Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alltel Plan With a New Verizon Phone

Device(s)
    motorola i730
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score

Alltel Plan With a New Verizon Phone

Im an ex-Alltel customer and was wondering if I can buy a new Verizon phone and continue to keep the same Alltell plan. I realize that I would have to pay full price for the phone. Does anyone know?
    Thanks

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel, now Verizon, with Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score
    If your Alltel contract is up, and you are eligible for a new phone, you can still get a Verizon phone with the discount, and keep your current Alltel plan, as long as you're ok with a 2-year commitment to Verizon.

Also, the Plan can be the same, but sometimes the features (messaging, internet access, etc.) might be different depending on the phone, your needs and wants, etc.

Device(s)
    Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Formerly Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    I went into a local Verizon store yesterday and was told that 1 of 3 lines was eligible for an upgrade, but i would have to change to a Verizon plan. They also said that if I was using a Verizon phone that I would have to have a Verizon plan no ifs ands or buts about it.

Then he tried to sell me on reducing my minutes and losing my circle for an EXTRA $30 per month.

He then went on to tell me how much better the Verizon network was and how I would have unlimited calling to 80 million plus people. When I told him that experience Alltel had better coverage in rural areas (phones side by side), and that I already had mobile to mobile. "Oh but you will get better battery life with a Verizon phone" WHAT!?!? I just said I have a car charger and left.

Has anyone in Charlotte been able to upgrade and keep your plan? What store did you go to?

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Mossimo278:

You are being given a boatload of incorrect information. I have upgraded 2 of 3 lines to Verizon phones, and kept my Alltel plan.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Verizon prior to this, and was told in no uncertain terms by a host of CustServ and Sales people, and their supervisors, that purchase of a Verizon phone would require changing to a Verizon plan. I can categorically state that this is not true!

Further, if you have an Alltel plan, you already have free unlimited calling to those same 80 million plus people.

So don't believe what you are being told. In fact, I did the upgrades online, and bypassed the store completely. I have used the store in Mooresville (Exit 36) to some extent, and they confirmed what I knew to be the case, and contradict the lies you are being handed wherever you're going.

For me, as apparently for you, a Verizon plan to give me the equivalent of what I now have with Alltel would be about $30/month more. Completely unnecessary!!

Now, if you want certain services on your new Verizon phone (texting, VCast, etc.) then you will have to add those specific Verizon features, which will replace the previous Alltel features if you had them. But the underlying plan does not change!!

I know this for a fact, because I have successfully done it!

Device(s)
    Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I will wait another few weeks and hopefully everyone will catch up on what exactly needs to be done. 2 of the phones on the account are fine, but my wife is getting awfully pissy about her scoop keys sticking...

Device(s)
    XV6875 (Touch Pro 2) (Solid)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Red)
    Feedback Score
    my experience has been smooth so far. i had an alltel BB that died a watery death and was sent a verizon BB through asurion. with some working with the reps on the line, and after a little aggravation, eventually everything worked out. online, I no longer have the various alltel bb codes on my account, but verizon codes instead. I still have unlimited texting, and all of the features I enjoyed on my alltel account. new every two comes up in two weeks with one phone up for upgrade. seems like if you do it online, it allows you to keep your current plan as well. tour for only $99? I think so.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossimo278
    I went into a local Verizon store yesterday and was told that 1 of 3 lines was eligible for an upgrade, but i would have to change to a Verizon plan. They also said that if I was using a Verizon phone that I would have to have a Verizon plan no ifs ands or buts about it.

Then he tried to sell me on reducing my minutes and losing my circle for an EXTRA $30 per month.

He then went on to tell me how much better the Verizon network was and how I would have unlimited calling to 80 million plus people. When I told him that experience Alltel had better coverage in rural areas (phones side by side), and that I already had mobile to mobile. "Oh but you will get better battery life with a Verizon phone" WHAT!?!? I just said I have a car charger and left.

Has anyone in Charlotte been able to upgrade and keep your plan? What store did you go to?
    If all 3 of your lines were out of contract - you could get new VZW phones, and keep your Alltel plan - BUT - you said ONE of your lines is ELIGIBLE TO UPGRADE. Verizon is offering to allow you to upgrade your entire account now... it's an incentive to get former Alltel people into VZW phones and price plans. That's all it is...

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428
    Verizon is offering to allow you to upgrade your entire account now... it's an incentive to get former Alltel people into VZW phones and price plans. That's all it is...
    The problem is that too many Verizon employees, both in stores, and on the phone, are saying that if you want to purchase a Verizon phone, that you have to switch to a Verizon plan. And as I've documented above, that is simply not true. It is an option but not a requirement.

And where is the incentive?? - in almost all cases (I imagine there might be the occasional exception) switching to a Verizon plan that would enable one to keep the same number of MyCircle slots is more expensive.

If there were real cost-saving incentives, I'd have a look. But as it is, I am much better off keeping my Alltel plan, and I may be guessing, but I suspect this is true for the large majority of Alltel customers.

Device(s)
    BB Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Allt... er Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was on an Alltel Smart Choice Plan with 1 BB and a LG Scoop. The Scoop was giving problems, so I took it into the Gastonia store. After checking it out, they gave me a replacement LG Env2, no charge.

My Alltel BB Curve was not receiving email or text messages, and I was having trouble getting on the internet since the buyout. I called customer service, they sent me a new BB Curve, no charge. Through all that, I still had the Alltel plan.

I chose to change to a VZW plan after all this because I could get 1400 minutes vs. 500 anytime minutes for $10 more on VZW. (I get a hefty discount because of my employer) At no time did anyone even ask me to change plans, and when I did it on line, I had to click past a warning that I was changing from a plan that was not offered anymore, and there was no turning back. It seems, Verizon wants us former Alltel customers on Red phones more than Red plans.

Device(s)
    XV6875 (Touch Pro 2) (Solid)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Red)
    Feedback Score
    I'd imagine it would make troubleshooting a little bit easier with more red devices floating around than blue.

Device(s)
    Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I sent an e-mail to see if anything had been straightened out yet. This was thier response:

" My name is Giovanni, and I will be happy to assist you with equipment and pricing plan compatibility. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. I was unable to reach you on today. The information that you have been provided is correct. Verizon Wireless's equipment requires a Verizon Wireless pricing plan. You can not activate Verizon Wireless equipment on an Alltel plan. "

So....
    The things I post are my opinion. Not my employers, family's,friends, or yours. Sorry if I offend you, if I do... Please get over it.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossimo278
    I sent an e-mail to see if anything had been straightened out yet. This was thier response:

" My name is Giovanni, and I will be happy to assist you with equipment and pricing plan compatibility. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. I was unable to reach you on today. The information that you have been provided is correct. Verizon Wireless's equipment requires a Verizon Wireless pricing plan. You can not activate Verizon Wireless equipment on an Alltel plan. "

So....
    Unfortunately, 'Giovanni' doesn't have a clue. I have 3 new Verizon phones: HTC Touch Pro 2, LG enV Touch, and Motorola Rival - all on my Alltel plan.

It's pretty sad how ignorant these Verizon employees are...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You can keep your alltel plan when upgrading to a Verizon phone. You just can't switch plans. Now, I was able to do this when I upgraded to the Imagio and my wife's phone to the Rogue. Then I learned I could get a discount through work and had to switch my plan because of how the discount was set up

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman610
    You can keep your alltel plan when ... You just can't switch plans.
    I've heard (friend who knows the wife of the floor sweeper who heard the secretary's boyfriend talking ...<g>) that we ex-Alltel folks can switch to any Alltel plan that was offered at the time of assimilation. I've no interest other than curiosity; is this true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast