Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New smart phones coming out will require 2 year data plan

Device(s)
    Samsung Jack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

New smart phones coming out will require 2 year data plan

Just got off the phone with T-Mobile to ask when the Dash 3G will come out (she "didn't know" even though it's widely thought to be July 1). She then mentioned that from now on the T-Mobile data-capable phones will require a data plan for the entire length of the contract.

This is one of the small things that always separated T-Mobile from the pack for me. It was easy to change plans, and they didn't force you to have anything. This is a game changer in my opinion.

As someone who is constantly in WiFi range, I don't feel the need to pay $30+ a month for a couple emails. The rest of their service is still cheaper than the competitors, but why is cellular service constantly going up in cost rather than coming down?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Pay full MSRP for smartphones and you can avoid the $25/$35 add-on

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    Pay full MSRP for smartphones and you can avoid the $25/$35 add-on
    Still have a branded phone though.

I rather go the unbranded route (only 2 for now though).
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Device(s)
    Sidekick LX 09/2008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is requiring a data plan for all in one devices with the exception of the blackberry pearl, blackberry pearl flip, t-mobile shadow, samsung behold and samsung memoir. This is to be contracted to the line which orders the device and may be replaced by a comperable data feature for a different device type but cannot be removed untill the contractual obligation is completed. This was done in an effort to raise ARPU by raising DARPU. T-Mobile is turning into a retarded version of AT&T imo.

Device(s)
    Sidekick LX 09/2008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by equin0xx
    Just got off the phone with T-Mobile to ask when the Dash 3G will come out (she "didn't know" even though it's widely thought to be July 1). She then mentioned that from now on the T-Mobile data-capable phones will require a data plan for the entire length of the contract.

This is one of the small things that always separated T-Mobile from the pack for me. It was easy to change plans, and they didn't force you to have anything. This is a game changer in my opinion.

As someone who is constantly in WiFi range, I don't feel the need to pay $30+ a month for a couple emails. The rest of their service is still cheaper than the competitors, but why is cellular service constantly going up in cost rather than coming down?
    T-Mobile does not pre-announce products or service launch dates unless they have a pre-sale or public launch associated with them. You might as well be asking for the price of the Dash 3g and when the second coming of christ is. (I'm athiest btw lol). She doesnt know cuz t-mo doesnt tell her....but it does bahaha there is a streamline article titled upcoming handsets which gives an approximation on the launch date, features, retail availibility, cihu availibility, exchange program availibility, etc....best reference ive found is actually tmonews.com....but that's just my opinion lol...

All In one devices purchased with a discount will have this contracted even if use of that phone is discontinued.

They are not forcing you, you could always choose a non-all in one device.
    You do also have the option of purchasing the device at full MSRP.
    Why would service cost decrease? It isn't a non-profit group.
    Services, Research, Development, Implementation, mostly american customer service, etc. all have significant and increasing costs

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    um it should go down to keep the customers they already have, I am going on 5 years and am now paying $50 more a month then when I started, so I have to say you are so wrong, sorry but thats the facts take it or leave it..

Oh and before I get it from anyone who has been with them longer, I started with Omni point prepay, right on through voicestream, and now t-mobile, so have been with them way longer then 5 years, but 5 years with just t-mobile..

Sorry but paying more and they are so slow to update anything, just now got 3g in NH and it only works when it wants to, yet I have to pay for a data plan on the behold that I dont use.. very sad indeed..
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Device(s)
    Sidekick LX 09/2008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1) the behold does not have the data plan contracted, nor does the memoir, shadow or blackberry pearl/flip. U probably did this for a rebate

2)if u don't like it, go to verizon or at&t...o wait, they require a data plan for data devices too

3)if u are gonna use only the basic phone features, buy a basic phone

I might seem like an a-ss, but its ok. I am one. Im tired of people acting like they deserve something special just because they choose to stay with a company. Maybe shell should give me a free lexus and a discount on gas since I have used them as my convienance store and gas station for years lol....hmm, seems kinda rediculous when I say it bahaha

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fmontoy2
    1) the behold does not have the data plan contracted, nor does the memoir, shadow or blackberry pearl/flip. U probably did this for a rebate

2)if u don't like it, go to verizon or at&t...o wait, they require a data plan for data devices too

1. True but both the T919/T929 require smartphone (all-in-one) data plan if you want to use it. AT&T doesn't require its PDA data plan for the Eternity, which is the same phone as the T919 minus the camera.

2. AT&T doesn't require data plan on any smartphone except the iPhone for the length of the contract. You can even cancel the iPhone data plan if you don't use the iPhone any longer. Stop spreading FUD if you don't know what the F*CK are you talking about.

3. That's the most stupid thing I ever heard.

And yes you are an a$$.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

I might seem like an a-ss, but its ok. I am one. Im tired of people acting like they deserve something special just because they choose to stay with a company. Maybe shell should give me a free lexus and a discount on gas since I have used them as my convienance store and gas station for years lol....hmm, seems kinda rediculous when I say it bahaha

No FYI I didnt get any rebate on the phone, paid $300 for it from T-mobile and was made to get the $25.00 data plan, as for #2 I dont care who else makes you get and use a data plan, the point in T-mobile is so far behind in times they are now charging more for customers who have been with them so that they can play catch up, so your point is really not an issue sorry..

As for #3 lol well thats all I can say to that one, but thanks for the input!!!

Device(s)
    Sidekick LX 09/2008
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bachviet
    1. True but both the T919/T929 require smartphone (all-in-one) data plan if you want to use it. AT&T doesn't require its PDA data plan for the Eternity, which is the same phone as the T919 minus the camera.

2. AT&T doesn't require data plan on any smartphone except the iPhone for the length of the contract. You can even cancel the iPhone data plan if you don't use the iPhone any longer. Stop spreading FUD if you don't know what the F*CK are you talking about.

3. That's the most stupid thing I ever heard.

And yes you are an a$$.

Interesting considering that from at&t's t&c's http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp it is stated:

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices including iPhone and other designated Smartphones and PDA's. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. Use of iPhone 3G to access corporate email, company intranet sites, and/or other business applications requires an Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone. For applicable rates, terms and conditions, see AT&T Business Plans for iPhone 3G brochure.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting considering that from at&t's t&c's http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp it is stated:

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices including iPhone and other designated Smartphones and PDA's. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. Use of iPhone 3G to access corporate email, company intranet sites, and/or other business applications requires an Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone. For applicable rates, terms and conditions, see AT&T Business Plans for iPhone 3G brochure.
    Of course it says that since it applies to the iPhones and iPhones only. There is no mandatory data requirement for any other AT&T smartphone.

Device(s)
    Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if u don't like it, go to verizon or at&t...o wait, they require a data plan for data devices too
    ...and the US mobile phone cartel rolls on.

I'll never purchase a phone through a carrier again. Unlocked, unbranded only.

Feedback Score
    Can someone paste a link to the T & C's that state a Data plan is required?
    I have searched and searched on My T-Mobile.com and when I go to upgrade my phone to a Dash 3G, I have to check a box stating I have read and agreed to the T&C's. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT POPPING UP TO MAKE ME SELECT A DATA PLAN. Furthermore, the only version of the T&C's I can find is provided via a link at the bottom of that page. Dated June 28, 2008. Nowhere in there does it state a data plan is required.......I've read it three times so far.
    It really is looking like "requiring a data plan" is just a marketing "policy" rather than a "Contracted Requirement"......especially if I could call in/visit a retail outlet and purchase a Dash 3G outright, and NOT be required to have a plan.......or upgrade online and NOT need one either.

One of the problems with their data set-up is that they need to allow a data connection to every phone, at least for MMS purposes. They can block ports, etc, but they cannot disconnect you entirely. I really think they are just trying to suck you in.....

Device(s)
    Amaze
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cool

Sadly, they are even blocking MMS's on certain phones. If you have a G1 and do not have a data plan, you get no MMS's. Its a rip off...It shouldnt matter if I am using the phone and all of its features in its entirety, that is my money and should be my choice.
    gadget geek

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCharmedOne
    um it should go down to keep the customers they already have, I am going on 5 years and am now paying $50 more a month then when I started, so I have to say you are so wrong, sorry but thats the facts take it or leave it..
    I wish I could live by that philosophy on almost everything I purchase or use. I'm going on my 3rd Porsche, I wish I could walk into the dealership, let them see my past 2 purchases with them, and demand the MSRP should be lower then my first one 7 years ago. Or, maybe I should say to my power company, I've been with you for 8 years now, and demand my cost per kWh should decrease

I know it sucks, but seriously, you have to pay to play. As long as tmo knows verizon and att are profiting more off of data users, they will stay competitive in pricing terms to make up for the lost potential revenue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast