Cricket
    Feedback Score
    An Update, I just got mine!

Device(s)
    Razr3 V9m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think I figured out how they'll make money from it. When people leave you a voice message, their system transcribes it into a text message you get in e-mail or SMS on your cell phone. I figure they're analyzing the message and generating a profile from the content and selling the info to marketers.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, my profile won't make much sense then. It's funny to read those transcriptions.

Device(s)
    Motorola QA30
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I would just add the number to My Circle (your corresponding Google Voice number). Google voice is awesome because it has free spam controls. Verizon doesn't ugh.. can't wait til my contract is up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by axarce
    I think I figured out how they'll make money from it. When people leave you a voice message, their system transcribes it into a text message you get in e-mail or SMS on your cell phone. I figure they're analyzing the message and generating a profile from the content and selling the info to marketers.
    Yeah, that'd be a pretty big privacy and legal issue for Google if they don't disclose that somewhere. So, it they don't, then they are more than likely not doing it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Just received one today after signing up less than a month ago.
    "Shouldn't you be working?"

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthetas
    the grass is usually greenest over the septic system. think about it

Device(s)
    Motorola E-815
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent
    Don't talk too soon, remember this is still a beta offering and there is some talk of it being a pay service in some capacity besides the current international dialing charges. An interesting thing here in the 707 area code is that all of the numbers offered for google voice are actually Verizon Wireless numbers.
    It's not actually a Verizon Wireless number, they just happen to share the same prefix. This happens a lot. In my town there is a prefix shared by Verizon Wireless and now Comcast. The prefixes aren't allocated totally to one company. They are only handed out thousands at a time and if another company needs a local prefix it's possible for them to get assigned the same prefix as another company.[/QUOTE]

Interesting though is that when you dial any of the available numbers you get the Verizon Wireless recording as well. That's what caught my curiosity. I did not think to try the numbers on an Impulse Phone to see if it was actually going to go through as "IN" calling. Why would Verizon give up a block of numbers in various calling areas, not just one prefix? Might there be something in the works?
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i signed up about a week ago for the waiting list... do i just sit tight and wait? about how long? how long did people who already got it wait?
    If it isn't a Motorola, it really isn't a phone...
    Motorola from the beginning, to the end... (Even though I may use others...

HOFO Feedback (Little it may be)

My Ebay Feedback

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just got my invitation a little while ago after having I signed up for GrandCentral a lot longer than 6 months ago. It's been at least a year, maybe longer. Out of curiosity, I just signed up again and made a note of the date to see what happens this time.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there's a time limit on the invitations?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessflyer
    Interesting though is that when you dial any of the available numbers you get the Verizon Wireless recording as well. That's what caught my curiosity. I did not think to try the numbers on an Impulse Phone to see if it was actually going to go through as "IN" calling. Why would Verizon give up a block of numbers in various calling areas, not just one prefix? Might there be something in the works?
    You can go to www.localcallingguide.com and search area code & prefix to see who those blocks are assigned to and how they sometimes are broken up. In my area, Google shares a block with Nextel. And AT&T Mobility shares a block with Level 3.
    Fast is good. Faster is better!

Feedback Score
    Got my GV number this week. So far it really works out great. Free calls to anywhere!

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Fwiw, I just got a second invitation only 10 days after registering for it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For those of you wondering why blocks of prefixes are shared, it's because these non-Bell companies actually lease the phone numbers in blocks from the former Bell companies (now mostly either at&t or Verizon in the latest round of consolidations) acting as CLECs (more on this later). This is the only remaining monopoly the Fed has been unable to break. This was done so the former Bell companies still work as the interconnects in routing calls. The result is Direct inward Dialing where a trunk is established between the switch relay system at the BellCos central switching office and the alternative service, such as Comcast's VoIP Digital Voice. For those dialing out, so that Caller ID still works to ID their lines, Direct outward Dialing occurs. Thus, many of the former BellCos are in business as CLECs, Central Local Exchange Carriers.
    I left NEXTEL because:
    1) Gary Forsee for single-handedly killing the mighty NEXTEL
    2) Paul Saleh for coughing up the money for Gary's BIG ideas of grandeur from the NEXTEL cash cow
    3) Timmy Donahue for taking his golden parachute and leaving post-merger when we needed him most
    4) Barry West for regressing iDEN backwards 10 years by killing 6:1 and WiDEN development
    5) Dan Hesse for practicing apathy over sympathy, then prolonging the pain

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Google Voice

Has anyone added there Google Voice # to the friends and family and get unlimited calling?...

Example. (After adding your cell to google voice, and adding your google voice # to your friends and family)

From your cell phone, Call you google Voice #, Hitting #2 to dial a telephone a #....

Technically all calls should now be Unlimited!! since your google voice is part of friends and family....

Device(s)
    LG Dare VX9700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    whoa... i never thought of that. this is true. i guess the new unlimited plan is nationwide 900 with friends and family and a google voice account

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast