Thread: 95% satisfied!

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

95% satisfied!

So I've officially been with T-Mobile for about two days now, and I'm rather pleased. The coverage isn't nearly as good as AT&T's. There's only two places I completely lose signal, and that's at my church, in Arden Hills, MN (the coverage map says I should get an excellent signal, we'll find out this Sunday if that was a fluke) and at my friend's house in St. Paul (but his house blocks out AT&T's signal too. I'm sure it's the house, because outside I'd get a great AT&T signal). Either way, that's fine by me, because I don't spend that much time at the church compared to the rest of the week, and I'll have WiFi/UMA at my friend's. Furthermore, UMA on my campus will enable me to be able to get phone calls in the basement of our student center (believe it or not, there's a big hang-out there with a full-service grill and Freshëns and everything) and WiFi to pull data when I'm in the TV studio (where GSM radio silence is required).

But enough about coverage and UMA (which are HUGE benefits): the customer service alone was worth it. T-Mobile isn't the cheapest carrier out there, but the additional monthly fee is the I-Don't-Have-To-Deal-With-An-Idiot insurance. We went in to the store with our Amazon-purchased phones, ported our AT&T numbers, added UMA and texting in about an hour. Then we bought my brother a prepaid phone (he uses phones so infrequently that he'll probably use <$3/mo worth of prepaid minutes, no joke!), set it up, and even helped my mom program reminders to top up his account on her phone. The entire time, the agent was focused on us, never ignored us, and was very friendly.

One thing we overheard while waiting for an agent (the store was busy, and every one of the little customer service stations had a someone working on it with another customer, so they weren't understaffed or anything) was a customer returning a loaner phone. Something unheard of during our years with AT&T!

The only thing that disappointed me was that when my phone number was ported to my BlackBerry, the customer service agent didn't re-enable my BIS service! This meant that for once, Twitter was more reliable than e-mail! My assumption was (initially) that it was a brief hiccup in the porting process, but when I called and asked about it, I found out what happened. The person on the phone, however, was very nice and helpful, and had the problem fixed within about 20 minutes of ending the call. That right there was the only thing I was unhappy about, because removing data services from my phone would have constituted a violation of terms with Amazon on my phone purchase, and would have resulted in up to a $200 fee.

Since then, the only problem we've had is UMA unreliability, but I've managed to isolate that as being the router, a cheap piece of junk I picked up for my sister when she bought her laptop (at that point, the only things that would use it would be the family PC, her laptop, the Wii, and my laptop, but I was going to school out of state). Now we've got three laptops, a WiFi enabled desktop, the family desktop, the Wii, and four phones all vying for network access. I'm having to reset it almost semi-weekly now.

Still, other than that, I'm very pleased with our choice to switch networks.

As always, with all advice: Your Milage May Vary.
    Post 100!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I've been with T-Mobile since 2000. I am very happy with them! Their coverage quality is great (when it's available - which is most of the time). Customer service is second-to-none in the cellular phone industry. Their phones are alright - but it is GSM and you can use an unlocked phone. Oh yeah, I love the [email protected]/UMA services they offer - great coverage enhancer!!
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!