Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Text message notification and badges missing

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Text message notification and badges missing

Today, my 3GS started refusing to show any badges (the red bubble with the number inside that shows how many new texts you have, for those that may not know) when I receive texts, even if I don't open/read them.

Also, it is jailbroken, and I am running status notifier, and the white text bubble up top isn't showing either.

It's getting pretty frustrating

I do get the initial pop-up, but after that, nothing.

I don't wanna have to restore and re-jailbreak; anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update: I got the badges and status notifier icons to show up again by going into MySMS (which I don't use; I forgot I had it and had the icon hidden... it's still the trial version, but thought I'd fool around til I could make something work.) It had the option "show badge on default client?" and I chose yes... but nowwww my pop-ups aren't working correctly. It will come up and show I have on only if I am actively using the phone. It no longer lights up if the phone is asleep. It will make the text noise, but I have to press the home button to see the pop up and see who it is... and it won't automatically go into my text app when I slide to unlock, just takes me to home screen.

Sigh.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It cracks me up when people jailbreak their phones... then wonder why it doesn't operate like it did before jailbreaking it.

||||||

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by civicracer24
    It cracks me up when people jailbreak their phones... then wonder why it doesn't operate like it did before jailbreaking it.
    well said my man, I was just about to say the exact same thing but then I saw your post. Another reason not to jailbreak.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    bla bla bla.. Don't jailbreak your phone, more fun for us that can work our jailbreak programs....
    Are you going to teach these people to fish, or just keep feeding them???

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^

Haha! Seriously. My phone works fine, thanks.
    Currently listening to: Oli G - Orchid

Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Pi ra cy discussions are not allowed here.
    You are ban ned!

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G 8GB 3.0 J/B
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    for reals! iv never had any issues like everyone is complaning about, and iv had my phone jailbrocken for almost a year and its just fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ^^^
    Ha ha! That's what I'm talking about! You tell 'em MP!

Feedback Score
    All I can say is if you are going to jailbreak your phone RTFM!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3gs 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You guys are a REAL helping community... BRAVO!!!!

Brynn, Maybe try removing the mySMS app and reinstalling it. Could just be a buggy app.
    Stop installing all this weird stuff lol, you always do that.... No wonder your phone starts acting up :P

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Why don't you uninstall all those programs and see if it works. Then reinstall them and see what program causes the issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n19htmare
    You guys are a REAL helping community... BRAVO!!!!

Brynn, Maybe try removing the mySMS app and reinstalling it. Could just be a buggy app.
    Stop installing all this weird stuff lol, you always do that.... No wonder your phone starts acting up :P

Wrong this community is very helpful to those who help themselves.

If you just go and decide to jailbreak without reading all the relevant info (and its all out there) and then come crying here saying you FUBAR'd your phone what do you expect?

Now I am a noob par excellence when it comes to all this jailbreak stuff but have never had any problems at all. Why? because I read up on everything I needed to know before I went ahead with jailbreaking.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3gs 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samsung man

If you just go and decide to jailbreak without reading all the relevant info (and its all out there) and then come crying here saying you FUBAR'd your phone what do you expect?

Now I am a noob par excellence when it comes to all this jailbreak stuff but have never had any problems at all. Why? because I read up on everything I needed to know before I went ahead with jailbreaking.
    1) She didn't fubar her phone.
    2) She came for help, not to get scolded for Jailbreaking.
    3) I searched mySMS and not much came up. It's an app, it's not like she bricked her phone, she's looking for others who may be using similar app. When you don't find anything in search, you make a thread. Which is what she did.

you ARE a noob, because you would know this problem has nothing to do with the phone being jailbroken, it most likely has to do with mySMS and it possibly having compatibility issues with 3.0.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow. Nice stuff to come back to :P

Okay, first of all, I did nothing wrong when I jailbroke my phone. It's been jailbroken pretty much since I got it a month ago, and everything has worked fine.

Here's what happened:

I had both biteSMS and MySMS installed from the beginning; I just never used MySMS. I used bite until the trial expired, once it expired, I removed biteSMS and returned to using the factory SMS app. Everything was fine for a few days. Didn't mess with any settings or anything like that.

One day, badges (the red numbers) and status bar notifications stopped showing up (though pop-ups still worked.) That bugged me, so I went into my SMS and enabled the option there to show badges on default (factory) SMS client. Now badges work, and status bar, but the pop-ups don't (it doesn't pop up when I get a text at all and give me option to read or close text; I have to press home button and go to my sms app to read it. That is unless my phone is in sleep mode, then it will make the sms noise, but i have to hit the home button myself to light up the screen and see the blue bar telling me who the text is from, then I have to manually slide the bar to open it up.)

Guess I may try uninstalling status notifier and mySMS, rebooting, then seeing if that helps.

For the record, yes, I know obviously jailbreaking comes with it's risks and sometimes there are gonna be some hiccups with stuff, but doesn't mean it isn't worth it... nor does it mean I'm a COMPLETE idiot and that I FUBARd my phone. Easy people -_-

I make dumb mistakes, but at least it's still functioning at this point, just not ideally, lol... and who is to say if it's cause of an app or what? :P

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samsung man

Who are you to say I didn't read any relevant info? At what point did I say I did anything wrong in the jailbreak process, or that I've had problems since then? What info would you recommend I have read to avoid having this texting problem?

Cause I'm not sure that's really covered in advance when jailbreaking... I'm just sayin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast