Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No, you can't use a Verizon phone with an Alltel plan...

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

No, you can't use a Verizon phone with an Alltel plan...

The DROID looks like a sweet phone. I talked to my Verizon/Alltel employee rep today and she informed me that my Alltel plan was not capable of taking a Verizon phone because the address of the account is in a 'Hold Market', Manistee MI. The FCC is forcing Verizon customers to be spun off to ATT, but the Alltel customers should become Verizon. The Verizon spectrum is 1900, where as the Alltel side is 850-B. Why would being in a hold market affect whether or not a Verizon data code could be applied to my existing voice plan? Am I just dealing with the wrong people?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried calling the "converted" Traverse City store? They are handling both Alltel and VZW accounts, and they might have a little better info because they border Hold markets like Benzie, Manistee, Wexford and Mason Cos... The Ludington store doesn't have a lot of info and doesn't carry VZW yet so their info is limited...

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Good idea. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Update: Nope, I can't get a DROID according to the TC store. They are hoping that the droid will launch for Alltel within the next few months, but who knows...

Feedback Score
    I live in montcalm county in a hold area zip 49339, but have a (616) area code for my alltel plan and just bought the Imagio from verizon and kept my alltel plan. I had a number of verizon reps tell me I couldn't upgrade without changing plans. I was all set to change plans and the verizon store I went to was out of the Imagio. When I went to a different verizon store the rep told me I could keep my alltel plan and upgrade to the Imagio phone. It seems you get different answers from verizon reps all the time.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here's the real deal:

If you are an Alltel customer who's been converted to Verizon - You can:

Get a new Verizon phone, and keep your current Alltel plan.
    Get a new Verizon phone, and change to a Verizon plan.

You can NOT use an Alltel phone on a Verizon plan - unless you've hacked it, and if you hack it, you're on your own.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ok, so you pretty much incorrect with the title//// you are most likely from what your op says a holdback customer, which means you were located in a area where alltel and vzw had marketshare, and they had to sell of some assets to be able to offer service in the area, due to anti trust laws/// so yes you are sorta incorrect, as if you are a holdback customer, you are still a alltel customer and you cannot use a vzw phone on a alltel plan//// as one of the previous posters said, if you are a alltel customer that has been converted you can, without a problem, activate a vzw phone on a alltel plan

Device(s)
    Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfield
    I live in montcalm county in a hold area zip 49339, but have a (616) area code for my alltel plan and just bought the Imagio from verizon and kept my alltel plan. I had a number of verizon reps tell me I couldn't upgrade without changing plans. I was all set to change plans and the verizon store I went to was out of the Imagio. When I went to a different verizon store the rep told me I could keep my alltel plan and upgrade to the Imagio phone. It seems you get different answers from verizon reps all the time.
    hfield- What store did you go to? Who did you talk to? I live in Grand Rapids, but the account is based in Manistee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilvertab
    hfield- What store did you go to? Who did you talk to? I live in Grand Rapids, but the account is based in Manistee.

I went to the knapps corner store (e beltline & knapp). Sorry don't remember the guys name. The alpine store rep told me I would have to switch to a verizon plan. Hope that helps!

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I live in Tampa, where both Verizon and Alltel serviced this area. I'm now a Verizon customer. Went in on the Droid launch day and picked one up. I signed a new 2 year contract on my Alltel plan (79.99 1600 minute Family plan). I didn't have to switch to a Verizon plan.

Also tonight another friend who use to be on Alltel as well switched his service to my old Alltel HTC Diamond without any complaints from Verizon.

One major bummer is Visual Voicemail does not work on my Verizon Droid since I am on an Alltel number (quoteing tech support). They said it would be a bit before they get Visual Voicemail working for former Alltel customers. Kind of sucks.

Device(s)
    Mine: Ve20
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel------VZW Now
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed I can upgrade to any verizon phone avaliable on my online account. I was just transitioned to verizon on october 18th so I now log in to verizon wireless. Two lines are up for renewal so I have checked out new phones right from my account. The only thing that changes when putting a verizon phone on an alltel plan is the add on features. All of the texting and data features have to be switched to verizon. Like a few others have said the base plan with minutes and my circle stay the same.

Device(s)
    VE20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428

Get a new Verizon phone, and change to a Verizon plan.
    Yes, but can I get a Droid and keep my Alltel plan which was not a SmartChoice plan?

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentence
    Yes, but can I get a Droid and keep my Alltel plan which was not a SmartChoice plan?
    Yes, add the 29.99 smartphone feature.

Device(s)
    VE20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack
    Yes, add the 29.99 smartphone feature.
    I didn't realize it was possible to add on to an Alltel plan. I thought they were all frozen in time.

However, that's not what I'm interested in. I'd like to get a SmartPhone for apps, keyboard and WiFi, but not use it for data (except for WiFi). I don't think Verizon will allow a SmartPhone on their network without a data plan even if I pay full retail for it.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428
    Here's the real deal:

OK kch, you seem to know your stuff here. Let me give you a scenario and see if you can answer this for me.

First of all, we were converted to Verizon in October. I get my bill from Verizon now... etc, etc...

Current: I have an Alltel Touch Pro on a SmartChoice 500 plan which is under contract till June of 2011. My wife has an HTC PPC-6800, sharing the same SmartChoice 500 plan, for which I pay the $20 addon for shared minutes, and $20 addon for shared data. Her phone has been off contract for a few months. So far so good?

I'd like to get her an HTC Droid Eris. Is it possible yet to "re-up" for the shared minutes and data on our Alltel SmartChoice plan for her phone and have that count as an upgrade with a contract renewal? Or, would I have to pay retail for the Eris and leave her off contract?

Moving her to a Verizon plan would not be an option dollarwise, unless there's a way to get voice, unlimited text and data for $40 per month.

See if you can get your head around that one.
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast