Thread: Banner ads hose forum features

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Banner ads hose forum features

Good job on the advertising. NOT!

The stupid banner ad blocks access to forum features. Wanna use the Quick Links to mark the forums read? Can't. I'd say this is retarded, but that would be an insult to retarded people everywhere who are too smart to do something like this. Poor planning? Oversight? Or just lack of caring so long as those ad $$ keep rolling in?

Feedback Score
    Doesn't happen here Opera 10.00 Beta in PCLinuxOS 2009.2.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You don't have a right to complain about using a free message board. You can go Premium, then complain.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have sent a link to this thread to Howard who will look into it. Apologies for the inconvenience. However, in the future we would ask for a more constructive tone with feedback. Insults are not appreciated. Thank you.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Tour 9630: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

@OP
    Is this how to talk to people in the real world or just in situations where you don't have to actually face people? I wouldn't imagine many people would respect or even like you if this is how you talk to everyone. As it's been stated, you're using a FREE forum. Mistakes happen, and those that run this site are usually quite quick to resolve technical issues. Not only that, they're very receptive to CONTRUCTIVE feedback. Just chill out already! Oh and you're lucky I'm not a moderator as I'd ban you for being ignorant.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My apologies to all for the most douche-like tone of my comments. After re-reading what I posted, even I thought "what an arsehole!"

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No worries. We'll get this resolved as soon as we can.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yay! I can access the features previously hidden behind the banner ad. And again, sorry about the snarky/douchy tone of the original comment.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Yay! I can access the features previously hidden behind the banner ad. And again, sorry about the snarky/douchy tone of the original comment.
    Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    SpeakOut, but
    Feedback Score
    I didn't want to start a new thread related to advertising but the big BlackBerry pillar ads on the LEFT should be rendered FIRST on the page (in the HTML data stream) because having them pop in after most of the page is rendered causes everything to jump to the right and it's very irritating / jarring. Has this been mentioned before? I'm a bit of a Web developer / forum customizer and would be happy to "consult" at no charge on this: for starters, if the page area was reserved early in the data stream with a height-width roughly equivalent to what might show up in that space, the shift to the right could be minimized.

I know it can require an entire rewrite of code to get these things resolved, I don't think my boss would accept that kind late-data-stream page readjustment: it's very 'jarring' (as the old VP of Marketing used to say).

p.s. I love BlackBerry products and don't mind banner ads one bit, but again, seizure-inducing screen redraws are 'obsolete'!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    not that i have the power to correct this problem, just trying the duplicate the issue.

do you have a link to where this happens?
    i can only seem to get horizontal ads and a square ad, nothing down the left side.

Feedback Score
    Take screenshot of this "right-shifting" page and post it so we can see if it is an issue.

I know for the Index Page, the forum is shifted slightly to the right due to how the Breaking News links and vertical column ad is placed. Once you navigate to a Sub-forum it becomes evenly spaced left to right.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    SpeakOut, but
    Feedback Score
    Hi; When the page first loads it looks like this

http://yfrog.com/5phofobeforej

then it loads up the banners and pushes everything over

http://yfrog.com/j1hofoafterj

I have tested the cross-site script references and the problem doesn't occur if I allow "netshelter.net" on howardforums.com. I don't mind ads etc., but I am wary of third-party traffic analysis (solely for the reason that if they're going to sell my usage data, I want a cut!) but if netshelter.net is ONLY a source of scripts etc. and they can be trusted, I will allow it.

HoFo is the first forum site I've ever been on where I have had this problem

EDIT: When I allow ALL scripts on the page, it's far worse: the ads appear then disappear then reappear. Maybe there is a general incompatibility with NoScript?

The NoScript add on for Firefox is available at:

http://noscript.net/

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

i get no ads on wap or hofo large
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16