Thread: Time for the First Smart Phone, Woo

Feedback Score

Time for the First Smart Phone, Woo

Hey yall. My tmobile 2-year plan just ran out and I think it's about time for me to switch off my Samsung t439.
    I've always wanted to buy a smart phone, and I figured I might as well splurge right now before I regret picking out something I won't be satisfied with.
    I don't think I want an iPhone though. It seems a little too user-friendly and after messing around with OC and subsequent heat distribution and the accompanying core layout on my desktop, I don't mind having to figure things out. I just enjoy messing around with software occasionally.

My major choices right now would be:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    tmoble myTouch 3g
    HTC Hero

I was also wondering if it would be worth importing a hero if I can't use it on 3g? I wouldn't plan on switching over to Sprint when it gets its official release state side, so would I be hosed with no data plan or anything like that for using an unlocked phone off it's primary service?
    Thus far I've really never messed with Windows Mobile, so I'm not sure how I would enjoy it. My friend owns a G1 though and I'm pretty fond of Android.

If I had to break down features in terms of their importance, I would say:
    1. Customization - Just to be able to mess around with the UI and the features would be cool. A big homebrew community is a must have.
    2. Hardware - I hate lag, and without the opportunity to OC my phone starting statistics are pretty important to me.
    3. Online Market - Apps are always fun, and I've had a great time messing around on the iphone and Android markets.
    4. Media Capabilities - I'm going to need a lot of storage. Support for 32gig microsd would be great although 16gig max wouldn't be crippling. Good web browsers and and media players would be nice too, although any minor inconveniences in web browsing or music storage wouldn't be a huge deal.

Although a full keyboard would be nice, I'm fairly facile with my fingers and I'm pretty sure I'd adapt to an onscreen keyboard fairly quickly.

Anyways I'd appreciate any help yall could give me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Too... user-friendly? Never heard that one before.

At any rate, if you're on T-Mobile, go for a myTouch 3G and be happy. There's a bit of lag but nothing untenable, and you'll be satisfied elsewhere. The touchscreen keyboard isn't iPhone-good but is good enough.

Do try an iPhone 3GS before you switch, though. If you're in an area where AT&T coverage isn't a problem, you'll probably like it. It's one of the speediest smartphones I know. Your homebrew would have to come from jailbreaking (if you don't mind having to restore to a "virgin" state for official help), but obviously it ticks the other checkboxes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    None of the phones listed is running the latest hardware. The processors in the iPhone 3GS / Pre perform MUCH better. I'd wait for another T-Mobile Android phone with a modern processor before buying.

Feedback Score
    How tough would jailbraking an iPhone be, and what do you mean by 'virgin state'?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosotros
    How tough would jailbraking an iPhone be, and what do you mean by 'virgin state'?
    There are apps that will complete the whole jailbreak process in a few minutes, if that.

As for a virgin state, that means the non-jailbroken (i.e. official) firmware condition.

Device(s)
    Modded AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    MA Bell Wireless Part Duex
    Feedback Score
    Jail broke iphone is definitely better as you can run app store apps plus literally millions of apps that didn't make to app store.

Depends on what you use more. I have an Iphone and a HTC Fuze and I prefere the Fuze over the iphone except the screen is bigger on the iphone but the resolution on the fuze blows away the iphone.

Hold out for the Touchpro 2 I have played with it and its worth the wait.
    WM 6.5 is not as buggy as 6.1 My only beef with the TP2 is there is no headphone jack and they ditched the flashlight.

Iphone has the Winmo beat with apps as there all in one location. Winmo has alot of apps but you have to look for them.
    2G = GSM and CDMA
    3G = UMTS, UMB and Wimax
    EVDO = TDMA
    CDMA + EVDO = 3G?

Feedback Score
    Alright thanks for the help yall.

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    N900 got all that and more actually. Maemo is a Debian derivative so it's totally open (visit http://talk.maemo.org/). It will be released in October and app store will most probally be Ovi, but we probally know more of that in Maemo summit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP5R-5NX1BE
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/v...-installation/

•Maemo 5 OS
    •Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, WCDMA/HSPA 900/1700/2100 MHz
    •ARM cortex A8 processor and hardware accelerated 3D
    •Up to 1GB of application memory (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)
    •3.5-inch WVGA (800 x 480)
    •110.9 × 59.8 × 18mm dimension
    •181g weight
    •Portrait-orientation sliding QWERTY keyboard
    •Mozilla-based browser with full Adobe Flash 9.4 support
    •32GB internal memory
    •microSDHC support up to 16GB
    •5.0 MP autofocus camera with Carl Zeiss and dual-LED flash (sliding cover)
    •FM transmitter and TV-Out
    •Wi-Fi
    •Integrated GPS, Assisted-GPS, and Cell-based receivers
    •Micro-USB connector, High-Speed USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP
    •BL-5J 1320 mAh battery

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Feedback Score
    N900 may be a good choice but if the OP wants a smartphone I suggest the E71 or N95 8gb.