Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Email intl roaming and still charged extra

Device(s)
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    I would agree that email attachments are part of an "email service", but I think what's happening here is that T-Mobile considers all DNS addresses other than the BB text email to be "internet access", including the separate server that they must store the attachments on, otherwise they would never know the difference. So, because T-Mobile interprets BB putting attachments on a separate server to mean that it is a different service than email, that is why you were charged.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    When activating the intl BB service, at least for the past 6 or so months, the CS person makes clear data is not included - just the email itself. As previously mentioned, they now send an auto SMS when you are roaming overseas warning about possible charges - altho they don't refer to email attachments specifically in the SMS.

...mike

Whether attachments should be included is a question to be discussed. I am sure T-M would have to increase their rates.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by minimo3
    If you travel a lot with your BB, AT&T offers the best international Blackberry plan - $64.99/mth for unlimited domestic and international BES. You can use both email and data... and the occasional tethering ;-) I've been using it for a year now. Never get charged for overages.
    No, AT&T's plan requires a 1-year commitment on that plan or $175 to get out of it. You also have to be part of a business (either on a corporate plan or getting a corporate discount) in order to get it. If you don't meet those requirements, it's $69.99 for a paltry 50MB. Sprint and Verizon offers unlimited data for 69.99/m with NO commitment (64.99/m for VZW if you have a voice plan and $40/m for Sprint on any Everything Data plan).

No US carrier can beat Sprint or Verizon when it comes to international data. Hell, Sprint even offers free text messaging (i.e. taking away from your messaging plan and not charging) to and from US domestic numbers while abroad.

- VDubb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler
    When activating the intl BB service, at least for the past 6 or so months, the CS person makes clear data is not included - just the email itself. As previously mentioned, they now send an auto SMS when you are roaming overseas warning about possible charges - altho they don't refer to email attachments specifically in the SMS.

...mike

Whether attachments should be included is a question to be discussed. I am sure T-M would have to increase their rates.
    I got those messages but that didn't say email and I only only got those in the UK when I was roaming on Tmo. I actually manually picked a different carrier because every time I would lose signal (happens a lot on the underground) I'd get that annoying text.

Device(s)
    3GS iPhone. Gone: 2G iPhone; 3G iPhone; Curve (2X); Dash (2X);
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile and ATT (dialtone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb
    <snip>

No US carrier can beat Sprint or Verizon when it comes to international data. Hell, Sprint even offers free text messaging (i.e. taking away from your messaging plan and not charging) to and from US domestic numbers while abroad.

- VDubb
    What handset do you use for this? One of the BB hybrid CDMA/GSM worldphones (or whatever they call them)?

I am a T-Mobile customer and routinely used Blackberry service while traveling and now I can see it was a good deal only because their billing systems were so porous. :-) One of the key reasons for staying with T-Mobile is the ability to take my Curve overseas and use email cheaply. If attachments now cost me $16/MB, well, it's yet another reason to look elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    What handset do you use for this? One of the BB hybrid CDMA/GSM worldphones (or whatever they call them)?

I am a T-Mobile customer and routinely used Blackberry service while traveling and now I can see it was a good deal only because their billing systems were so porous. :-) One of the key reasons for staying with T-Mobile is the ability to take my Curve overseas and use email cheaply. If attachments now cost me $16/MB, well, it's yet another reason to look elsewhere.
    Verizon has the Storm and Tour, and Sprint has the Tour which are 3G world capable phones. They also have the Touch Pro2 coming out which is world capable as well. All the phones listed are dual-band CDMA/quad-band GSM/single-band W-CDMA/HSPA (3G). 3GSM supports European and Asian bands, so you can't use 3GSM in the US (you have CDMA 3G in the US). So not only do you have 3G with the Sprint and Verizon phones in the US, you have 3G anywhere you travel (which can't be said about any of T-Mobile's BlackBerries). Along with that, the BlackBerry Tour and Storm supports HSDPA 7.2 AND HSUPA 5.6, the only US 3G BlackBerries to do so (meaning that not even AT&T's Bold supports that).

