Thread: Moving to AT&T BlackBerry Bold from Windows Mobile

Feedback Score

Moving to AT&T BlackBerry Bold from Windows Mobile

I have been a long time user of Windows Mobile devices for several years now and and I am considering moving to the BlackBerry platform for reasons that I will not go into detail on. The device I have in mind is an AT&T BlackBerry Bold. I have never used the BlackBerry platform and was wondering if some people could help address some questions I have

1. Does it support Exchange account sync? If it does, to what capacity? Are there any limitations?

2. Does it support IMAP email accounts (GMail for example)? If it does, to what capacity? Are there any limitations?

3. I am looking for a speakerphone with the most excellent possible quality. How does this device compare with other ones?

4. How is the call quality in terms of the microphone? I am coming from a bad experience with a horrible microphone that caused irritating background noise for my callers. I want a good experience on my end and on theirs.

5. Can I load my own ring tones (preferably in MP3 or WAV format) without having to pay additional costs? Can I do this for email, text, MMS, and other notifications as well? In Windows Mobile you could do this by copying them to the device from an SD card.

Thanks if anyone has the time to answer these.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp
    1. Does it support Exchange account sync? If it does, to what capacity? Are there any limitations?
    It does not support ActiveSync. BES is the comparable product. You can, however, sync via USB. Google Sync may also work for you.

2. Does it support IMAP email accounts (GMail for example)? If it does, to what capacity? Are there any limitations?
    It does but not fully. IIRC it only supports the inbox and operates off a copy.

5. Can I load my own ring tones (preferably in MP3 or WAV format) without having to pay additional costs? Can I do this for email, text, MMS, and other notifications as well? In Windows Mobile you could do this by copying them to the device from an SD card.
    Yes. Copy the files over via Mass Storage Mode.

For details on setting alerts see:
    http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...profiles%29%3F

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by briareus
    It does not support ActiveSync. BES is the comparable product. You can, however, sync via USB. Google Sync may also work for you.

It does but not fully. IIRC it only supports the inbox and operates off a copy.

Yes. Copy the files over via Mass Storage Mode.

For details on setting alerts see:
    http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...profiles%29%3F
    Thanks for the reply. Anybody else have anything to add?

Device(s)
    Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Doesn't ring a bell...Tell us nothing...Bunch of robbers!...It's pronouce fee-dough...
    Feedback Score
    It does support exchange but your company needs to buy the BES license. The Bold is definitely a great phone. It's kinda big but you won't be disappointed with the screen resolution and processor speed.

Moving from Winmo, you will see a sigh of relief because Blackberry are more user friendly when integrating with Messengers (bbm, msn, yahoo, facebook etc.) and don't forget push emails.

Speakers are excellent with bb. They are well known to pick up good receptions and make fewer drop calls.

I was on Winmo for a period of time myself and made the switch and I'm over joyed by the switch. LOL
    Irresistible 35
    - Unlimited Data + Tethering
    - Unlimited 24/7 Canada & US Calling
    - Unlimited International Text Msg
    - Unlimited Canada & US MMS
    - Voicemail + All Call Control features
    - No Contract