Thread: Please tell me it ain't so!!!!

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Please tell me it ain't so!!!!

OK, so I called VZW to get a heads up on the change over. I was informed that I will need to get a VZW phone (can keep existing Alltel plan) once the change is complete. This would mean that my $350 Touch Pro would become useless?? He said I would not be able to use my current phone. This sucks!! I sure hope there will be a work around or that this information is incorrect.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by revrdr800X
    OK, so I called VZW to get a heads up on the change over. I was informed that I will need to get a VZW phone (can keep existing Alltel plan) once the change is complete. This would mean that my $350 Touch Pro would become useless?? He said I would not be able to use my current phone. This sucks!! I sure hope there will be a work around or that this information is incorrect.
    If your phone is CDMA, I'm 99% sure the info is wrong. I have a Touch (Alltel) and had no trouble at all. My wife has a V3a and has no trouble.

We were Alltel CDMA and are in an area with Verizon CDMA.

There are other quirks we're learning about, but phone compatibility is not an issue.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    its completely untrue. the thing is, there have been a ton of non-divested alltels that have already made the change to verizon, like most of the south. Ask any of them, they have been 100% verizon with their alltel handsets since june 11th

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel converted)
    Feedback Score
    I'm in the South Area where we've already been converted to Verizon billing and just recently network too.

* You can keep an Alltel phone on an Alltel plan.
    * You can change plans to any of the "current" Alltel plans.
    * You can upgrade to a VZW handset and put it on an Alltel plan *but* you may not be able to have the same features (e.g. Connect Packs) on any lines with VZW phones. VZW handsets on Alltel plans will get the Alltel PRL.
    * To change to a VZW plan, you must have a VZW handset. Alltel handsets are not allowed on VZW plans.
    * Alltel phones will not or ever be able to use specific VZW features like VZNavigator and Visual Voicemail. You have to have a VZW handset.

Alltel phones are tracked by ESN so you can't get away with flashing an Alltel phone with VZW software or anything like that. The billing system controls this.

VZW employees will tell you anything they can to get you to upgrade/renew your contract to a VZW plan. I believe a lot of misinformation is being distributed among the Sales channels so Alltel customers are strong-armed into changing their plans. So don't believe everything you are told by the first Rep. Always get a second opinion!

Now to encourage the switch to VZW plans, I would note that Alltel customers will have issues with roaming charges as well as data features because the VZW engineers that control things such as PRLs and the maintanence of networks, are going to give their attention first to current VZW plans, products, and services. That is the nature of any conversion. Alltel paid little attention to billing and other issues experienced by the customers they acquired as well (like CenturyTel, Cellular One - Mississippi). If you are running into issues with billing and with features (like data) than converting to VZW phones/plans, will probably solve your problems.

Feedback Score
    if i wanna activate a BB when the conversion is complete do i need to pay the BB feature..i wouldnt think so since im on a smartplan

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel converted)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by codyiscool
    if i wanna activate a BB when the conversion is complete do i need to pay the BB feature..i wouldnt think so since im on a smartplan
    Alltel BB no problem. There has been alot of confusion over if upgrading to a VZW device on a SmartChoice Pack plan, if you keep the Alltel 7PM N&W and Data features. The latest report I've seen posted in HoFo is that you do, but I feel like VZW employees will try to put the VZW data feature which costs extra on your account. Best advice I can give on this is to upgrade online through MyVerizon and see if it will let you keep the Alltel free data feature. If not then try Customer Service or Retail.

Anyone have experience upgrading to a VZW device on a Smartpack?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

that rep is a bit confused. you wont be forced to a new phone. and IIRC if you were to get a V phone you will be required to be on a V plan. my alltel hint works fine on the now V network

Device(s)
    EnV3
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Didn't turn out that way for me.

At the time of the transition, Verizon did something to the towers I get service from at home. My Moto Q9c barely gets a signal. Our Moto Hint has always been quirky losing calls and messages sent/received weren't. It became noticeably worse on that fateful day. I did have the upgrade installed recently. Didn't make a difference with the signal, but maybe it will help with the dropped calls and message issue as we switched phones since they gave me that option at no charge or without extending contracts. I am hoping to find a monster flash that includes the upgrade so I can use it as my Moto Q9c is out of commission for now. It is usually best to do a fresh install then to update.

Other people with some Alltel phones are having trouble with data here. Your experience could vary.

An env2 seems to be working OK. So does a RAZR V3m.

