Thread: Why your Telus/Bell/Canadian Phone doesn't work with Bitpim

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Why your Telus/Bell/Canadian Phone doesn't work with Bitpim

First off, I know that Bitpim can manipulate the filesystems of these phones, usually when set to "other CDMA phone". Also, I know that some models are supported officially by Bitpim. I'm not saying you can't use a Canadian CDMA phone with Bitpim.. but if it's having trouble, here's a likely cause.

The filesystems of Verizon's editions of these are not the same as the Canadian carriers.

The designation of 'VX' means it's Verizon. These phones run BREW and have no Java support.

For example:

The VX9100 enV 2 vs. the LG 9100 Keybo. The Keybo shares form factors with the enV2 but they are in fact very different devices.

So, the way Bitpim works, in the case of ringers, pictures, etc... is just that it has pre-scripted the filesystem locations of the ringers dir, as well as it knows the various sizes, and methods employed when writing to the device.

env2 ringers, for example are located in /mod/10889, as opposed to the Keybo's /brew/shared/ringtones
    (these filesystem locations might not be entirely correct, I just Googled for them, but you get the idea)

So Bitpim, when you force it to recognize the phone as an enV2, tries to drop the ringers in /mod/10889 which, of course doesn't exist on your Keybo.. so you get an error.

This also applies for any of the other various LGs you try to use with Bitpim.

You will notice that Bitpim has official support for the LG8100 and ALSO the LG VX8100. Things that are different are not the same.

So anyways, that's the problem. You need to just go ahead and let it detect as 'other CDMA phone' and then do things through the filesystem, without forcing it to detect it as a VZW phone.

Now I know there are exceptions to every rule, and some filesystem locations might be shared on some models.. but I'm just getting tired of troubleshooting people's connections on their 'enV2' that turns out to be a Keybo. That's why there's a sticky at the top that says to state your carrier, and save yourself (and us) a headache.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Device(s)
    LG Keybo 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Bitpim won't read my Keybo

I have the VX9100, Canadian Keybo, and I'm trying to get Bitpim 1.7 to read it so I can backup my contacts, but when I set it to Other CDMA phone and the correct port, all the options in Get Data from Phone are greyed out. I have the LG drivers and connecting through USB. What am I doing wrong?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing that works with 'other CDMA phone' is file system access.

Feedback Score
    Threads merged.

Device(s)
    LG Keybo 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    How do I pull up the filesystem? I press the + next to the dir "/" and nothing is shown.

Device(s)
    Samsung u450
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Go to 'View' and flag for 'Filesystem' to view this in the directory tree.

Incidently, I was able to get filesystem access for my LG8600 like two years ago, using auto-detect w/LG drivers. The phone is identified as 'VX8100', but I can still access the BREW dirs in Filesystem. It's re-hexing the ringers that's the biggest hassle to do.

Device(s)
    LG Keybo 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I know how to turn filesystem on in view, that's why I said there was nothing in the main dir when I hit the +... so... how do I view the filesystem?

Device(s)
    LG Keybo 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    When I connect to port 9, which is LGE CMDA USB Modem, I get the message

2:03:46.621 COM9: Changed port speed to 115200
    2:03:50.138 COM9: Timed out - flushing and trying again
    2:03:53.153 COM9: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    2:03:56.184 COM9: Changed port speed to 115200
    2:03:59.716 COM9: Changed port speed to 19200

Then port 10 which is LGE CMDA USB Serial Port I get

2:07:39.075 COM10: USB support is not available
    2:07:39.075 COM10: Opening port COM10, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000, hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
    2:07:39.075 COM10: Open of comm port suceeded
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: Listing subdirs in dir: ''
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: X recurse=0
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: Now in brew mode
    2:07:39.091 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=.efs_private
    2:07:39.091 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=DMU
    2:07:39.107 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=OWS
    2:07:39.107 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=alarm
    2:07:39.121 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=bluetooth
    2:07:39.121 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=brew
    2:07:39.121 Failed to read filesystem

So I don't know what's wrong. I read this sticky that my thread got merged with before I posted, and still had a problem, so... Help please?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossman24
    When I connect to port 9, which is LGE CMDA USB Modem, I get the message

Code:
    2:03:46.621 COM9: Changed port speed to 115200
    2:03:50.138 COM9: Timed out - flushing and trying again
    2:03:53.153 COM9: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1  - 0 bytes read
    2:03:56.184 COM9: Changed port speed to 115200
    2:03:59.716 COM9: Changed port speed to 19200