Sprint phones come SIM unlocked and Verizon is usually pretty good about giving out lock codes. You can also get SIMs from Sprint or Verizon to use in other unlocked phones.The pricing for International data is the same for BES or regular data.

When it comes to International Data and BlackBerries, Sprint and Verizon offer the best services currently. If you want data only, it's only $69.99/m from both. Verizon, you can get voice and data for $104.99/m with 450 minutes (plus international roaming rates for voice calls and SMS fees where available), Sprint can get you 450 minutes, unlimited text (where available), and unlimited data for $109.99/m, and of course, you can eliminate the international data anytime you don't need it. Sprint gives you the overall best value since you can have unlimited free domestic messaging (text, pics, vids) while broad.

- VDubb

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile international e-mail plan in Mexico

I recently traveled to Mexico and activated the international e-mail plan. I was getting answers like "I would think XYZ" when I asked the rep for specifics, so I asked for a supervisor since I didn't want to depend on answers from someone who was largely out to lunch. The supervisor, Jasmine, said that data was included in the international e-mail plan. I doubted it, so I asked her again, thinking that maybe there were different rules for Mexico vs. traveling in Europe. She again said data was included in the $20/month fee. I will be curious to see my bill this month. I tried to limit my data usage, but still, I did use the Internet a bit. When I was in Europe last fall, I was not charged for data usage, but I considered it a fluke.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unless you're lucking enough to get the one of the two or three reps out of 100, most International support reps are morons. When I was traveling abroad a couple months ago, most Sprint International support reps had no clue about how messaging worked abroad, or that I could use a Sprint SIM in an unlocked phone (they insisted that I could only use Sprint-approved). I managed to get one rep who could order a SIM and knew how messaging services worked. When I was abroad, I ran into data issues because I forgot to ask for international data settings, called them up, and got a rep who knew what to do right from the get-go to get it setup on a Nokia...totally lucked out.

- VDubb

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb
    No, AT&T's plan requires a 1-year commitment on that plan or $175 to get out of it. You also have to be part of a business (either on a corporate plan or getting a corporate discount) in order to get it. If you don't meet those requirements, it's $69.99 for a paltry 50MB. Sprint and Verizon offers unlimited data for 69.99/m with NO commitment (64.99/m for VZW if you have a voice plan and $40/m for Sprint on any Everything Data plan).

- VDubb
    Yea, going with ATT ulim email + data is 200$/mo on a standard plan w/no contract effect.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kel3ler
    I recently traveled to Mexico and activated the international e-mail plan. I was getting answers like "I would think XYZ" when I asked the rep for specifics, so I asked for a supervisor since I didn't want to depend on answers from someone who was largely out to lunch. The supervisor, Jasmine, said that data was included in the international e-mail plan. I doubted it, so I asked her again, thinking that maybe there were different rules for Mexico vs. traveling in Europe. She again said data was included in the $20/month fee. I will be curious to see my bill this month. I tried to limit my data usage, but still, I did use the Internet a bit. When I was in Europe last fall, I was not charged for data usage, but I considered it a fluke.
    I hope you got her to document that

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - US
    Feedback Score
    I had posted a similar message in the T-Mobile BB forum here - where I was getting billed everytime although I had the unlimited email. At first I thought it was an app like Google Maps (with Lattitude) connecting - so this last time I deleted any app that would connect and use data like this.

Got back this week and another $200 data roaming bill - T-Mobile credited it straight back - but it is a real pain to call every month and get it credited back. Having read more on here that it seems like it is the attachments in email (not links but attached files) does make sense - but if the attachment is part of the email message then it should be included in the unlimited plan.

It would be different if the data roaming rates were reasonable - but we all know they are outrageous. And with a BB it's not always feasable with the way the BB service works to get a local SIM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2