I think it's ridiculous that phones that were made for the both networks cannot be flashed to Verizon software if it comes to that. It's all about selling more phones and contracts.

:-( .
    EnV3
    EnV2
    Moto V3m

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Feedback Score

Alltel-Verizon Question

I may not be posting in the right place, but this thread seemed suitable. I have U Prepaid with Alltel. For me, it's really a good deal because I have unlimited nights/weekends and unlimited texting. I don't use the phone a lot outside of nights/weekends and when I need to talk to someone outside of the night/weekend time frame, I text them. If you don't use the phone anytime other than your nights/weekends and unlimited texting you pay $22.50/month. So even if I end up talking with someone during the weekday, I usually only spend $30-$35/month. This is great for me because I'm in nursing school and the majority of my money is usually spent before I ever receive it.

I have a clamshell LG phone and it's really starting to show some wear. I'll have had it for 2 years in November and the buttons are beginning to malfunction, as well as a charger that you have to jiggle. It also does this weird thing from time to time with texting. Every once and a while I will go into the texting tab and I can't type in anything. I have to turn the phone off and back on. Not a major issue, just annoying. I would like to buy a new phone, but I'm completely unsure on where to buy it as the Alltel site no longer shows phones anymore.

Do I buy phones from Verizon now? And if so, can I still keep my existing Prepaid plan if I do that? And are they going to keep U Prepaid around for a while? (because it would be a complete disappointment to buy a new phone and then lose my service or be forced to switch over to Verizon).

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossroadsTech
    I upgraded one of my 3 lines to an EnV Touch with no problem. I'm on the SmartChoice 1200.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel Has been, verizon Now!!!
    Feedback Score
    I live in Pensacola Florida and we are fully converted to Verizon at this time. I have a VE20 my wife has a V3A without any problems at all. I just returned from Key West and tethered with my VE20. My ALLTEL plan only used minutes for tethering and I was concerned about getting a bill for it from Verizon. I got my latest bill and it was just as I had heard, The same as Alltels previous billing. On the bill it stated DATA and only used my minutes for tethering. Hell with the conversion most of my 10 my circle numbers are now free anyway because of the number of people that are with verizon. It sure would be nice to keep the minutes of use when tethering when we are forced to go with a verizon plan.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by dramaticliz
    I may not be posting in the right place, but this thread seemed suitable. I have U Prepaid with Alltel. For me, it's really a good deal because I have unlimited nights/weekends and unlimited texting. I don't use the phone a lot outside of nights/weekends and when I need to talk to someone outside of the night/weekend time frame, I text them. If you don't use the phone anytime other than your nights/weekends and unlimited texting you pay $22.50/month. So even if I end up talking with someone during the weekday, I usually only spend $30-$35/month. This is great for me because I'm in nursing school and the majority of my money is usually spent before I ever receive it.

I have a clamshell LG phone and it's really starting to show some wear. I'll have had it for 2 years in November and the buttons are beginning to malfunction, as well as a charger that you have to jiggle. It also does this weird thing from time to time with texting. Every once and a while I will go into the texting tab and I can't type in anything. I have to turn the phone off and back on. Not a major issue, just annoying. I would like to buy a new phone, but I'm completely unsure on where to buy it as the Alltel site no longer shows phones anymore.

Do I buy phones from Verizon now? And if so, can I still keep my existing Prepaid plan if I do that? And are they going to keep U Prepaid around for a while? (because it would be a complete disappointment to buy a new phone and then lose my service or be forced to switch over to Verizon).
    You can use any alltel non-smartphone on alltel u plans. You will need to buy them off ebay or locally however.

Device(s)
    BB 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossroadsTech
    Alltel BB no problem. There has been alot of confusion over if upgrading to a VZW device on a SmartChoice Pack plan, if you keep the Alltel 7PM N&W and Data features. The latest report I've seen posted in HoFo is that you do, but I feel like VZW employees will try to put the VZW data feature which costs extra on your account. Best advice I can give on this is to upgrade online through MyVerizon and see if it will let you keep the Alltel free data feature. If not then try Customer Service or Retail.

I upgraded to a Alltel smartchoice plan with three lines. My phone is an Alltel Treo 755p. I bought my wife a Verizon Centro(eBay) for her line and added a line with a Verizon Moto A455 for my daughter. All the phones work just fine. My wife's Centro has had no problems with anything data related or MMS. It has an Alltel PRL as does the Moto.
    Will