If you are porting a newer phone that has a MEID as well as ESN (or pESN), then do NOT use the ESN when you provide the ESN information to PagePlus. On these newer phones that have an MEID, PPC (Verizon) system will not work using the ESN from these phones, you MUST use the MEID as the ESN.

On ALL Verizon phones (and most other non GSM phones), the phones have a 32 bit value (11 decimal digits or 8 hex digits) that is an Electronic Serial Number that is store in the phone, and is used by the the phone companies to match your phone number to that cell phone (GSM phones use a different system, but Verizon doesn't have any GSM phones). The format of this value only allowed 256 different manufacturers, and also limited the number of phones each manufactures could generate (16M). To get around the limits of the ESN, the ESN is being replaced with Mobile Equipment ID (MEID) that is a 56 bit value (14 digit hex value). ALL newer phones will come with a MEID. The original allocated ESN have already run out, and manufactures are currently using recycled (from AMPS or TDMA phones) or unassigned ESN, but these will run out sometime in 2009/2010.

So if your phone has the longer (14 hex digit) MEID, you MUST use it instead of any ESN (pESN) to identify the phone to PPC (Verizon).

When the phone systems first started converting over to MEID, they did a short term fix to get MEID to work on their system since their backend (switches and internal stuff) only worked with the 32 bit value, not the longer 56 bit MEID. Their short term fix was developed a way to generate a ESN (pESN) from an MEID (via a hash) which the backend could live with. This worked fine when the MEID were small, but once they got longer, the same hash could be generate from multiple MEID and the phone companies stop allowing the pESN once the backends had been upgraded to work with MEID. So while the pESN and the MEID both represent the same phone, it possible that two or more phones can have the same pESN.

While Motorola phones list pESN and MEID, other phones might state the pESN as ESN (as well as having a MEID), so if you have a phone that has both, you must use the MEID.

An pESN value can be easliey identified because the hex value ALLWAYS starts with the hex value of 80, and it my understanding that the Verizon ESN porting software checks for this and will reject an ESN that starts with 80hex since it knows it a pESN and not valid.

I only discover this the hard way when I tried to switch my older phone that had a valid ESN for a newer (but used) W385 phone that had a MEID (and pESN). I supplied the pESN as the ESN and this got rejected.

I have read both the Wiki and FAQ and neither one of these talk about having to use MEID instead of ESN. Someone needs to update both.