Thread: Question about merging 2 family share plans

Device(s)
    droid
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Question about merging 2 family share plans

Here is the situation, me and my wife are on our own family share plan, and the in-laws have there own also. My question is if I have my father-in-law do an assumption of liability on my two lines and have them added to his account, would I get charged an ETF (I'm one year into a two year contract on both lines)?

First, no preaching about trying to get out of an ETF, as that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just wondering if I would get charged with one or not. With a new baby in the house I'm just looking for ways save some on expenses, and it would be cheaper (on both me and the in-laws) if we put all 4 lines on one plan and split the bill down the middle.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope. You're not canceling service, just who has the billing responsibility, thus your contract is not being broken and there is no ETF.
    Verizon Wireless - More bars in more places on the now network.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

correct me if im wrong but the only change besides whats left over after all the bills are paid now is the contract end date. yours will change to theirs. congratulations on the new baby, i understand completly that its sooo much more than another mouth to feed for the next couple years then it gets REAL expensive. happy fathers day.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Device(s)
    Samsung SCHu350
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBikerMark
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

correct me if im wrong but the only change besides whats left over after all the bills are paid now is the contract end date. yours will change to theirs.
    But that's not the only change - they want to do away with a primary account in the process that still has a year to go under contract. A simple assumption of liability will just put both primary bills in the in-laws' hands, it won't turn the OP's primary account into a secondary. I really can't believe VZW will let go of that account/revenue a year early without the ETF!

Device(s)
    droid
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG~
    ....it won't turn the OP's primary account into a secondary. I really can't believe VZW will let go of that account/revenue a year early without the ETF!

This is what I was thinking, I know that the secondary line should not be a problem as it's going to bring in the same revenue for VZW no matter what family share plan that it is on. It's the primary line that I was more concerned about, that would be the money loser for VZW.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG~
    But .. they want to do away with a primary account in the process that still has a year to go under contract... I really can't believe VZW will let go of that account/revenue a year early without the ETF!
    Agreed, Mike.

Or looking at it another way, a family plan of, say $69.99 for two is really broken down as $60 for the first line and $9.99 for the second line (plus all the taxes and fees). Each additional line is $9.99. Don't see how they would allow the merger of two separate plans under contract into one.

trbasil; FWIW, I just went the other way and kicked my daughter and son-in-law off the family plan and told them to get their own. The difference was an increase of $22 per month for each of us from what we had been sharing. To me, it was worth the extra 22 bucks not to have to worry about overages (my daughter was the main minute burner), the son-in-law's 411 calls, occasional text messages that were supposed to be blocked, and feeling restricted in the use of MY cell so I wouldn't cause an overage. I'd suggest calculating the actual savings, and deciding for yourself, if you could merge plans, if it is really worth the potential friction among the users for overages and fair share payments.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The ETF is designed to recoup the cost the phone subsidy the carrier provides initially for starting service. That is why you receive the same pricing whether you are joining with a 450 minute plan or a 1350 minute plan. You can have the other family perform the AOL, then change your two lines into secondaries without any penalty. Your upgrade date will stay the same but it will apply a minimum contract length in the process of the reassign.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As a Verizon employee who does AOL's on a regular basis there is no ETF because your contract stays the same, it's just the name the bill goes to changes.

Verizon allows up to 5 lines on a Family Share plan (and usually with 5 lines, you don't have the smallest amount of minutes, or maybe you need a Select plan, and then don't forget only 1 person on the plan gets NE2... Don't worry, Verizon knows how to make it's revenue)

Device(s)
    droid
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply's everyone, it looks like this is the route that I will be going.

Lenagainster as far as your concern about minutes was one of the things that I thought about before ever posting this thread. But as me and my wife use around 20-40 billable minutes a month, the in-laws use about the same amount, it should not be a problem. Both her side of the family and mine all are on VZW, so most of our minutes are M2M. The most minutes that I've seen on a bill was 119 and that was when I spent almost two hours on the phone catching up with with a cousin (non-VZW) that I hadn't seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by *TexMex*
    ...Verizon allows up to 5 lines on a Family Share plan (and usually with 5 lines, you don't have the smallest amount of minutes, or maybe you need a Select plan, and then don't forget only 1 person on the plan gets NE2... Don't worry, Verizon knows how to make it's revenue)
    The minutes should not be a problem staying with a 700 minute plan, but we will probably step up from two basic plans with texting added ala-cart on all four lines, to one connect plan. So yeah Verizon will still be getting there money. But it will still offer a little cushion on the wallet for both my family and for the in-laws too.