Thread: Problem doing an ESN switch to used W385

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Problem doing an ESN switch to used W385

Just bough a used W385 off E-bay which I tried to switch from my old LX-3300. Initial my problems started out because I provided the p-ESN, not the MEID, so PPC rejected the request. Talked to PPC TS, and they knew right away that the ESN that I provided, which started with 80 was a bad ESN, so I then provided the MEID, and the system accepted that. The TS guy then said that the system was now ready, and I could do a *22890 to activate the phone on PPC.

I did the *22890, the phone seem happy, so I call my home phone and that work, by when I called the W385 from my home phone, the call when directly to voicemail, didn't even ring. The next thing I found was that the security code on W385 got changed, but it would not accept the last four digits of my phone number. I found out that the security code was the last four digits of the old phone number. After check the phone info, I found that the MDN and MIN, were still set to the values when I received the phone. I then tried *22890, reset, power down, *22891 and *22892 in different ways without getting the phone to answer a call. The MDN continue to show the old phone number.

Called PPC again, got passed to the programming office, and they walk me though manually programming the W385. After changing MDN, MIN, SID, the phone losses network connection, so I reboot phone. It then picks up the network, and I can then call out, but I then ask the programming guy to call my cell phone to make sure that works, and he says that it goes directly to voicemail (plus the phone never rings). He checks around and claims that something is set to go to directly to voicemail and he resets it, calls again, it rings, but then goes to voicemail.

I then try the OTA again, and it does it job, but resets MDN, MIN back to the old values. That seems to me to indicate that there something wrong with the Verizon database, but the programming guy so no. I then manual reset the MDN, MIN and SID back, reboot. I can make a phone call, but still don't receive one from PPC. He now claims that since I can call out, the switch is correct (but call out worked with bad MDN), and if I can't receive a call, then it bad hardware.

After hanging up with PPC, I find that I'm still able to call my home phone, but now when I call the W385, it rings 4 times, then I get "Welcome to Version Wireless, the wireless customer you call is not available, try again later, error 1 switch 18-2". (is this from my local switch since I set the phone SID to 18?) It does NOT go to my PPC voicemail.

Any ideas of what wrong, and is there anything I can do to get the phone to work.

Carl

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'm betting the ESN is still active on the old verizon account. Do you have caller ID on your home phone, does it show the number of what your cell phone should be?

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    No, I don't have caller ID on my home phone, but maybe I can call a friend.

I talked to the dealer that I bought the phone from and he said that the phone might be from a batch that had restricted call and receiving features and he might have missed clear them from my phone. He calling back later so I will see if that the case.

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just received a phone call from a friend via his cell phone (Verizon), and then he call using his land line (also Verizon) which my new cell phone was able to received, so it starting to look like the phone can receive calls. This problem is very similar to the problem I had when I first activated my Page Plus Cellular number in the first place 2 1/2 years ago. People with cell phone could call me, but I couldn't via my local exchange (I found another phone in the same exchanged that failed), but people outside my exchange could. At the time I thought that the problem was caused by me picking a phone number from a brand new exchange, which hadn't been fully interrogated, but Verizon should have had time by now to fix that problem. The thing is that I didn't have this problem a year ago when I last switch ESNs. Last time I got the problem fixed by calling Verizon, and given how hard it to contact PPC, I think that I will wait a day or two to see if the problem corrects it self before I call Verizon.

BTW, I open a ticket on Saturday night (they say response in two business days, so I didn't expect them to respond right away, but I hope they would process it Monday morning), but didn't receive an e-mail back until 4pm today where they said that the ESN provided wasn't valid), so they don't seem to be faster via e-mail then call them by phone and waiting to get the call processed.

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Today I discovered that the used W385 had "Call restrictions" set for incoming calls, set for contact only. I had added contacts from my old phone to the W385 while I was waiting for the ESN change to happen (but not my home number), otherwise, with an empty contact list, I wouldn't have been able to receive any phone calls. That wouldn't have been a problem if Verizon had provided a better error message. I did talk to the dealer I bough the phone from and he did say that the phone might have been from a batch of phones that had call restrictions which he thought that he had cleared before sending it to me, but he didn't.

Now the only problem I seem to have with my ESN switch is that voicemail doesn't work, and when I call voicemail from my cell phone (via *86 or #738), I just get a busy signal. I think that this problem was caused by PPC when they tried calling my phone and having it go directly to voicemail. They claim to fix that problem, but I'm guessing that they just turn voicemail off. If the problem doesn't clear up in a day or two, I will open a ticket to get PPC to fix it.