Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

175 68.63%
  • Nope, got rid of it

23 9.02%
  • Never had one

57 22.35%
Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia N97: Reviews, Issues, Tips, Tricks & Support Thread: V2 Firmware Edition

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dweinstock
    Really didn't happen by me??
    Go to Web and click check for update...

Device(s)
    Nokia N97- Finally!!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh
    Go to Web and click check for update...
    I did and there was an update. So I downloaded it and then tried to sync it again, but it still didn't work.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    New article for you guys.

http://www.n97fanatics.com/if-they-o...-with-the-n97/

What would you tell Nokia regarding the N97 if you could go back in time to 1 year ago? Make your comments at N97Fanatics.com

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Agree with number 1. I think a 3-6 month window is ok, particularly if the target is 4-5 for a major device, but 6-7 is definitely too long.

I am quite ok with a touchscreen N95, especially I always passed on N95 since I was disapointed it didn't have a touchscreen or a keyboard. N97 giving both as well as not giving me the bizarre choice between big internal storage and a removable microSD. Well N96 also gave both, but suffered the same UI disapointment, as well as a big bag of fail everywhere else. I've never thought the CPU mattered all that much and am satisfied with the N97's CPU but there's really no good excuse why they didn't double the RAM.

Disagree big time with #4. It would have delayed the phone at least a couple more months which pushes it to no earlier than 9 months or so after announcement. Shipping with v11 should have been feasible... remember the v10 firmware was dated in May but we didn't get the phones until the latter half of June.... #2 (testing) ties in with this, too. I'm sure they did and largely they succeeded. Sounds like about 1/3 QC issue rate, which is way too high, but let's not forget the 2/3 who don't have camera scratches, or bad GPS, etc.

If I could go back a year, I would tell them to double the RAM, offer v10 on schedule as a "pre-launch extended test" but cut the price so that everyone got it at glitch pricing (couple hundred dollar bennie to work out the kinks) with the "main" launch coming after v20. I'd try to get some engineering genius to figure out how to do a xenon in there, but that's most likely just not possible with this great form factor.
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uxi
    Agree with number 1. I think a 3-6 month window is ok, particularly if the target is 4-5 for a major device, but 6-7 is definitely too long.

I am quite ok with a touchscreen N95, especially I always passed on N95 since I was disapointed it didn't have a touchscreen or a keyboard. N97 giving both as well as not giving me the bizarre choice between big internal storage and a removable microSD. Well N96 also gave both, but suffered the same UI disapointment, as well as a big bag of fail everywhere else. I've never thought the CPU mattered all that much and am satisfied with the N97's CPU but there's really no good excuse why they didn't double the RAM.

Disagree big time with #4. It would have delayed the phone at least a couple more months which pushes it to no earlier than 9 months or so after announcement. Shipping with v11 should have been feasible... remember the v10 firmware was dated in May but we didn't get the phones until the latter half of June.... #2 (testing) ties in with this, too. I'm sure they did and largely they succeeded. Sounds like about 1/3 QC issue rate, which is way too high, but let's not forget the 2/3 who don't have camera scratches, or bad GPS, etc.

If I could go back a year, I would tell them to double the RAM, offer v10 on schedule as a "pre-launch extended test" but cut the price so that everyone got it at glitch pricing (couple hundred dollar bennie to work out the kinks) with the "main" launch coming after v20. I'd try to get some engineering genius to figure out how to do a xenon in there, but that's most likely just not possible with this great form factor.

Dude! Comment on N97Fanatics LOL

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

And I never said to wait for v20 to come out before shipping the phone. I'm saying that v20 contains features that the phone should have had when the phone launched.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    tried lol it's been spinning for 10 minutes on that disqus profile login thing. I'm thinking it ain't happening.

Device(s)
    htc hd2
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    for the xp problem:
    right click on the nsu icon
    click properties
    click compatibility tab
    run compatibility with vista or xp
    press ok
    should work

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaxx
    And I never said to wait for v20 to come out before shipping the phone. I'm saying that v20 contains features that the phone should have had when the phone launched.
    Yeah it most definitely should have had those features... well I never really cared much about kinetic, but that seems obviously in response to the (absurd IMO) complaints so had to have that criticism come first. The bug fixing and all that takes time, though. Their bug testing methodology could well be robust but seems to lack variety, if not testing in real world conditions.

I just don't think it's realistic to have expected these features or bug fixes without a further delayed launch.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it most definitely should have had those features... well I never really cared much about kinetic, but that seems obviously in response to the (absurd IMO) complaints so had to have that criticism come first. The bug fixing and all that takes time, though. Their bug testing methodology could well be robust but seems to lack variety, if not testing in real world conditions.

I just don't think it's realistic to have expected these features or bug fixes without a further delayed launch.
    Again, we're not talking about specific fixes to specific bugs that were only realized after the phone was released but just basic stability issues. Even the lock switch bug should have been fixed before the phone came out. I'm not saying they should have delayed it until everything was fixed but a greater focus should have been placed on having the phone being stable and fixing the bugs they knew about. The simple fact that v11 came out within a couple weeks of the phone going on sale shows that they knew about the problems.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, unlimited data/text
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    Now I guess everybody knows all the tricks on how to deal with the phone memory (drive C) on our N97s. I delete folders dmgr and cache regularly on my phone and I have everything set to be stored on E:.

Even so, I notice a constant decrease of phone memory at a rate of 0.1Mb per day. I'm guessing it's the phone caching some sort of information somewhere else other than the two folders I get rid of regularly.

Anybody has any clue about it?
    Google Maps .... If you do a "Reset Google Maps" it will clear up memory most of the time.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hardballer
    Google Maps .... If you do a "Reset Google Maps" it will clear up memory most of the time.
    What I noticed is that new files are created or updated on C: at all times during normal usage (probably the phone caching some info). The folders I usually delete regularly are dmgr, cache and temp on C:/system (only visible using a 3rd party file manager), but changes happen in other folders too. Therefore, my experience is that C: gets smaller and smaller as you keep using the phone even if you regularly delete the folders mentioned above.

I'm sort of hoping it has a limit though, i.e., that my phone deletes older files as it creates or updates new ones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's the description of a memory hole, it's just happening to storage instead of RAM. I know the facebook widget uses the internet cache, because Y-browser can't delete the cache folder if I have the FB homescreen widget on. Speaking of which, has anyone managed to find the latest build yet?? At this point, i'm ready to install the betalabs thing... did they fix it to put it on E: yet?

@Blaxx: Right, v11 came out pretty quick. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference from v10 to v12 (since I was unable to dl v11 due to an ISP issue), but think that's an argument they should have launched in May. Can't see how we get "free" quicker testing/coding to put in the new stuff without it kicking back the launch date. An earlier launch would have led to earlier complaint and earlier v20 perhaps....

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ughhhh.......... phone just bricked again. First time this happened after v20 I thought it was an issue with the micro sd inserted. This time it wasn't and it still freezes on startup. Looks like hard reset then up for sale.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FIDOJOSH
    ughhhh.......... phone just bricked again. First time this happened after v20 I thought it was an issue with the micro sd inserted. This time it wasn't and it still freezes on startup. Looks like hard reset then up for sale.
    I just had to do a hard reset for the 4th time since V2. Out of the blue, freezes at the Nokia screen on a restart. Never happened before. When an alternative comes around its up for sale 4 me as well

Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast