Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No more free web on Pay As You Go

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score

No more free web on Pay As You Go

I noticed a couple of changes today with Boost's mobile web add on.

The built in browser in the iDEN Motorola's used to work even if you didn't have the $0.35/day data add-on. You just had to send a text message or Net Alert with a URL in it and you could open the URL from the alert or message. I've got a bunch of Net alerts set up for that purpose. Sometime in the last day or two Boost has blocked this. Any attempt to access a URL outside the one on the Boost Mobile home page fails with:

Your plan does not include wireless web service. To sign up for wireless web subscription for only $.35 a day, Click Here or visit boostmobile.com and go to My Account.
    Clicking the link leads to a page where you can switch between "Pay As You Go" and "Pay As You Go & Web". "My Account" on the Boost Website has also gained a "Web add-on" checkbox in the "Plan & add" ons section.

On the one hand its nice that you can toggle the web add-on without calling CS, on the other it's too bad that free web is gone.

Data access using Java apps seems unaffected so far.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Tethering still works fine too.
    Here's tuit and tuit again, if you don't duit tuit when you get tuit, you'll never get tuit to duit tuit again!

I'm in shape... Round's a shape

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-A-A6/00.02 UP.Browser/7.2.7.2.531 (GUI) MMP/2.0 Push/PO UP.Link/5.1.2.17)

Thanks for the info yeswap.

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    If they ever cut off actual data, I'm gone. It's the only thing holding me to boost, now that so many other providers have better plan prices.

I don't think they can cut off data, since other apps that require data that you can purchase would stop working. Maybe they could determine if you have a license for any paid apps, and if not, cut off data. But then you couldn't buy new apps using their internal browser. Or they could restrict data to only one address to let you purchase more apps.

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg
    If they ever cut off actual data, I'm gone. It's the only thing holding me to boost, now that so many other providers have better plan prices.

I don't think they can cut off data, since other apps that require data that you can purchase would stop working. Maybe they could determine if you have a license for any paid apps, and if not, cut off data. But then you couldn't buy new apps using their internal browser. Or they could restrict data to only one address to let you purchase more apps.
    They are not "cutting off" data, they are charging 35cents per day for it. They are stopping the FREE data "hack" that many have been able to use on BoostMobile PAYGO. Those users will now have to opt-in to data services. Cost: Approx. $10 per month for daily access.

Device(s)
    i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi
    They are not "cutting off" data, they are charging 35cents per day for it. They are stopping the FREE data "hack" that many have been able to use on BoostMobile PAYGO. Those users will now have to opt-in to data services. Cost: Approx. $10 per month for daily access.

OR install Opera Mini. It still browses fine for free. With things like Opera Mini why in heaven's name would you WANT to use the native browser anyway?

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundTuit
    OR install Opera Mini. It still browses fine for free. With things like Opera Mini why in heaven's name would you WANT to use the native browser anyway?
    I have OM and it works great. I currently use Monthly Unlimited. On the Basic plan I used to get the "free" data, I hope it continues with OM, but if it does not work anymore the 35cents per day is still affordable.

Device(s)
    i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi
    I have OM and it works great. I currently use Monthly Unlimited. On the Basic plan I used to get the "free" data, I hope it continues with OM, but if it does not work anymore the 35cents per day is still affordable.
    It seems they only closed the hole in the native browser. From my understanding, in order to enable you to receive and send text messages, they MUST keep the Opera Mini/Tethering hole open.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread cleaned up. Sorry to everyone else that had to put up with off topic bickering for a while.

If you report a post and ask "will I get banned if I respond", isn't it probably a good idea not to respond?

Not every thread in the forum needs to turn into a) a commentary on how this is a sign that Boost is not going to allow Sprint phones on unlimited service anymore, or b) a pissing contest on that topic. I'm sure everyone else here is sick of it as well. Next time, vacations will be awarded.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001
    If you report a post and ask "will I get banned if I respond", isn't it probably a good idea not to respond?

I lol'd at that.

BTW, whomever said they just closed the existing security hole in the native browser is correct.

They keep doing that, someone keeps figuring out a workaround.

However, as long as they keep the current MMS/text system in place, they wont actually be able to close off the data access for 3rd party apps (including opera) or tethering.
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Motorola i580: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.10423/1724; en; U; ssr))

No big deal,but I got message from Boost today reminding me to add money soon even though its not due for 4 weeks. They never did that before,and when I accessed Boost browser to check My Account, it was an abbreviated menu and didnt include My Account.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arnold040
    Wirelessly posted (Motorola i580: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.10423/1724; en; U; ssr))

No big deal,but I got message from Boost today reminding me to add money soon even though its not due for 4 weeks. They never did that before,and when I accessed Boost browser to check My Account, it was an abbreviated menu and didnt include My Account.
    I still have "My Account" on Pay As You Go without $.35 data

Feedback Score

I got My Account back. I guess when I read the message from Boost and clicked on their links the browser home page default was superceded somehow. I powered off and on no help,but when I accessed Downloads and clicked around a bit the Boost menu came back

Feedback Score
    OK, this stinks! I just got a i465 and new boost service just for the purpose of tethering ... my wife has nextel thru work, on a i335. When I put my sim in her 335, I got internet, when I put it back in the 465, it "connects" but will only find the gateway (the tower router?) and won't reload it a second time... Any ideas?

Device(s)
    i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarch
    OK, this stinks! I just got a i465 and new boost service just for the purpose of tethering ... my wife has nextel thru work, on a i335. When I put my sim in her 335, I got internet, when I put it back in the 465, it "connects" but will only find the gateway (the tower router?) and won't reload it a second time... Any ideas?
    Swap phones with the wife and call it a "Christmas Present"? An i465 just to tether was kind of overkill anyway. I use a $14 used i335 from ebay and it works great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast