Thread: Cell phone use in the UK

Feedback Score

Cell phone use in the UK

Any recommendations on using my Rogers cell phone for approx 2 weeks in the UK!! Thanks

Device(s)
    LG G6, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile, Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Ummm... with rates as they are... don't?
    Get an Orange phone, use their Camel price plan. 7p a minute to Canada and 15p a text.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Unlock your phone and get a local Sim, as stated you save a TON of money.
    2010 = Sony Ericsson x10a, iPhone 4 32GB
    >*<<*<*
    2009 = iPhone 3G (White), Blackberry 8900, HTC Dream, Blackberry 9000, Blackberry Bold 9700
    >*<<*<*
    2008 = Sony Ericsson w810i, Nokia N95-3, Nokia E71-2, Blackberry Bold
    >*<<*<*
    2007 = Nokia 5300, Nokia N73ME, Sony Ericsson W580i, Sony Ericsson K850i
    >*<<*<*
    2006 = Samsung A740, Samsung D600, Samsung D900, Samsung A900, Nokia 3220

Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score
    My Wife and I were in the UK late April/Early May. As the other posters recommend, get a local UK SIM card. We used T-Mobile in one phone and Orange in the other. The choice was based on what was best for our usage requirements.

UK prepaid SIMs for the major carriers can be purchased from a vending machine in London Heathrow. (Not sure but I presume Gatwick has the same service). The cost is ten pounds sterling, which is total time credit. There is no charge for the SIM itself. Rogers/Fido take note!!!

Alternatively, you can let your phone roam until you get to a carrier's store. The price is the same and again- no charge for the SIM. Prepaid SIMs can be topped up at a variety of UK stores using the swipe card enclosed in the SIM package.

Research the major UK carriers' websites for the best rates for your particular requirements.

A couple of hints/caveats. Obvoiusly your phone needs to be unlocked. If it is a typical N. American tri-band (850/1900 MHx & 1800 MHz, choose your carrier carefully. Some, such as Vodafone UK, use 900 MHz for prepaid. Obviously, a quad-band poses no problem. Also the "3" Network is 3G and only supports phones capable of operating on the UK 3G format.

Hope this helps.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1_Make sure your phone has 1800 and/or 900
    2_ Unlock your phone.
    3_ Get a Vodafone sim card.
    online.vodafone.co.uk
    20pence/min to UK
    5pence/min to Canada !!!
    50pence/day for 25megs of internet.

SIM is free :P

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    Feedback Score

Toronto

And it roams for free anywhere in the EU. So not a bad deal!

Quote Originally Posted by TilhasBB
    2_ Unlock your phone.
    online.vodafone.co.uk
    20pence/min to UK
    5pence/min to Canada !!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TilhasBB
    2_ Unlock your phone.
    online.vodafone.co.uk
    20pence/min to UK
    5pence/min to Canada !!!

Sim is free... sigh i can't believe Rogers retail is charging 40 bucks for them! I lol-ed at this girl that lost her phone and actually paid 40 for a replacement.
    Arr~

The Fastest and Most Reliable. Question-Mark?

Feedback Score
    I visit the UK a bit..to me I found T-Mobile to give the best perks and be the cheapest in terms of top-up. SIMs are free for all 5 carriers. With T-Mobile you can initially purchase a 5 pound top up card and right now I believe they give you free internet for the 1st 10 days and a few more perks. Also the if you're going to any other country in Europe Vodaphone has up until Aug 31st no roaming so you pay local rates. Also for all carriers there is no incoming call charge. So even if you have a 0 balance you can still receive calls. I have spare T-mobile unused SIM if interested I'll give it out for free :-)

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Orange has prepaid Blackberry service right? I'm going to Scotland from Aug 7 until September 5 and really need my Bold to up and running for school emails and such. Has anyone here done this?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G, X10
    Carrier(s)
    O2
    Feedback Score
    Both Orange and T-Mobile offer prepaid Blackberry services. I would go with Orange personally since their coverage is that wee bit better. Orange charge you £5 for a month's Blackberry usage, it just comes out of your top-up. Which part of Scotland?
    "I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." WSC

Best SE site on the net
    Best SE blog on the net

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsboyuk
    Both Orange and T-Mobile offer prepaid Blackberry services. I would go with Orange personally since their coverage is that wee bit better. Orange charge you £5 for a month's Blackberry usage, it just comes out of your top-up. Which part of Scotland?
    Glasgow...but here's my other big question. How to I temprorily shut of my Rogers BIS bso I can sign up on Orange UK's BIS for the 5 pound per month blackberry service...I will only be out there for a month and worry that if I call rogers to cancel my BIS, I'll lose my 6gigs of data since I won't be back before that promotion is over. Any help asap is greatly appreciated since I fly out tonight