Thread: Need Help or Advice, Service is just HORRIBLE where i live! what to do?

Feedback Score

Need Help or Advice, Service is just HORRIBLE where i live! what to do?

Ok, so to try and cut things short. Me and My GF are on a family plan with T-Mo. She has been a Tmo customer for about 4-5 years now. Just recently she put me on her family plan.

Anyways, the area we live in is a pretty busy area, We live right off the main street. The problem is inside are home, service is HORRIBLE! and i mean 1 bar, 10-20 drop calls a day horrible!

If you make a call or are receiving a call we have to walk outside, bottom line. I do not know how many times i have been on a important call to where i NEEDED to be inside and the call dropped and i lost it all!

I currently have a BB 8900 and she has a Behold. We have called T-Mobile 10 times. At first talking very polite and calm about the issue and near the last couple calls, just completely going off in a rage!

My friend has ATT service and on top of that, uses some cheap Motorola he bought at walmart for 18.00 ( yes 18.00!!!) he walks in and could go in ANY room and have FULL bars and not one dropped call!!! Not 1!

Where if me or the wife call anywhere in are house, we have 1 bar! and the call wont go past 2 minutes without dropping.

This is where i think its not really my building having the issues, i think its the service? if it were my building, wouldnt he be dropping calls also?

Tmo will do NOTHING for us in this matter, a 5 yr customer and they wont help with ETF fee or offer maybe free @home service or nothing! I have to use my BB WiFi in order to place important calls INSIDE or else thats it!

We want to switch to ATT but really cannot see paying them 200+200 for ETF. They tell us that since it shows we have 3 bars there is nothing they can do, I call BS because as i stand here i see 1 bar? Where are they seeing 3 bars?

We have spoke to supervisors and STILL nothing, all they offered us was a free nokia phone that has wifi so that i can use wireless to make calls, though this still uses my mins? and i am still paying to use there cell towers but yet they want me to use wireless?

Does anyone have any advice at all?

are only resort is to sell are phones ( both can get 200.00 for easily ) and take that and pay the ETF, but i really do not want to go that route.

are contract has another yr we can no longer take this anymore. I asked if they had a way to see how many dropped calls we had and they said NO all we see is like 1 minute conversations. Then a supervisor tells us that in the contract it states that they do NOT guantee anything.

a 5yr customer at 160.00 a month!!! come on!!!

It started happening due to the area we live in, though i am sure its the building AND the area, but as i said, my friend with ATT and his 18.00 phone, can make calls anywhere in are house.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Did it just go bad all of a sudden???, also you have an 8900 do you have wifi in your house?, try and connect your wifi network, you should have full bars right away if you do
    My opinions and statements do not reflect the policies or stance of T-Mobile

T-Mobile, RSR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maf2k8

This is where i think its not really my building having the issues, i think its the service? if it were my building, wouldnt he be dropping calls also?
    No, not really. AT&T has their own equipment and they just cover your neighborhood better than T-Mobile.

If you don't want to pay the ETF, as dalin suggested, setup your Hotspot @ Home service and you can make all the calls you want on your BB 8900 inside the house. If you get a cheap Hotspot @ Home for your wife, she can easily make and receive calls while at home and switch her SIM card into her Behold for when she goes out.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 - rooted, running Complete Eclair
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With your 8900 being UMA-capable, just make the permanent switch to making calls via Wi-Fi while at home. Then GSM signal strength and dropped calls is not an issue. You don't need the [email protected] add-on to make UMA calls; [email protected] just gives you unlimited UMA minutes. Yours seems like the perfect case to make UMA the solution.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Also, no carrier guarantees coverage in a building.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    You didn't mention your location, but ATT is probably 850mhz where you live and that's why it works better indoors than T on 1900mhz. The best advice I can give you is to invest in a personal repeater rather than paying the termination fee. The CS rep was probably getting the 3 bars claim because she pulled up the coverage map online and your address was in the "Good" zone.

These claims on the street-level coverage maps are completely inaccurate as the same situation is true for ATT where I live, both inside and outside! They do it based on "ideal" (favorable) conditions, like the Mojave Desert and don't take into consideration things like trees, buildings, or bodies of water so it would appear that the signal travels quite a far distance when indeed it does not.

Device(s)
    G1 with Kingklick's Eclair 2.1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Family Plan
    Feedback Score
    I would definitely take the free Nokia for your wife, and use wifi on your blackberry when at home.

I use UMA all the time in my house, and make regular cell calls when away, and it works well. You are lucky, you already have a UMA enabled phone. I had a single line, and a G1, which doesn't have UMA, so I had to sign up for a family plan so I wouldn't have to swap my sim card all the time. (The family plan was much more expensive than I was paying). I guess your GF will have the same sim swapping thing though, unless she uses your phone while at home. At any rate, if you accept the free Nokia, you will at least have a spare phone in case you ever need it, and Nokias have much better reception than Samsung, at least in my experience.
    Last edited by kathi17; 06-12-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
    My son is my T-Mobile man!

Feedback Score

Exclamation UMAUFTSP SOC for free Unlimited HotSpot Calling

You don't need the [email protected] add-on to make UMA calls; [email protected] just gives you unlimited UMA minutes.
    UMAUFTSP SOC is a free add-on for Unlimited HotSpot Calling (@Home Wi-Fi) which you could use with your BlackBerry. I would suggest you get your gal a secondhand BlackBerry that has UMA. The BlackBerry's web browser can join hotspots that require authentication, unlike the rest of the UMA phones that T-Mobile offers.

You should join the @Home sub-thread for further help.

Device(s)
    Iphone 8 Plus (AT&T), 6S (Vz)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiga
    UMAUFTSP SOC is a free add-on for Unlimited HotSpot Calling (@Home Wi-Fi) which you could use with your BlackBerry. I would suggest you get your gal a secondhand BlackBerry that has UMA. The BlackBerry's web browser can join hotspots that require authentication, unlike the rest of the UMA phones that T-Mobile offers.

You should join the @Home sub-thread for further help.
    Wait, if i have a UMA capable phone and request to have UMAUFTSP added to my account then I all of a sudden can make unlimited UMA calls and not pay anything extra per month?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi
    Wait, if i have a UMA capable phone and request to have UMAUFTSP added to my account then I all of a sudden can make unlimited UMA calls and not pay anything extra per month?
    Yes. But it's somewhat hard to get - you've got to find the right rep. (as usual)
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Device(s)
    Iphone 8 Plus (AT&T), 6S (Vz)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexTel32708
    Yes. But it's somewhat hard to get - you've got to find the right rep. (as usual)
    Thanks for this. I'll give it a try when the touchpro2 comes out and I try to upgrade then.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maf2k8
    The problem is inside are home, service is HORRIBLE! and i mean 1 bar, 10-20 drop calls a day horrible!

If you make a call or are receiving a call we have to walk outside, bottom line.
    You're lucky, I can't walk outside, my phone gets 0 to 2 bars inside my house and fluctuates constantly but it does no better until I get a couple of blocks away, I live in a dead zone not 1/2 mile from a T-Mo tower!

There's a VERY simple fix for you, buy a wireless router for your computer. Decent ones can be had around $25 or so and you can use the WiFi connection, it works perfectly on my BB 8220 and should for your BB 8900 and for GF's phone if it has WiFi.

Almost any wireless router will cover you entire house.
    It's me again...