Thread: Rogers in Yellowknife

Feedback Score

Rogers in Yellowknife

[FONT=[B]Times New Roman]My daughter just arrived in Yellowknife and sent me a text. She is a Rogers customer but said Bell is providing her service and she doesn't know why.FONT]

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Rogers doesn't have service there, AFAIK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rogers roam on ice wireless ! normally their rogers phone if is a post paid phone ... must work at yellowknife !

http://www.icewireless.ca/

Feedback Score

Rogers in Yellowknife

She has since found out that the service is costing her 90 cents per minute. Roaming through Bell as a Rogers customer, which would explain why she is using a land line line to call. She never requested any type of service in Yellowknife, a message just appeared on her phone shortly after arriving there telling her that Bell service was available on her phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    WHAT THE EHCK???? Rogers cell., roaming on BELL???? Did Bell deploy domestic roaming compatible networks in YK already????
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review
    Maybe it's time to update this....nahhhhh

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That doesn't sound right at all... The only Bell service up there is through NMI... and well, they do have coverage but they're not the tightest ship these days... Goodsoil, what kind of phone is she using?

Unless ICE is doing something underhanded and telling all roamers they're "Bell" when you get there... I guess ICE could put whatever they want in their network banner and welcome message.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Feedback Score
    She is using a Nokia E66 (unlocked) that she bought in Edmonton from an independant dealer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Is her 3G turned on? Maybe Bell has their 3g working up there :O
    Arr~

The Fastest and Most Reliable. Question-Mark?

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Some phones have backup service in the other transmission type -- usually it is CDMA (Bell) phones with a GSM (Rogers) back-up, though. It is meant for overseas use, but if Rogers doesn't serve a region (like the NWT) it may provide service there. Also some companies maintain networks in both GSM and CDMA for roamer usage (the old Alltel here in the States is a good example). That could be the issue here -- and 90cpm is actually cheap for roaming in Canada.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo (Canada), SFR and FREE in France, T-Mobile in US, SETAR in Aruba
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea
    WHAT THE EHCK???? Rogers cell., roaming on BELL???? Did Bell deploy domestic roaming compatible networks in YK already????
    Not nearly as weird as Virgin mobile European SIM cards roaming on Rogers here in Canada (since it's the only GSM provider in the country at this time). Virgin Mobile Canada was not very smart to go with the Bell as a partner here instead of Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Technically she "cannot" be on Bell as a Roger's customer. She is most likely mistaken when she said "Bell". She is most likely on Ice Wireless. Even if Bell had their 3G network running they would probably not allow Roger's customers to use it. (Recall the days before Roger's bought Fido - there was "No" roaming between the 2 companies at that time). Also, as Bell still has not completely launched their 3G network in more populous areas of the country why would they start in a small market of less than 40,000 people?

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gosh..I REALLY wish OP would answer our questions. Really frustrating not knowing if OP knows what's going on and it is really Rogers roaming on Bell...OR OP (thru daughter) just doesn't have a clue. LOL.

Feedback Score
    Her 3G is turned on. She was in Yellowknife for 4 days and each time she turned on her phone it told her she was roaming on the Bell network. My daughter is blind so she uses a screen reader on her phone, as such I am unable to tell you what was visiable on the screen. The sreen reading software will read all underlying links and codes, not just what is visable on the screen. She is back in Edmonton now and I have not looked at her most recent bill to see what showed up. When I do I will post.

Feedback Score
    I noticed the question as to why Rogers would launch in an area of 40000 or so people, it may be that they have an exclusive contract with the Territorial Government and a cost sharing program. The NWT Government has provided incentives `see money`` to many corporations over the years to provide equal service and pricing to the northern community. By doing this it allows them to reduce the amount of dollars paid to Government employees each year to go south. This was paid over and above their regular salary.