Then port 10 which is LGE CMDA USB Serial Port I get
    Code:
    2:07:39.075 COM10: USB support is not available
    2:07:39.075 COM10: Opening port COM10, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000, hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
    2:07:39.075 COM10: Open of comm port suceeded
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: Listing subdirs in dir: ''
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: X recurse=0
    2:07:39.075 Other CDMA Phone: Now in brew mode
    2:07:39.091 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=.efs_private
    2:07:39.091 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=DMU
    2:07:39.107 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=OWS
    2:07:39.107 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=alarm
    2:07:39.121 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=bluetooth
    2:07:39.121 Other CDMA Phone: subdir=brew
    2:07:39.121 Failed to read filesystem
    So I don't know what's wrong. I read this sticky that my thread got merged with before I posted, and still had a problem, so... Help please?
    Some carriers (Telus for example) have been known to lock down the filesystem of their phone. What I see from the error message you posted is that it appeared to get as far as the brew directory (the one they would be trying to protect) and then failed.. possibly on the various subdirs.

I have read that dialing 3733929 on the keypad (FREEWAY) with nothing else, no send or anything can sometimes help. It sounds funny to me, but I have seen reports of Canadian users have success with it, and I have seen Bitpim exhibit this behavior on its own when doing reads over Bluetooth on my vx8100.

You might also Google terms like 'keybo free ringtones' as it appears that there are a number of tutorials out there. One of them, I saw the user setting Bitpim to the VZW VX9100 enV2 and THEN accessing the filesystem (still not the ringers tab of course).

Device(s)
    LG Keybo 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Setting it to the VZW VX9100 env2 allowed me to see the file system. Thanks a lot! Can I backup my contacts before I flash it this way? Or should I just get out the pen and paper and copy down all my contacts the old fashioned way?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have an LG filesystem available to me right this minute, but what you need to look for is a file that contains the phonebook. Like phonebook.db or something like that, perhaps.
    The other option being to get ahold of some other backup software (it is out there).. I know LGNPST can backup/transfer phonebooks around. You'd probably just need to use the generic driver. However, it's up to you to find that particular software.

Feedback Score

a link to a working ringtone method

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-A523
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.G
    First off, I know that Bitpim can manipulate the filesystems of these phones, usually when set to "other CDMA phone". Also, I know that some models are supported officially by Bitpim. I'm not saying you can't use a Canadian CDMA phone with Bitpim.. but if it's having trouble, here's a likely cause.

The filesystems of Verizon's editions of these are not the same as the Canadian carriers.

The designation of 'VX' means it's Verizon. These phones run BREW and have no Java support.

For example:

The VX9100 enV 2 vs. the LG 9100 Keybo. The Keybo shares form factors with the enV2 but they are in fact very different devices.

So, the way Bitpim works, in the case of ringers, pictures, etc... is just that it has pre-scripted the filesystem locations of the ringers dir, as well as it knows the various sizes, and methods employed when writing to the device.

env2 ringers, for example are located in /mod/10889, as opposed to the Keybo's /brew/shared/ringtones
    (these filesystem locations might not be entirely correct, I just Googled for them, but you get the idea)

So Bitpim, when you force it to recognize the phone as an enV2, tries to drop the ringers in /mod/10889 which, of course doesn't exist on your Keybo.. so you get an error.

This also applies for any of the other various LGs you try to use with Bitpim.

You will notice that Bitpim has official support for the LG8100 and ALSO the LG VX8100. Things that are different are not the same.

So anyways, that's the problem. You need to just go ahead and let it detect as 'other CDMA phone' and then do things through the filesystem, without forcing it to detect it as a VZW phone.

Now I know there are exceptions to every rule, and some filesystem locations might be shared on some models.. but I'm just getting tired of troubleshooting people's connections on their 'enV2' that turns out to be a Keybo. That's why there's a sticky at the top that says to state your carrier, and save yourself (and us) a headache.

I downloaded Bitpim 1.06 lastnight and it literally took 5 mins. I have about 5 ringtones so far even some that I made from voice recording on my phone but I had to choose env2 because env3/keybo2 wasn't listed anywhoo I'm not taking credit for this dudes work BUT here is the link

http://makaveliadam71.piczo.com/?g=54648399&cr=6

Feedback Score
    hate the CDMA phones.. GSM rules

Feedback Score

Help with LG Dare - will make it worth your while:-)

I would like some help getting my TELUS LG dare functionality up ...
    Especially:
    Tethering my phone on my current $20/month data plan
    Using MobileTV
    Using Telus Navigator ...

If you can help me (remotely accessing my laptop for example),
    send me a PM.

I have QPST and Bitpim installed but I am worried about bricking my phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast