Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: might switch to Sprint, how is customer serv & which phone?

Feedback Score

might switch to Sprint, how is customer serv & which phone?

Want to try a carrier with a better selection of phones. My 3 lines are now out of contract w/ USCC.

I am not familiar with Sprint whatsoever so wanted to get input on their customer service, etc. We get a 20% service discount and any phones we want for free with our companies discount. So I could get their 1500 everything data plan for 3 lines for about $120 which is what i pay now for just voice and texting. It does cost $36 to activate and I'll have the 30 day trial period. In general how is their customer service? I normally only call uscc when we accidentally go over on mintues or roaming and USCC is very easy to deal with and usually work it out for $10 or $15 by back dating the plan, rather than $700 for accidentally using 1200 roaming minutes, ha ha..

Also, what is the best phone currently? I would like at least 1 iphone like device and another simple long battery life device and maybe the third one would be a pda device. For the trial period I'd may try the new palm Pre as it seems iphone like and has PDA functionality. Any input here?

thanks for any ideas..

Device(s)
    treo 700p
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If I were you I would try the Palm Pre, HTC Snap (smartphone), and Samsung Exclaim M550 (good for texting). All of them just came out this month. If you want a simple phone, try Sanyo Katana LX.
    bestincellphones.com is the Smarter Way to get Free Cell Phones. Learn about the latest deals at icellphonedeals.com

Discuss and compare cell phone plans you have with any wireless carrier.

Feedback Score

Ordered my Pre!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtreofan
    If I were you I would try the Palm Pre, HTC Snap (smartphone), and Samsung Exclaim M550 (good for texting). All of them just came out this month. If you want a simple phone, try Sanyo Katana LX.
    Great sugguestions, I'll check those last two. I just called and ordered the Pre and will have it in two days she said. She set me up on an everything data 450 for $55ish during the trial period. then if I decide to stay with them I'll order the other two phones and get the numbers ported and switch to a family data plan.

I'm so leary after using ATT and even USCC of all the strange charges and everything that pop up. She assured me with this plan all I have to watch is the 450 minutes. there are no buttons I can accidentally push and get charged like $15 for some strange game or something. we'll see..

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by area123
    Great sugguestions, I'll check those last two. I just called and ordered the Pre and will have it in two days she said. She set me up on an everything data 450 for $55ish during the trial period. then if I decide to stay with them I'll order the other two phones and get the numbers ported and switch to a family data plan.

I'm so leary after using ATT and even USCC of all the strange charges and everything that pop up. She assured me with this plan all I have to watch is the 450 minutes. there are no buttons I can accidentally push and get charged like $15 for some strange game or something. we'll see..
    There're always about three "are you sure?" prompts before I ever download anything.

Overall, Sprint is king if you're wanting to use data a lot. Customer Service is alright. Roaming is free, so don't worry about roaming charges. Just don't come to rely on roaming for more than 50% of your minutes or you'll be getting nasty letters from Sprint.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I had sprint for about 2 years (before evdo launched) and currently have at&t and sprint. Truthfully, I prefer sprint.

For your phone recommendations: I'm using a treo pro loaner, and even tho it's windows mobile, it's in my top 5 favorite phones of all time. It has excellent PDA features, imo. Skyfire (free) is a excellent browser add on, adding flash and "real" browser capabilities. It was made by HTC, and holds the Palm Treo monkier.

I also use a Pre, and it's good, tho it's in "baby stage" at the moment. There are quirks and issues, if you like to call them such. Battery life, new apps flowing down the pipe line. Check out the Pre subform for information on this. Palm is playing catchup in this market.

The Sanyo Katana series is great as well, And I can second the recommendation for the HTC Snap.

---

Sprints CS and TS has their moments, overall, you probably won't have a horrible experience, but they certainly aren't T-mobile's level of customer service. Well at least in my opinion.

There are a few tips and tricks you can add to your account, such as the Sprint Airave, if you have coverage issues indoors @ home, or @ work. Or the Pick3, letting you call any number on any network as much as you want. The cost varies from rep to rep, and I think this feature can only be added via retentions. But you can add it in your 30 day trial period. You can also have it on each of your lines, however, you can only change your numbers via customer service, and only once a month.
    Call Me Bubbles Dahhhlin... Everyone Does! ||

Device(s)
    Droid Charge
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Their Cs is __________________ fair at best, if you want to get the best deal, order it over the phone, talk to retentions tell them your situation, you can probably get the activation fee waived if you try somewhat. But yea the retentions is a very helpful line, the rest of CS is kind of a crapchute. Ive had Excellent reps and reps so horrible it made my eyes bleed. But overall the coverage and service i have been very happy with, and if you talk to retentions you can probably get some nicer perks than just talking to regular CS.
    Sprint was good to Me... Now time for VZW... its time i embarked on a new journey..

Device(s)
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    I also prefer Sprint over ATT (I have them both) mainly because I get 3G on Sprint almost anywhere I go in Florida.
    ATT on the other hand, has very spotty 3G coverage and its taking a redicilous amount of time to finish rolling it out.

I have a Treo Pro with Sprint and love it. Not really "iphone like" but it can do just about anything. Keyboard with touch screen, and as pointed out already 3rd party browsers like Skyfire bring the full web, including Hulu, to your phone. Something iPhone and Pre cannot do.

Customer service has gotten better (I had some serious problems with them in the past) but nothing like T-Mobile had. T-Mobile, IMO, has the best CS of them all.

Feedback Score
    I actually found out during my conversation that I am dealing with a company called True Wireless. She said she handles a few corporate accounts including my company so that I would be dealing with her for everything I wanted to add/change, etc. That makes me feel a little better but we'll see. She did say I can have any 3 phones I want for free including the Pre and she highly recommended I get the palm Pro to try, maybe as the 2nd line. The Pre may end up being my teenage son's phone and I'll get the pro for myself.

Oh, and thanks for all the tips. I'm going to ask her about adding some of the features mentioned here and test her out a little, we'll see...

Device(s)
    EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Everything Plus Family $109.99
    Feedback Score
    I rather enjoy Sprint. I don't really have to call in as much now. And I love the cheap "Everything" plans.
    How many phones do I really need?

Everything Plus Family 1600 - $109.99

Sprint SERO $30 - 500 mins, Unlim text, Pwr Vision, M2M, Unlim Pics, N&W @ 7pm, F&F mins and Unlim Data

Former cricKet - Unlimited Talk, Text, Pic, Video, LD, CID, VM, CW, 3way, Web and NECA - $45

Former T-Mobile as of 6/28/08
    Business 300 + Free Weekends + 100 text - $29.99
    Plus a 10% Business Discount!

Microsoft Certified Professional

Device(s)
    I95cl
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    true wireless offering you the pre for free? good luck with that one.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sprint customer service is okay as long as you don't have any intricate or anything above very basic issues. For instance, I use a Windows Mobile device and was having a lot of problems with freezing on the stock ROM and contacted HTC (my device manufacturer) who instructed me to flash THEIR version of the stock ROM, which resolved the issues. I spent four hours on the phone getting transferred between about 15 different departments before I finally found a rep that had a CLUE what I was talking about when I asked for the installer for Sprint Music.

If you have a simple issue like "You overbilled me for this.", "I need to add a line." or "I need to change my phone number." you'll be fine.

3G where I go with AT&T > GPRS where I go with T-Mobile and "4G" where I don't.

I'm your typical 21 year old gay guy, or as we prefer to be called "Family-wrecking AIDS-mongers" waging what I call "The Homo-Jihad" against Sprint. That's what they get for destroying Nextel.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As a new Sprint user (switched from AT&T for the Palm Pre) I've been very impressed. Visit a store and it's obvious from the reps (begging for "5" ratings on followup CS calls) that Sprint is making a major push in this area.

Customer Service: Excellent.
    Price of Plans: The Best.
    Phone to get: BlackBerry 8330 (or Tour when it's released later this summer).
    Phone Honorable Mention: Palm Pre. It's a work in progress, but it's beautiful and capable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acc6398
    true wireless offering you the pre for free? good luck with that one.
    Why do you say that? Have you dealt w/ True Wireless? I've been fairly happy with their service so far, but I've only dealt with the one lady. She says I can get any 3 phones I want free, even the palm pro and the htc phones. In fact I'm supposed to get my pre today.

Feedback Score

Block premium services to avoid surprises

You can block premium service purchases (e.g ringtones, etc) on Sprint's web site. You can also block premium SMS (which also unfortunately includes Google SMS) to avoid mysterious $10 charges. Normal SMS is not affected.

Premium SMS is the biggest problem - $10 for joke of the day, or weather, or some pseudo twitter feed. Hopefully you won't experience it. You'll rarely know how your number was exposed.

Sprint CS is very good about reversing the charges, but it's still time you probably don't want to spend.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    By far the best phone I've used in Sprint's lineup is the Touch Pro. Excellent interface, good keyboard (unlike the Pre), beautiful high resolution screen, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast