Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Umm so is it normal for Apple to ship phones from China?

I finally got an email from Apple saying my order was shipped. Upon checking the tracking info, it said it departed SHENZHEN, CN. For some reason I though 'CN' was Connecticut until I copied that city into Google Maps. China?!? The past 2 orders I've made from Apple (first was a Macbook back in 2006 and second was an iMac, TimeMachine, and Printer in 2008) they all shipped from California. Directly shipping from China though?? I've never heard of that before. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Phone
    32GB iPhone 3G S - Current
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes. Things ship directly from the China factory all the time. Especially for things like iPhones that Apple can't keep in stock.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe most iPhone 3GS orders were shipped from China. Mine was too.

Feedback Score
    All new iPhones are made in China and since we are still early in the iPhone 3G S delivery cycle all iPhone 3G Ss are coming direct from China.

They are either in bulk shipments to Apple / AT&T retail, AT&T DF bulk shipments or direct to you the customer. They all fly together on the same planes for China via Hong Kong.

It really is just an optimized Supply Chain. Your iPhone 3G S is shipped direct to you to ensure "Freshness and Flavor".

Dave

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave006
    All new iPhones are made in China and since we are still early in the iPhone 3G S delivery cycle all iPhone 3G Ss are coming direct from China.

They are either in bulk shipments to Apple / AT&T retail, AT&T DF bulk shipments or direct to you the customer. They all fly together on the same planes for China via Hong Kong.

It really is just an optimized Supply Chain. Your iPhone 3G S is shipped direct to you to ensure "Freshness and Flavor".

Dave
    So I'm basically getting one straight off the factory line?

Feedback Score
    yes, that's because aapl has a big factory in china that manufacture these iphones.

Phone
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    most items in the us are made in china

mine too was shipped from china, no worries it's where they have their factory (and cheaper labor)

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjuiop
    So I'm basically getting one straight off the factory line?
    As opposed to getting one that is used?
    My Adblock plus gets it's biggest workout at HoFo... especially with .sig images.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave006

Dave
    That is what we call LEAN... Apple is now following the lean manufacturing practices to reduce waste... Toyota and Honda can show how this has helped them dominate the US market...

Phone
    iPhone 32GB 3GS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick.sp
    That is what we call LEAN... Apple is now following the lean manufacturing practices to reduce waste... Toyota and Honda can show how this has helped them dominate the US market...
    I think you meant to say JIT aka just in time manufacturing

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hansonc
    As opposed to getting one that is used?
    No. Vs shipping factory to AT&T or Apple store. Very interesting. I know everything is made in China now, but it just suprised me for some reason about this. It made it to Anchorage, AK so I guess that means it's through customs. I'd love if it got here today (Friday) but I'll still be impressed with FedEx if I get it Monday. Gotta love the $10 expedited shipping

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    OP, you haven't heard? There is a temporary embargo of all goods coming from China.

Just kidding..........
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Phone
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n3985
    I think you meant to say JIT aka just in time manufacturing
    Shipping straight from the factory is not JIT manufacturing. JIT refers to inventories of goods used to make the product, not inventories of the product itself. From Wikipedia: "In short, the just-in-time inventory system focus is having 'the right material, at the right time, at the right place, and in the exact amount', without the safety net of inventory."
    The left speaker is the only speaker. The right speaker is the microphone.

Phone
    iPhone 32GB 3GS
    Feedback Score
    I'm not going to argue the point lol, I was a finance major not ops.

Phone
    Nokia N82
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolfx35
    yes, that's because aapl has a big factory in china that manufacture these iphones.
    Whats the address of this factory?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast