Thread: Droid Contacts Problem. No Dupes.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Droid Contacts Problem. No Dupes.

Has anyone tried adding dupes to the contact list?

I have two friends named Mike Smith. I can't have them both. I can have ONE contact that contains both of them but that's it. I tried creating one Mike and one Michael and they both end up in the same contact. Very annoying.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried creating them from your google contacts?

Device(s)
    Droid.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    HUGE ISSUES!!!!! When I make a new contact Anne, it shows up as Annette, under that existing contact.

Same thing with Jim And Jimmy

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All my james and jamies are stuck under jimmy. This is annoying

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This has to be solved. I suspect they think this is some sort of feature. It's not. It's wrong.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derekedw
    Have you tried creating them from your google contacts?
    Where exactly? I'm doing Contacts on the phone and then under Menu I choose Add Contact.

There's clearly some distinction as I have several Dave's and David's in my list, for example, all with their own entries. It's just that some entries refuse to be distinct.

Device(s)
    de-verizonized e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is possible to split them.

I forget the exact process but go into the contact, pull up the options and one of them lets you split them into separate contacts.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I need to find that. I can't keep me and my father distinct.

So, I go into Contacts. I scroll down to my "shared" contact.

I click on it. Nothing obvious at first. I click the menu button. I see Edit contact, Share, Options, Delete Contact. Ooh, Options? Nope. That's Ringtone and Incoming calls (routing).

Edit Contact?

Hmm... Not much here. Click Menu.

Oh! Two buttons look promising. Separate and Join. Let's try Separate. The warning text is concerning, "Are you sure you want to separate this single contact into multiple contacts: one for each set of contact information that was joined into it?"

That makes it sound like it's always seen it as a single contact. Let's throw caution to the wind:

I click ok.

Uh... Okay. Now I see my father's contact info. I'm totally cleared out from it.

One question. Now where am I? My contact info is nowhere to be found!

I think this IS the option we want but my complication is that my name is the same as a contact and being the main contact it causes issues. I'm not even sure I HAVE a real entry. I never added ME.

Can someone else try this with a Dave/David or one similar?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    dave goes under david

Device(s)
    Moto DROID---LG DARENIT voyager10000-lg vx 8550-moto krz1-lg vx8500 returned for moto krzr
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Glad to see similar problems it's unfortunate thou
    . Hopefully it's fixed soon
    Moto DrOiD
    Rom:bb ver:1.1 Stable!!!!!!
    sholes kernel 10 slots: 1.2ghzMax
    Running 1ghz max 600min
    setcpu Profiles set and tempmonitor Running

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The DROID has a feature which gets rid of duplicates by joining contacts. You can 'unjoin' them. See instructions below:

"11/11/09 - Appendix A
    The Motorola Droid contact list application uses an intelligent merge feature to combine contact information from various sources (Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Facebook, new entries, etc.) when names, phone numbers or other information "matches". When a contact merge occurs, there will be multiple tabs in the contact; one for each of the sources of information.
    This merge can be done automatically by the Droid as information is "imported" to the phone, or can be done manually as follows:
    Joining Contacts
    When you add an account or add contacts in other ways (such as by exchanging email), Contacts attempts to join any new contact information with existing contacts under a single entry, to avoid duplication. But you can also join contacts manually.
    To join contacts
    Open your contacts or favorites.
    Touch the contact you want to add information to. This is the contact you will see in Contacts after you join.
    Press MENU and touch Edit contact.
    Press MENU and touch Join.
    Touch the contact whose information you want to join with the first contact. The information from the second contact is added to the first contact, and the second contact is no longer displayed in the Contacts list.

Separating Contact Information
    Each contact on your phone may contain information from a variety of sources: you may have entered it, Contacts may have joined information automatically when you added an account, you may have joined contacts, and so on. If contact information from different sources was joined in error, you can separate the information back into individual contacts on your phone.
    To separate contact information
    Open your contacts or favorites.
    Touch the contact whose information you want to separate.
    Press MENU and touch Edit contact.
    Press MENU and touch Separate contact.
    The contact information is separated into individual contacts in the list of contacts.
    Automatic Aggregation
    Automatic aggregation is utilized whenever a new contact is added or modified. The system looks for similar new contacts with which to aggregate it. It may find nothing similar, in which case it will create an "aggregate" contact with just the one new contact in it. It may find a similar new contact and combine the two. In may even find multiple similar new contacts. In that case it chooses the closest match.
    Two new contacts are considered to be a match if at least one of these conditions is met:
    Matching names.
    Names consist of the same words but in different order (e.g. "Bob Parr" and "Parr, Bob")
    One has a common short name for the other (e.g. "Bob Parr" and "Robert Parr")
    One has just a first or last name and it matches the other new contact. This rule is less reliable, so it only applies if the two new contacts are also sharing some other data like a phone number, an email address or a nickname (e.g. Helen ["elastigirl"] = Helen Parr ["elastigirl"])
    At least one of the two new contacts is missing the name altogether and they are sharing a phone number, an email address or a nickname (e.g. Bob Parr [[email protected]] = [email protected])
    When comparing names, upper / lower case is ignored (Bob=BOB=bob) and diacritical marks (Hélène=Helene). When comparing two phone numbers, special characters like "*", "#", "(", ")" and whitespace are ignored.
    The automatic aggregation is not permanent: any change of a constituent new contact may create a new aggregate or break up an existing one."

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wish you could turn off Automatic Aggregation. It's terrible in my experience so far.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've never had this issue, but all my contacts are by last name first and then followed by the first name.

ex: Smith, Tony

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    WRX, that's how I used to have mine and I still had the problem. I undid it because various things were getting confused and then I'd have Jones, Robert and Robert Jones if one had both a standard contact and a Facebook entry.

What I'd REALLY like to find is a new contact app that has the option of taking the info in any way and just give me the choice of how to DISPLAY them and then I'd display Last, First.