Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Major Sidekick data disaster -- M$ loses it all

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score

Major Sidekick data disaster -- M$ loses it all

Short version: Sidekick relies on a backend system called "Danger" that comes from Redmond. Something went REALLY wrong; and for many Sidekick users; the only remaining copy of their data is that in their Sidekicks right now.

If they reset the phone, let the battery go dead, lose it; Sorry Charlie! Only Tuna with good taste......

It's not clear exactly what percentage of the user base has been hit, but it's a non-trivial number.

T-moblle sent out a note "the likelihood of a successful [data recovery] is extremely low..."

It's now a Wall Street Journal story ("Microsoft, T-Mobile Stumble With Sidekick Glitch ")

Expect job openings at Microsoft on this one.....

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless (postpaid),
    Feedback Score
    I read that T-Mobile is offering one month of free data service for all customers that were affected. I'm thinking that customers that just lost all their data will look at that offer and tell T-Mobile to shove it. T-Mobile (and Microsoft), doesn't seem to be aware that many customers' lost data may be extremely important to the user. Business contacts, employment contacts, appointments, financial data, images, etc., could all be lost. The Sidekick isn't all fun and games.

The paradox of all this is that this is all brought to you by Microsoft. The company that has written some of the most complicated data and software backup routines known to mankind, and then preaches to all their customers that they need to buy it and use it. Then they don't even practice what they preach. Maybe their software is too complicated for them to even use.

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score

more on Sidekick

Here's another writeup on the disaster.

This is going to hurt T-mobile, and they will in turn take it out on M$....

Feedback Score

Thumbs down ?

In the end the consumer gets screwed and TMO is left holding the empty bag. And all this from a multi-gazillion $ company like Microsoft? Huh? What will these people tell me next, that all of my confidential medical and financial data/history was on a laptop that was "stolen" from the front seat of a contractor's VW Beetle? Oh, can't use that again, or can they?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/t...ve-branch-100/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/11/s...ng-lack-of-ba/

M$ isn't at fault here...
    It looks like Hitachi buggled the upgrade, if this is true then it is Hitachi's fault for losing the data as they were responsible for ensuring that the data was backed up before touching anything.

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00
    M$ isn't at fault here...
    It looks like Hitachi buggled the upgrade.

HorsePocky. M$ should have had daily backups OFF-SITE. Several reports talk about a) cheaping out b) "dogfooding" [read the coverage for details.]

If M$ signed the SLA with T-mobile, it's their problem; they'll not win anything but ridicule trying to subcontract out the blame.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I read it..however
    I wouldn't be so quickly to accuse M$ for dogfooding or being a cheapskate since there is mention that the data may have been deliberately destroyed...quite possibly the OFF-SITE ones as well. Anybody wish to do real harm to a companies data and/or corporate brand image would destroy the main data and all backups

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score
    I'm dubious re: sabotage. Even if true, it proves M$ untrustworthy.

They have been bitten before trying to move working apps to M$ platforms. [Hello, Hotmail!].

But in any case, it is M$ that will be drinking the legal/PR KoolAid on this one.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    This is rather funny that non-SK devices on SK are not affected, why MS doesn't allow async support SK?!

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    [W]hy MS doesn't allow async support SK?!
    Simple:

Hubris

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by syme
    Simple:

Hubris
    Pure arrogance. Didn't care. Bunch of know-it-alls. TMo looks bad but M$ will carry the brunt of the donkey's load here.

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike J
    TMo looks bad but M$ will carry the brunt of the donkey's load here.
    You can be sure TMO lawyers are already sharpening their pencils. If they don't act; their stockholders will be all over them.

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand, what data? people's contacts? It's not like it was RIM or anything. The only people I have EVER seen with a sidekick would be 17 year old girls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    I don't understand, what data? people's contacts? It's not like it was RIM or anything. The only people I have EVER seen with a sidekick would be 17 year old girls.
    Besides, your most important contacts should always be backed up the old fashioned pen and paper style.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala
    Besides, your most important contacts should always be backed up the old fashioned pen and paper style.
    Oh, these types of things were/could have been lost (taken from the OP's original post): Business contacts, employment contacts, appointments, financial data, images, etc., could all be lost.

I have seen many people outside of "17 year-old girls" with this device which was ahead of its time for what is now a popular mobile segment, the "messaging device". And even if they were the only ones with data lost that won't make this whole affair any less egregious. So, I really don't understand that logic at all. The data should have been backed up in triplicate by the people who signed on to contractually do so.

Oh well, I guess some people have neva been entrusted with this type of IT assignment nor any type of data at all. Sure sounds like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast