Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New smart phones coming out will require 2 year data plan

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fmontoy2
    T-Mobile is requiring a data plan for all in one devices with the exception of the blackberry pearl, blackberry pearl flip, t-mobile shadow, samsung behold and samsung memoir. This is to be contracted to the line which orders the device and may be replaced by a comperable data feature for a different device type but cannot be removed untill the contractual obligation is completed. This was done in an effort to raise ARPU by raising DARPU. T-Mobile is turning into a retarded version of AT&T imo.
    Is it really contracted? I mean if you lose your G1 and switch to a basic phone do you still have to pay for the data? Or is it like the iPhone and AT&T where as long as you use the iPhone you have to have the iPhone data plan. If you purchase an iPhone and then switch to a different phone you no longer have to pay for the iPhone data plan though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terhett
    Is it really contracted? I mean if you lose your G1 and switch to a basic phone do you still have to pay for the data? Or is it like the iPhone and AT&T where as long as you use the iPhone you have to have the iPhone data plan. If you purchase an iPhone and then switch to a different phone you no longer have to pay for the iPhone data plan though.
    I believe this was already mentioned, but if not, if you go from a smartphone that requires a data plan to a phone first phone, you will not be forced to keep the 24.99/34.99 plan, but you will be required to have at least the 14.99 unl msg plan. That holds true even if you have the family msg bundle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy78
    I believe this was already mentioned, but if not, if you go from a smartphone that requires a data plan to a phone first phone, you will not be forced to keep the 24.99/34.99 plan, but you will be required to have at least the 14.99 unl msg plan. That holds true even if you have the family msg bundle.
    I was also told by 2 different TMO reps that you are released from your data plan obligation if you do an online MyT-mobile phone change to a non-smartphone (eg., RAZR), and to verify this by getting a copy of their Data Service Policy from a store. I did, and the DSP states just that.
    Are you saying that even if we have the family msg bundle that TMO will also charge the 14.99 unl msg plan on each line that got a smartphone, even if it is subsequently swapped to a non-smartphone? That doesn't seem right, as it would be a redundant service, and is in conclict with their DSP.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the family time msg doesn't count even though it's more then 14.99. It sucks but those are the rules. This new policy is really confusing so you could have a good chance of running into a rep who doesn't know the policy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2