Thread: Treo 650 questions

Feedback Score

Treo 650 questions

I just moved from a Treo 700p (CDMA: Verizon) to a used Treo 650 (GSM: formerly Cingular, now AT&T)--wife wanted an iPhone, I wasn't ready to leave Palm. I was surprised by some behavior on the 650 (which I know is older than the 700p), can anyone help me with these 3 questions--?

1) The 680 will not charge using the 700p's USB sync cord (from Palm) unless I plug the wall charger into the phone connector of the sync cord. (HotSync-ing works fine). Is there some hidden setting I can change? Or do I just need to get a new sync cord?

2) Manual dialing on the 680 is *slow*: I can enter a bunch of digits and the 680 takes its time to actually send the Touch Tones (like a third grader might slowly dial.) This happens both for both manual dialing and for "extra digits" automatically sent after the called party (e.g. home or work voicemail) answers. Some setting I can change to speed this up (e.g. Touch Tone duration, interval between Touch Tones)?

3) During calls, I hear some white noise in the background. I assume is this "comfort noise" to let a user know there's still a call in progress. Any way to soften or eliminate this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    --daniel ("Freqman")

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freqman
    I just moved from a Treo 700p (CDMA: Verizon) to a used Treo 650 (GSM: formerly Cingular, now AT&T)--wife wanted an iPhone, I wasn't ready to leave Palm. I was surprised by some behavior on the 650 (which I know is older than the 700p), can anyone help me with these 3 questions--?

1) The 680 will not charge using the 700p's USB sync cord (from Palm) unless I plug the wall charger into the phone connector of the sync cord. (HotSync-ing works fine). Is there some hidden setting I can change? Or do I just need to get a new sync cord?

2) Manual dialing on the 680 is *slow*: I can enter a bunch of digits and the 680 takes its time to actually send the Touch Tones (like a third grader might slowly dial.) This happens both for both manual dialing and for "extra digits" automatically sent after the called party (e.g. home or work voicemail) answers. Some setting I can change to speed this up (e.g. Touch Tone duration, interval between Touch Tones)?

3) During calls, I hear some white noise in the background. I assume is this "comfort noise" to let a user know there's still a call in progress. Any way to soften or eliminate this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    --daniel ("Freqman")
    1) I have a Treo 680 and but I don't have a 700p (but I have a Palm TX) and from what I remember the Palm TX's USB sync cable will not charge the Treo 680 but the Palm TX's USB synch cable will charge itself. I believe that you will need a special cable to charge it. I charge my Treo 680 using the USB sync cable from my Treo 650 and it must be plugged into the AC outlet as well (or at least the AC piece must be removed and placed into the phone separately.

2) Sadly, this is "normal". The only thing that might speed it up is to perform a soft reset or if you have a lot of programs installed, you might try wiping your Treo 680 and slowing installing it to see if certain programs or the abundance of programs is causing the slowdown.

3) I'm not sure what you mean. I don't hear any noise when I'm using my Treo 680 unless I'm using a handsfree bluetooth attachment.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Palm 755p - My bastion of hope
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO
    Feedback Score
    IIRC, the 680 came out the same time as the 755p...*checks phonescoop* well. the 680 (approved november 06) is older than the 755p (which was approved in may 07) but the 700p is older than the 680 by a year. Numbers can be deceiving

I dont know what the deal with the syncing is though. All I know is that the dock I just bought (from palm) has a standard sync cable, and that cable has a spot for the charger to plug in. maybe they changed the pins from the 700p to the 680. I assume that the 700p will charge with just a sync cable with no charger attached?
    Need a sprint referral number? PM me!

SATISFACTORY

Device(s)
    Treo 700p (prev. Treo 650, e815, e816)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freqman
    .....The 680 will not charge using the 700p's USB sync cord (from Palm) unless I plug the wall charger into the phone connector of the sync cord. (HotSync-ing works fine). Is there some hidden setting I can change? Or do I just need to get a new sync cord?.....
    There must be a reason why the sync cable plug has a receptacle to insert a charger cord.

I have read some claims that you can get a trickle charge from the USB cable alone. If you have done better than that with your 700p, then perhaps you were using a USB port with auxiliary power. I always use the charger cord with my 650 - my understanding is that the USB sync cable was not intended to be used by itself for charging.