Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 150

Thread: My iPhone 3G[S]: It really is very FAST!!!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,935
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryNY
    Hey different strokes for different folks. Most iPhone users love instantaneous response and the quicker 3gs is nice but if you are use to more sluggish interfaces like most of Nokia products it probably won't phase you too much. The iPhone was already one of the quicker GUI's out there to begin with the 3gs just pushes that lead. I disagree that it really only helps in games etc. It makes everything on the phone better. You don't think your Nokia would be much more enjoyable with nearly 2x's the CPU power and 2x's the RAM with the same or better battery life? This is especially important on a platform that doesn't let you run 3rd party apps, as you like to point out, in the background as you may need to quit and launch quit and relaunch the first app. Sure it isn't a solution for someone who really needs the ability to run 3rd party apps in the background but it sure helps.
    I don't know, honestly my e71 and n79 aren't sluggish. And I think users of most of the newer Nokia equipment feel the same. My e62 now, was pretty slow. They could use a bump in CPU power, but not for UI speed reasons, but more power for processor intensive tasks (web page rendering, internet radio playback, like video playback, but my n79 handles video pretty good, i just want more). Even still, the e71 and n79 are plenty fast at the tasks they do. In addition, the latest nokia devices have had a cpu speed bump though, so that should help.

    See, I don't think the ability to multitask is what slows a UI down, having too many of them open can and will, but with nothing or a few open, they are still pretty snappy, even my TILT is. The TILT is sluggish though sometimes for other reasons, mainly HTC's inability to properly deploy this platform, but the TILT has the RAM, and that's whats important. I mean my 8525 puts my TILT to shame at times (like typing in SMS, video drawing etc.), but the TILT puts the 8525 to shame for having more RAM.

    the beauty of being able to multitask, is that it is optional, and that's the key, because with that, you have all things.

    I am really considering the iphone 3gs, it has finally reached a point where I would really want it. The only issue for me, is that i'd have to pay 20 dollars more for internet that I already have :P Not that i can't pay it, it's just, is it worth 20 dollars a month extra to me, when I already have that connectivity and core functionality?.. very close I'm glad that my FAN account will still be useable though, nice.

    I think though, if I can use other devices on the iphone plan (mms, and internets) for sure, I would feel a lot more comfortable about it as I will switch back to my Tilt or E71/N79 when I want to.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 06-19-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:


    http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    862
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    the beauty of being able to multitask, is that it is optional, and that's the key, because with that, you have all things.
    I completely agree. All I want to be able to do is run something like iheart radio and be able to leave the application and reply to a txt message. That seems kinda off the wall for the app to close when all I'm doing is simply reading a message.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryNY
    The iPod works in the background with any app and automatically mutes with an incoming call and goes back to where you left off when the call finishes. Depending on implementation for TomTom's upcoming app it probably will behave similarly to what you already have with music. I didn't realize FM was required for a serious phone but with 16-32GB of built in storage you can have quite a bit of music on an iPhone so I can't see myself using FM but it depends what you want. You seem to indicate you think the iPod functionality of the iPhone can't be used with other things but it works in the background with almost any app, including games for the most part. And to repeat what I said above you can go to other apps while in call no problem. The iPhone multitasks fine but not with 3rd party stuff. The Phone and iPod apps do and Apple just figures that covers 90% of what people need.



    Hey different strokes for different folks. Most iPhone users love instantaneous response and the quicker 3gs is nice but if you are use to more sluggish interfaces like most of Nokia products it probably won't phase you too much. The iPhone was already one of the quicker GUI's out there to begin with the 3gs just pushes that lead. I disagree that it really only helps in games etc. It makes everything on the phone better. You don't think your Nokia would be much more enjoyable with nearly 2x's the CPU power and 2x's the RAM with the same or better battery life? This is especially important on a platform that doesn't let you run 3rd party apps, as you like to point out, in the background as you may need to quit and launch quit and relaunch the first app. Sure it isn't a solution for someone who really needs the ability to run 3rd party apps in the background but it sure helps.
    I could do without the "zippiy" GUI if that meant running background apps when needed. I do listen to the FM radio but not for music. I listen to talk radio all day long (its different in that you don't hear the same music over and over). Streaming radio on the ATT network is brutal if you are moving LOL.

    Battery life is not an issue at all when you can carry extra charged batteries. I sometimes replace the battery in the middle of the day. Thats a huge benefit to a multi tasking phone. I don;t find the N95 all that sluggish and I have played with the iPhone and iTouch and find it slick but thats pretty much where it began and ended for me...the GUI.... No SMS, No voice nav, no FM, must be locked to "itunes" to do anything, crappy camera, no video on and on made the iphone a non event for me.

    However the 3Gs had some promise,,,,..and for $300 its a good value for those who don;t have a lot of experience with a "sluggish" fully featured N series phone that never runs out of juice.
    SMART PHONE TEST
    ATT since before Cingular
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    GT-N7100


    Omega v7.2 JB - 4.1.2 XXDLJ2

    Kernel: XXDLJ2
    Modem: XXDLJ2

    64GB Sandisk class 6

    Ebay-Tombo7777
    Previous, N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, ATT Note SGH-i777 Sold $475 Note N7000 Sold $340

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii

    I am really considering the iphone 3gs, it has finally reached a point where I would really want it. The only issue for me, is that i'd have to pay 20 dollars more for internet that I already have :P Not that i can't pay it, it's just, is it worth 20 dollars a month extra to me, when I already have that connectivity and core functionality?.. very close I'm glad that my FAN account will still be useable though, nice.

    I think though, if I can use other devices on the iphone plan (mms, and internets) for sure, I would feel a lot more comfortable about it as I will switch back to my Tilt or E71/N79 when I want to.
    I was in the same boat.......still am N97/iPhone. I decided to buy a could Iphones sell one and use one for a week. If I mess my N95 I'll sell it and use the profits to buy an N97. Win Win.......

    I don't want to pay the extra "Apple tax" either for the same exact functionality. We'll see. When the"technoglow"wears off I will probably miss the more businesslike Nokia.

    I don;t have a standalone GPS, Music Player, snapshot camera.netbook, video camera, etc so my ohone has to do ALL of it exceptionally well not just passable....

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Setek


    I also switched from Verizon's Voyager. Decent phone, but only as a phone and text device... apps are terrible and expensive and the calender is useless.


    I am an iPhone/ATT guy now I guess!
    Im waiting for Verizon to go 4G so we can use SIM carded phones on that great network. Two years away.............I think a lot of ATT users will port to Verizon when the platforms are the same.....

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles area & PA/NJ, USA
    Posts
    17,403
    Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryNY
    True but you seem slightly ignorant of what the iPhone can do as well. What you describe the iPhone does right out of the box too. During a call you can hit the home button and go into apps like Google Maps to get an address switch over to an email and read it over to your buddy who is on the other end of the line. The phone app multitasks quite well with these kinda of apps. There is this misunderstanding among other smartphone users who think the iPhone doesn't do any of that but the Phone App in the iPhone is designed to be escaped during a call to enter other apps to get useful info. I'm not singling you out here it just seems to be repeated enough that people get misled.
    Yeah i've seen that. What i meant was that i needed to toggle between these apps a few different times, rather than starting from scratch each time.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|


    | My HoFo Feedback |

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,921
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry guys, I havent read all of the previous 66 posts. Is the 3GS much faster than the 3G in browsing? Another poster in another thread mentioned that there wasn't much difference between the 3G and 3GS.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On The Porch
    Posts
    2,777
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    I don't know, honestly my e71 and n79 aren't sluggish. And I think users of most of the newer Nokia equipment feel the same. My e62 now, was pretty slow. They could use a bump in CPU power, but not for UI speed reasons, but more power for processor intensive tasks (web page rendering, internet radio playback, like video playback, but my n79 handles video pretty good, i just want more). Even still, the e71 and n79 are plenty fast at the tasks they do. In addition, the latest nokia devices have had a cpu speed bump though, so that should help.

    See, I don't think the ability to multitask is what slows a UI down, having too many of them open can and will, but with nothing or a few open, they are still pretty snappy, even my TILT is. The TILT is sluggish though sometimes for other reasons, mainly HTC's inability to properly deploy this platform, but the TILT has the RAM, and that's whats important. I mean my 8525 puts my TILT to shame at times (like typing in SMS, video drawing etc.), but the TILT puts the 8525 to shame for having more RAM.

    the beauty of being able to multitask, is that it is optional, and that's the key, because with that, you have all things.

    I am really considering the iphone 3gs, it has finally reached a point where I would really want it. The only issue for me, is that i'd have to pay 20 dollars more for internet that I already have :P Not that i can't pay it, it's just, is it worth 20 dollars a month extra to me, when I already have that connectivity and core functionality?.. very close I'm glad that my FAN account will still be useable though, nice.

    I think though, if I can use other devices on the iphone plan (mms, and internets) for sure, I would feel a lot more comfortable about it as I will switch back to my Tilt or E71/N79 when I want to.
    Multi-tasking is over-rated. Besides, you spew all this BS about how you need it, can't live without it, yet you come in here knowing full well that the iPhone isn't a true multi-tasking device. Seems to me you're head is up your arse.

    The 3Gs has finally reached a point where you would really want it? That's too bad because it doesn't have multi-tasking, which seems to be you're number one priority.

    Stick to the E71 and N79. Out-dated OS, tiny little screens, but with MT.
    oh yea, here ya go....


  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles area & PA/NJ, USA
    Posts
    17,403
    Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    i thought this was funny considering my earlier post. i listen to opie and anthony on sirius xm, and the host anthony JUST posted the following on his twitter today:

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCumia
    Yikes. The Sirius/XM app doesn't play in the background? That needs fixin. You go to answer a text and it stops playing. WTF.
    which he then got a bunch of "throw your iphone in the pool" replies. and his follow up twitter:

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCumia
    Thanks to everyone who told me I should throw my iPhone in the pool. Yes, the iPhone doesn't multitask. That's what I think should be fixed.


    now this is an idiot non-tech saavy radio host! and his situation is VERY typical, he wants to play his satellite radio app and then reply to a text message. if anyone cant even see this in its simplicity, by a real world example from a real user who has no clue of "apple fan boyism", then you are just plain in denial. the proof is right here in this guys twitter. see his twitter for yourself.

    http://twitter.com/anthonycumia

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,011
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777
    Sorry guys, I havent read all of the previous 66 posts. Is the 3GS much faster than the 3G in browsing? Another poster in another thread mentioned that there wasn't much difference between the 3G and 3GS.
    Not sure what the poster said exactly. I do know that for the first time I am enjoying the Internet on the iPhone. It has always been a slow & painful process. When Apple fixed the crashing in 2.1 it got bearable. With the 3G S pages are visible in a couple of seconds. I'm using the same wifi I used with the 3G it took ages.

    So far the speed of Safari alone has made it worth the upgrade.

    Now to all those complaining about multi-tasking. Here's the thing some
    need it some don't. So those of you that say it's not needed look at it logically.
    Not everyone needs a calendar app, or an ipod, or a stocks app. With your I don't need it so don't add it additude Apple should remove every app that isn't needed by everyone. The only thing that would be left is a phone.
    Those of you that hope to have multi-tasking I feel your pain & hope Apple gives it to us. I hate being on the net & can't reply to a SMS without closing safari. That is the simplest form of multi-tasking there is.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,769
    Device(s)
    HTC Trophy w/Mango
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RYOBI
    Multi-tasking is over-rated. Besides, you spew all this BS about how you need it, can't live without it, yet you come in here knowing full well that the iPhone isn't a true multi-tasking device. Seems to me you're head is up your arse.

    The 3Gs has finally reached a point where you would really want it? That's too bad because it doesn't have multi-tasking, which seems to be you're number one priority.

    Stick to the E71 and N79. Out-dated OS, tiny little screens, but with MT.
    oh yea, here ya go....


    You sound angry like SR, but at least he supports himself with hard evidence and personal expirience. . .

    To each his own. In my opinion, and many others, for it to be a Smartphone, it needs multitasking capabilities at the very least. The iPhone CAN multitask. . . but you must jailbreak it to do it? That's thanks to Apple not wanting to make it so peoples iPhones won't last through the day. . .
    AT&T Sim in my Dell Precision with an HSPA 7.2 card. . . . And my Comcast. . .


  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Detroit area
    Posts
    2,141
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Been playing with 3GS all day - since I got it at 10am.... Totally was useless at work all day since I just couldn't put the 3GS down... BLAZING fast compared with my 1st gen (2G) iPhone (RIP).... Glad I skipped the 3G, since the difference may not have seemed that great... I'm even amazed with the compass/gps combo in gmaps... Actually useful in that it tells you extactly which you are pointing when looking at the map... Will be so useful when traveling...

    the UI is FAST, the video is FAST, the camera is FAST, the downloads are FAST... 3G or Wi-Fi... S for SPEED is right!! lol

    > Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

    -> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

    --> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

    ---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

    ----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

    -----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

    ------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

    -------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,665
    Device(s)
    Droid Razr Maxx, iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I realized the 3GS was quick right after getting it, but I just played a little Tiger Woods PGS Tour on the 3GS for the first time a few minutes ago.

    All I can say is WOW, there is no longer a delay waiting for each hole to load, it is all pretty much instant.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On The Porch
    Posts
    2,777
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I notice all the nokia fan boys in here posting about the no multi-tasking thing on the iPhone. That's fact one. Fact two, the iPhone is classified as a smartphone, regardless of what you think. Fact number three, I see some drool coming down your chin because you really want the iPhone, but don't want to let your friends know about it.

    And lastly, our final fact. Opie and Anthony on sirius xm are a couple of low-level meatheads.

    Oh, I gotta be able to listen to music while I browse the web, get texts from mom and talk with my friend girl on aim. Oh yea, all while I drive down the road watching the GPS on my phone, get my email and twitter. How lame....

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,935
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RYOBI
    Multi-tasking is over-rated. Besides, you spew all this BS about how you need it, can't live without it, yet you come in here knowing full well that the iPhone isn't a true multi-tasking device. Seems to me you're head is up your arse.

    The 3Gs has finally reached a point where you would really want it? That's too bad because it doesn't have multi-tasking, which seems to be you're number one priority.

    Stick to the E71 and N79. Out-dated OS, tiny little screens, but with MT.
    oh yea, here ya go....

    Quote Originally Posted by RYOBI
    I notice all the nokia fan boys in here posting about the no multi-tasking thing on the iPhone. That's fact one. Fact two, the iPhone is classified as a smartphone, regardless of what you think. Fact number three, I see some drool coming down your chin because you really want the iPhone, but don't want to let your friends know about it.

    And lastly, our final fact. Opie and Anthony on sirius xm are a couple of low-level meatheads.

    Oh, I gotta be able to listen to music while I browse the web, get texts from mom and talk with my friend girl on aim. Oh yea, all while I drive down the road watching the GPS on my phone, get my email and twitter. How lame....
    If anyone's head is up their ***, it's yours. You're acting like a child, full of ignorance, hate, like your ego is damaged and you're trying to make up for it, and it's quite amusing. You aren't proving anything, but your own childish ego. It's hilarious.

    Even funnier, you call us fanboys, when we do like the iphone, and are glad to see the improvements, as well as liking other platforms, yet you are defending the iphone and putting down other platforms, like a fanboy lol. While at the same time being all angry and childish about it lol. You really are entertaining.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 06-20-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks