Feedback Score
    what kind of range does the off-network walkie-talkie (mototalk) have
    long time reader, new to posting

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score
    Hi Quantum, I have not tested the max range but I will tomorrow talking to a 325is and will post the results. I'm always happy to try and answer questions on the r765 or any other iden or motorola radio.

Feedback Score
    Hey rescue21, where did u find an adapter and antenna for ur r765?
    I was asked about this and my Motorola ProdRep said no such animal. Do u know the antenna connector type?
    Thnx

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score

765 DT Range and RF Adapter

Hi all,

I did a test today with the Direct Talk and it worked reliably 1/2 mile in valleys, 1 mile max in flat areas and with hills from the house to a car using only the stock antennas on the phones. The house is the highest point in the area. Range was plotted with a computer & mapping software with GPS. Typical line of sight for 800-900mhz. But just like a astro system either you'er in 100% or nothing.

RF adapter...the r765 has a sliding cover over the external antenna port for very easy access. The port looks to be the same as the i365is. I have contacted every one I could at Sprint, Motorola, Wilson and Digital Antenna and no luck with any. I found a import adapter online listed for the i365is so I orderd it...the 765 is made in China too so how bad could the connector & cable be?

Device(s)
    i1000
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

mototalk ( off-network walkie-talkie range)

thanks rescue21! Did I read your response right! A 1/2 mile thats it! I thought the range would be alot greater than the other iden phones with this feature?

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score

r765 DT Range

Hi Quantum,
    Yes a true 1/2 mile radius with 100% coverage with hills, valleys, trees buildings etc. Up to 1 mile over flat land with trees and buildings. This was from inside a car with the 765 to outside of the house with a 325. Not bad I would say for a 1/2 watt at 900mhz. Our 30watt 800mhz mobiles off the repeater would only talk line of sight on a straight highway....don't forget its digital and needs a very good signal to rx all the ones and zeros.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rescue21
    Hi all,

I did a test today with the Direct Talk and it worked reliably 1/2 mile in valleys, 1 mile max in flat areas and with hills from the house to a car using only the stock antennas on the phones. The house is the highest point in the area. Range was plotted with a computer & mapping software with GPS. Typical line of sight for 800-900mhz. But just like a astro system either you'er in 100% or nothing.

RF adapter...the r765 has a sliding cover over the external antenna port for very easy access. The port looks to be the same as the i365is. I have contacted every one I could at Sprint, Motorola, Wilson and Digital Antenna and no luck with any. I found a import adapter online listed for the i365is so I orderd it...the 765 is made in China too so how bad could the connector & cable be?

What web site did you find the "import adapter" on? I'm assuming its for the RF side. I believe this is a 7mx1.0 connector.

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score

765 RF adapter

Hi Dan,

Well...I hope the "adapter" I orderd will fit. Last night I tried an adapter for the 325is and it fits the 365is this of course after Wilson and Digital Antenna said the have nothing for the 365...if it is the same adapter it will not fit the 765 without modification to the adapter connector. You mention 7mX1.0 funny I was looking in the Tessco book this morning and that was my thought too...looks like a GE portable connector. If you look at the connector for the 765 rubber ant. the threads do nothing not even ground as the center pin and the threads are one piece on the rubber antenna. The pin makes the connection to the copper tab at the bottom of the threads. The rear external antenna connection on the 765 looks like it should mate with a docking station if Motorola ever produces one. One way or another I have to solve this as I need to use a direct amp and antenna for coverage.

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score
    Best Cellular Distributor, do a Google search for " i365is antenna adapter" and scroll half way down page. FME antenna adapter cable for Motorola i365is, if it is the same as the 325 I will sell this one as they don't take returns.

Feedback Score
    I noticed the same thing about the pic & threads being common. If I find that it is a 7mx1.0, I;ll let u know, there's a few people that make a half wave with that connector. Advance Tec is devolping a "car kit" for Motorola. Let me know if u hear anything.

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score
    Ok, starting to get somewhere. Rumer has it (Iden Customer Service) Moto will have a car kit that the r765 will snap in that will make the antenna connection, audio, power etc., and also a 12v charger cable for the cig-lighter both should be out sometime around the 4qtr .....no audio adapter, they want you to use their headsets.

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score

r765

Well the adapter for the i365is came in but it does not fit the i365is nor the 765 but they did take it back. The adapter for the i325is will fit the 365 with a tight fit thru the battery cover. It should also work on the 765 with a little grinding of the adapter barrel with a Dremmel tool. The 765 has a tapered hole for the car kit antenna connection. Nylon carry cases with D swivel clips are out for sale now too. The r750 still has better RF coverage....they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score
    Hello All,

The long awaited car kit is available from Motorola.
    FHN7161 cradle $475 list
    FHN7162 junction box $175 list
    You will need mobile 800mhz & GPS antennas and a rf amp to complete the install.
    I may build the car kit into a watertight box with a sealed lead acid battery, Wilson 5w amp and mag mount antennas.

Feedback Score
    Are there any specs or pics of the car kit? Where did u see it?
    Thnx

Device(s)
    Motorola r765IS
    Carrier(s)
    SprintNextel
    Feedback Score
    Hi Dan, specs and pics are hard to come by. I may be able to send you a picture directly to your email. It is a very nice kit. You slide open the antenna connection door on the back of the 765 and snap the radio in the console. It has provisions for 10w external speaker, hand held mic (like a motorola mobile Maxtrac or CDM series) remote PTT, Visor mic and best of all a telephone handset (sold as an option) this is the feature I like the best. It requires 12vdc, ign. sens, 800mhz antenna and a GPS antenna. Another note in my research...the M710 mobile is .25w rf power and rx sens 103db, the 765 rx sens is 111db. I was going to go with the 710 instead of the carkit (710 list $499) but the radio specs are better for the 765, the hassel of swapping the SIM each time, you would be stuck in the car during a call- (with the kit just pop the radio out and keep talking) and the 710 is not bluetooth. There is also a 800/GPS stubby antenna out now for the 765 and several carry cases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast