Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rogers PAYG Scam!

Device(s)
    Unlocked BlackBerry Passport | Unlocked OnePlus One | Unlocked BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers | T-Mobile Prepaid | TruPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
    from what i remember (on a mtm plan) calling someone and them not answering, you wont be charged any minutes.
    Yes, that's correct but the thread is about prepaid.

With prepaid, Rogers charges for transfers to voice mail (i.e. the moment the caller gets the outgoing voice mail message, the recipient is charged 1 minute even if the caller hangs up without leaving a message) and Rogers also charges to retrieve the voice mail message (on prepaid) regardless of whether you use a cellphone for retrievals or a landline for retrievals.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: NETGEAR Nighthawk M1 Gigabit LTE Mobile Router MR1100

My Tech Blog

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kintamanate
    You do know that even on contract plans or month to month ones the minute starts when the ringing begins, and not when the other party picks up, right?
    I know that, but the billing does not gets triggered if there is no answer. Ringing itself is free, if not answered by voice mail or by the phone itself.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Carrier(s)
    Chat-r; PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand how 1 ring it would already be answered by voice mail, unless the phone issues a reject command (typically the hang up key) to the network. Usually it takes 4 rings or so.

Device(s)
    Unlocked BlackBerry Passport | Unlocked OnePlus One | Unlocked BlackBerry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo
    I don't understand how 1 ring it would already be answered by voice mail, unless the phone issues a reject command (typically the hang up key) to the network. Usually it takes 4 rings or so.
    A weak signal will/might also cause 1 ring to go directly to voice mail.

Also sometimes what the caller identifies as a ring or ringing does not necessarily mean that the phone actually rang.

I've called my cellphone when my cellphone was off and as the "caller" I would hear what I assumed was that the phone rang once and then went to voice mail.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyiesat
    I didnt knnow cell phone is a luxury in Canada.
    Welcome to Canada, where are you from?

Canadian wireless is the only technology industry I've ever seen where products and features are removed, or raised in price over time. Rather than adding services and features over time to remain competitive.

Device(s)
    BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom 39
    Feedback Score
    yea there's probably something wrong with the phone or you're in weak signal and you're getting dropped

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    90% of my calls are from a 450 areacode for a "fastfood delivery" with a 450 areacode. I have no idea why they are diverted to my number with a 514 areacode. If this "possible scam" is true, then I will most likely need to change my number! I am not currently on Rogers PAYG, but am considering it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyiesat
    You have got to be kidding me.

its like collecting a fee just to look at the menu in a restaurant!

I didnt knnow cell phone is a luxury in Canada.

is this just apply to rogers or every wireless companies in canada?
    I have a Telus Pay and talk account. I don't get charged for calls I don't answer (even if the phone rings many many times). I don't get charged when people leave voice mail. I don't get charged for checking VM if I do it using another phone.

I remember there have been some threads before where Telus prepaid customers also got dinged for unanswered calls and people leaving VM. It was just something wrong with their individual accounts. Maybe it's the same with yours. You could call CS and have them fix it.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71-2
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if Fido does the same: i.e. Charging calling time for PAYG if phone is not picked up & VM is active?

Thanks,
    Dave

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inmo
    Does anyone know if Fido does the same: i.e. Charging calling time for PAYG if phone is not picked up & VM is active?

Thanks,
    Dave
    It might be better if you posted your question in the Fido subforum where you might get answers from existing Fido prepaid users... or maybe search on the Fido subforum for the answer.

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink
    90% of my calls are from a 450 areacode for a "fastfood delivery" with a 450 areacode. I have no idea why they are diverted to my number with a 514 areacode. If this "possible scam" is true, then I will most likely need to change my number! I am not currently on Rogers PAYG, but am considering it.
    Could be a redirect number

Carrier(s)
    Fido, So-net, China Mobile HK,B-Mobile(Japan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inmo

Thanks,
    Dave
    not charged.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smoochysquirrel
    Could be a redirect number
    No, I did a search. I share the same phone numbers with an Orlando Takeout food delivery joint. Mine is areacode (514) and his is (450)! So much about an easy to remember set of numbers!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm on Rogers PAYG without VM and I don't get charged when someone calls me and I don't pick up.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8520
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As most of the other posters have stated; remove your voicemail to avoid the charge. The only other reason that you would be charged for an unanswered call would be if you hit the 'reject' or hang-up button on your handset when you receive a call (at least, that was the case when I was a CSR for PAYGO).

To the original poster:
    Call Rogers eCare @ 1-888-ROGERS1 and advise them that you cannot see your transactions, this normally happens when you get a 'recycled' number and it is still attached to an account in the Rogers.com back-end. Should take the CSR about a minute to fix for you.

After that is done, test the billing yourself - call your cellphone from another line and do not answer. If you hear your voicemail greeting that is the charge and it is correct. If you hear a message with a female voice stating 'the customer you are calling is not available' and you get charged; do this:
    -Write down the date, time and all other info that shows about the charge on Rogers.com Self-Service.
    -Call the PAYGO Customer Care Line 1-800-575-9090 and provide that information, request a credit for the lost airtime. If the CSR doesn't provide you can ask for a Manager or email the eCare PAYGO Team.

Some things to keep in mind:
    -Whenever your voicemail greeting begins to play, you are charged for airtime. If you absolutely have to have voicemail you should make your greeting as short as possible, and advise anyone who calls to leave brief messages. You are charged for each minute (rounded up) that someone is leaving you a voicemail message.
    -The charge might have been your monthly 9-1-1 Emergency Charge. Rogers charges this whether you've used 9-1-1 or not each month and pays it to the provincial (or federal, can't remember) government.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2