Verizon or Alltel) you WILL be charged for Mb usage because the Verizon phone is set up for that usage Mg billing while tethering.

Feedback Score
    Come on read my post when you get a Verizon phone (weather on Verizon or Alltel) you WILL be charged for Mb usage because the Verizon phone is set up for that usage Mg billing while tethering.
    I'm pretty sure you'd actually have to get an actual tethering feature to do all of that on a VZW plan as that is the requirement (there are no per-MB charges for tethering or anything like that, except for overages essentially).

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully in 2-3 years we are on 4G, with a greater capacity, and faster speeds. What's the chance they will lower the rates?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    I'm pretty sure you'd actually have to get an actual tethering feature to do all of that on a VZW plan as that is the requirement (there are no per-MB charges for tethering or anything like that, except for overages essentially).
    Not so, If you don't have a tethering plan and tether you will be charged a Very high MB fee. At least that's what I read and was also told. My thing with tethering is that I only want to use it once or twice a year for a very short period and it's not worth it to get a plan. With alltel plan and phone it only uses my minutes. If I get a Verizon phone it will use MB at a high fee until I get a plan. I have used the plan and it only costs my minutes.

Feedback Score
    Not so, If you don't have a tethering plan and tether you will be charged a Very high MB fee. At least that's what I read and was also told. My thing with tethering is that I only want to use it once or twice a year for a very short period and it's not worth it to get a plan. With alltel plan and phone it only uses my minutes. If I get a Verizon phone it will use MB at a high fee until I get a plan. I have used the plan and it only costs my minutes.
    Actually tethering without the appropriate tethering feature from VZW is against the VZW TOS, so there's really no other way to do it legally, so to say. There are some threads to that effect (as mentioned in an earlier reply I made) where it's all addressed. Technically speaking, discussing ways to do it without actually getting the appropriate feature is even against the forum rules.

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You will not get charged minutes with connect pack 1, it's unlimited data.

Since my company gets a 20% discount with verizon the plans are more affordable for me now, so I'm jumping ship to get the droid & switching to the family share connect plan. With the 20% discount I'll save more money than if I had the same features with an Alltel plan. The only thing I will miss is the $10 tethering & nights starting @ 7pm

So long Moto Hint, Hello Droid

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack

Since my company gets a 20% discount with verizon the plans are more affordable for me now, so I'm jumping ship to get the droid & switching to the family share connect plan. With the 20% discount I'll save more money than if I had the same features with an Alltel plan. The only thing I will miss is the $10 tethering & nights starting @ 7pm

I don't quite know the details of the Alltel plans, but does that data feature (connect pack 1) provide data coverage for data used both on the phone and through the phone on the device tethered to it? With VZW data features/plans all are basically for data used on the phone specifically, for data used through the phone, as in tethering, a tethering feature has to be added to the line/account.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack

Shouldn't that now be able to be applied to your Alltel plan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast