Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voice Quality

Device(s)
    Nokia E71 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score

Voice Quality

I am still with Alltel until the 17th Assimilation into Verizon. I know that the transition is ongoing but the voice quality of my calls has been over the last two to three weeks been going down hill. Most noticeably the echo chamber when talking on the phone and the tinny sound of the call. This seems to be happening more frequently in the last month or so. More dropped calls is another symptom of my service of late as well. BB Pearl on Smartchoice Plan so I'm playing by the book as far as my plan requirements are concerned. Will this improve with the full transition to Verizon? TIA
    If "A" is success in life, then "A" equals "X" plus "Y" plus "Z". "X" is work, "Y" is play and "Z" is keeping your mouth shut. -Albert Einstein

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are you keeping your phone updated? *228 option 2

Device(s)
    Nokia E71 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Are you keeping your phone updated? *228 option 2
    That may be the answer. I haven't updated the PRL in about 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I don't think a PRL update is going to help with voice quality. Has there even been a new PRL released in the last month? And I thought new PRLs were pushed to BlackBerrys.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick662
    I don't think a PRL update is going to help with voice quality. Has there even been a new PRL released in the last month? And I thought new PRLs were pushed to BlackBerrys.
    You are right in my case. The PRL before updating was 40055 and after updating it was 40055. The sound quality is what i have noticed deteriorating within the last month. Oh well the date is fast approaching and it won't matter after the 17th anyway. Ultimately due to circumstances beyond my control I may be porting to Straight Talk by Walmart. Pre-paid unlimited $45.00 for talk, text, and mobile web. They use the Verizon network without the high prices.

Feedback Score
    Well the area I am in is not going to VZW will be atlantic tele network if and when approval goes through and I have definately noticed my calls being dropped more frequently and people on the other end breaking up and me having a hard time understanding them, so I am not sure what is going on, I am in NC area with a BB curve on a smartchoice plan.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    I know the customer count coming to V is small numbers, but if Verizon has decided to kill an Alltel tower and just keep the Verizon tower live in an area, or visa-versa, that adds callers to the tower.

That is just my guess.

Device(s)
    ATNI Alltel: HTC, Telular Box, V262
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, Alltel (ATNI), Verizon, Globalstar
    Feedback Score
    To me Verizon has always had crappy audio. I always get echos on Verizon, never on Alltel or Sprint.
    The audio codec on the phone is variable depending on load and that could be it.
    If you want to know more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evrc
    Still using a 3 watt analog bag phone in 2011!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LJblock2265
    You are right in my case. The PRL before updating was 40055 and after updating it was 40055. The sound quality is what i have noticed deteriorating within the last month. Oh well the date is fast approaching and it won't matter after the 17th anyway. Ultimately due to circumstances beyond my control I may be porting to Straight Talk by Walmart. Pre-paid unlimited $45.00 for talk, text, and mobile web. They use the Verizon network without the high prices.

I think I'm right in every case. That's what happens when you get someone like the former poster spouting off. He's an all-knowing VZW employee and *228 is like a magic unicorn.

Carrier(s)
    @lltel (awcc/atni)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crikev2
    Well the area I am in is not going to VZW will be atlantic tele network if and when approval goes through and I have definately noticed my calls being dropped more frequently and people on the other end breaking up and me having a hard time understanding them, so I am not sure what is going on, I am in NC area with a BB curve on a smartchoice plan.
    There have been audio issues in NC over the past week or more....most noticingly.....the party you are calling can hear you, but you can't hear them.

a switch issue was found and software patch followed Wednesday 10/14/2009 morning.....

the issue should be fixed, if you are still noticing the issue, please call tech support and have your issue troubleshot...
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm. "- FDR

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shango6
    To me Verizon has always had crappy audio. I always get echos on Verizon, never on Alltel or Sprint.
    The audio codec on the phone is variable depending on load and that could be it.
    If you want to know more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evrc
    Interesting, I have had always had great sounding audio with VZ but with Alltel I had a lot of "clicks" and other odd noises in my area.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick662
    I think I'm right in every case. That's what happens when you get someone like the former poster spouting off. He's an all-knowing VZW employee and *228 is like a magic unicorn.
    No I'm right in every case... You're always wrong! Just kidding.

Anyways back on topic, please keep us updated on how straight talk works for you. I am really kind of interested to see how that works out given that the price totally blows most of the other wireless companies away.

I really haven't noticed a decrease in voice quality itself. However, what I have noticed is a significant increase of the audio cutting in and out.
    Remember kids... Bribery is illegal but lobbying is not

Mick662: "Someday, you will meet people on the internet who are so dumb, you will find it hard to comprehend. They probably got beat up a lot at school for being this dumb. And they deserved it".

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MowTowRollAh
    There have been audio issues in NC over the past week or more....most noticingly.....the party you are calling can hear you, but you can't hear them.

a switch issue was found and software patch followed Wednesday 10/14/2009 morning.....

the issue should be fixed, if you are still noticing the issue, please call tech support and have your issue troubleshot...
    My wife and I had a problem today talking to each other. After a few seconds on the phone, we couldn't hear each other, and then a few seconds later it was clear, only to not be able to hear a few seconds later again, like a cycle. I'm in east Arkansas.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neb1211
    No I'm right in every case... You're always wrong! Just kidding.

I know you were kidding; but just to be clear, I meant in in every case as related to my post only. I'm wrong a lot in many other areas!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MowTowRollAh

Yup..that was happenning to me alot last week here in Charlotte. It was annoying as hell. It has happened in a few days so I guess the fix on the 14th did the trick. As far as audio quality here, everything is still the same. However, Alltel has one 850mhz side (sid 114) and Verizon has the other 850mhz side (sid 139) and they are still running seperately even though we are officially Verizon now. I have seen some tower workers on several Alltel towers in the area, but no noticeable changes in service quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast