Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Misc. Pre News and Tips

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=1387

Evernote for Palm Pre now available

Posted by Matthew Miller @ 5:00 pm

I have mentioned my love of the Evernote client and service for a couple of years and was caught way off guard when I went into the Palm WebOS App Catalog just a few moments ago and saw they already launched a client for the Pre. I LOVE this application and have to say that having this on the Pre just moved my “keeper meter” a bit farther to the right and applications such as this may drive me to permanently add the Pre to my mobile device collection.

Evernote for the Palm Pre looks to be quite functional too with support for text notes and image capturing. To conduct a search of your notes (you won’t see a visible search box on the display) you simply start entering text with the keyboard and a search box will appear as notes are dynamically filtered at the same time. There is not support yet for file uploads or voice notes, but we may see this in a future update. I am also not sure about offline note access yet as I just get started with the application.

I also saw that SplashID (an electronic wallet application) is now available in the Palm App Catalog and am trying this out now.
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.mediapost.com/publication...art_aid=107797

Sprint Drags Palm Pre Social Across MSN, YouTube, Facebook

by Laurie Sullivan, 9 hours ago
    Sprint this week will unveil pieces of Palm Pre's ad campaign that collide real with virtual social worlds. The launch takes place on Google's YouTube Wednesday, according to Sprint's Candice Wolken, and on Microsoft's MSN properties Friday.

Palm Pre brings Sprint's "now network" from the carrier's Now Network Campaign into the device. Wolken, who is online marketing manager at Sprint, says it ties into the carrier's ideology of real-time information delivered by features in the physical world. The phone runs on the new Palm OS operating system, which allows consumers to open and update multiple applications simultaneously.

The Pre's "universal" search feature let you simultaneously look for information stored on the phone, as well as through a Web browser across the Internet. Another feature searches and consolidates one view of multiple calendars, such as Google or Microsoft Outlook for business and Facebook to keep tabs on social events.

Sprint expects that the one-day takeover on MSN properties -- about 13 sites within the network -- will reach a total of 185,375,000 impressions. The ad will appear on sites from Hotmail to MSNBC and Fox Sports.

Bring up MSN.com and the Palm Pre spins across the screen, landing in a box on the right side of the home page. Click on the ad to expand the unit. The ad consumes the top part of the page. From there you can interact with the phone to read about features, such as Palm webOS, Linked Contacts and Layered Calendar, or watch the Facebook TV commercial in which IO Echo coos: "You got right under my skin."

The television advertisement highlighting Facebook ties into the campaign running on the social network site that began Thursday. The campaign also lets you gift a virtual Palm Pre to a friend, which shows up in live Facebook conversation feeds. It's also the first time that Facebook has allowed one advertiser to dominate the first five ad impressions for every user.

The Facebook ads keep with the style of the social network site, according to Rob Smith, an associate partner running the Sprint account at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, which worked with the media agency Mindshare to develop concepts for Facebook and MSN.

The MSN ad aims to visually convey the way Palm's new Web-based OS grabs and pulls information into one central place in real time. "We typically see huge spikes in home-page takeovers," Smith says. "They represent Super Bowl ads of the Web. We typically see a spike in both brand interaction and click-through of traffic to the site, about 5 times as much compared with normal rich media placement."

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners will also monitor interaction with the ad through searches and clicks. They will look at time spent in the ad, brand interaction, click through to the site, where people go after spending time with the ad, and whether they make a purchase.

Colors in the ads are lighter and cleaner, Smith says, adding: "We've also been judicious with the use of yellow. It's a great color and helps to brand Sprint, but when you use the roller brush effect it becomes too glaring on the Web. Using it properly lets you tie the page together."

Sprint will use a paid search campaign on Microsoft and Google properties through platforms such as adCenter and AdWords, respectively, for direct-response marketing and to create awareness. Wolken declined to provide details, but says the words focus on objectives that span from raising awareness to closing the sale.

Matt Carr, general manager overseeing Microsoft's MSN display business group, says the "interactive skin" lets the consumer explore the product in the ad. They never leave the page. It's the type of ad Microsoft plans to do more often, he says.

Palm got a boost this week after unveiling the Pre and announcing that former Apple executive Jon Rubinstein would step in as CEO. The company has been the mobile smartphone underdog for years, trailing eons behind Research In Motion's BlackBerry and Apple's iPhone.

Sprint Pre ad campaign home page takeovers and roadblocks include a Google YouTube ad scheduled to run Monday. CNet, Yahoo, USA Today and AOL also will run custom expandable units. Other sites will run roadblocks of rich media ads.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    About time they had the smarts to put major money in an ad campaign behind a new hot phone. Hope it adds to sales.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm Get I get an unlocked one on GoPhone?

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/06...-in-september/

Palm Pre to hit Europe in September

June 12, 2009, 1:30 pm by Toby Knight
    The Palm Pre will be arriving in Europe slightly earlier than we reported. The first Palm Pre batch should go on sale by the end of September.

The Palm Pre’s US launch went off without too many hitches (the slightly shonky firmware being quickly patched with an over the air update and no more being said about it) and now it is time for us Euro-types to start getting all worked up. The Palm Pre was rumoured to be getting a Christmas release on this side of the pond, but reports from Romanian distributors suggest that it will be available from September.

The new Palm quickly sold out from many Sprint outlets in the US, and while not quite the earth-shattering success Palm had hoped for is certainly one of the bigger phone launches this year. Analysts expect at least a million Palm Pres to be sold by the end of they ear.

The Palm Pre is reportedly headed to the UK via O2, which will have just finished dealing with the first batch of new iPhone 3G S handsets when the Palm Pre arrives to mop up, assuming this rumour is correct.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Custom "pre"lude font created just for the pre

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/f...ude-fonts-our/

Font Bureau takes credit for Palm's custom 'Prelude' fonts; our hearts melt
    by Paul Miller, posted Jun 12th 2009 at 5:48PM

Normally we're just happy to be able to read a bit of legible text on a mobile device -- maybe with a bit of anti-aliasing tossed in -- but we really have to hand it to Palm for the truly stunning and readable set of fonts in webOS. Apparently we have Boston-based Font Bureau to thank, who developed the all-new "Prelude" sans serif font family for the device, along with a related "Apres" set for print and marketing. The project was lead by Font Bureau co-founder David Berlow, who has also developed fonts for Microsoft and Apple in the past.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/06/...-the-palm-pre/

How to take screenshots on the Palm Pre

by Greg Kumparak on June 12, 2009

Nearly two months before the Pre hit the shelves, one of our Pre-toting compadres gave us the run down on how to take screenshots on the device.

Now, that wasn’t all that useful two months ago. Outside of the hundred or so people running around with a pre-release Pre, no one would be taking screenshots for quite some time. With the device now on the shelves, however, we’ve been seeing a whole lot of people asking how to grab screen captures, and countless other sites relying on the old “point a camera at the screen and pray” method. We figured it was time for a refresher course.

Greg Kumparak on April 14, 2009

Sure, none of us have the Palm Pre yet - but once you get it, won’t you want to take a ton of screenshots to document the experience?

On the iPhone, taking a screenshot requires no wonky software or hackery - just hold two buttons. I figured a similar function might exist on the Pre, but we had a heck of a time finding anyone who had any idea what we were talking about - until now.

To take a screenshot of the Pre, you’ll hold the Orange, Sym, and P keys. Bam! Instant screenshot, prepped and ready for sending off to Grandma. Because there’s nothing Grandmas love like phone OS screenshots.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-del...ange-shortcuts

How to: Rearrange and Delete Apps in your Launcher, Plus Shortcuts

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo
    the compact calendar trick doesn't work for me. It won't store the last five minutes on a daily basis, only for two days and then it doesn't show the 11:55-12am "appt" after the first two days....
    You're right. It only does it for 2 days for whatever reason, however, if you use 11:50 to 11:55pm it shows everyday perpetually like it should!

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    I Thought the network comments were interesting, so I just posted that part.

http://bigorangecouch.com/?p=28

24 hours on a Palm Pre from an iPhone guy.

So I bought the original iPhone on launch day. Then I bought the 3G version on launch day. I think this makes me qualified to say that I have as much if not more time spent on the iPhone than anyone ouside of Apple headquarters and I must admit I love the iPhone. But like most relationships over time the magic wears off and soon you look for another lover, a younger, slimmer, more limber, more active mate. The Palm Pre is that mate for me. However with any new love there are areas of improvement.

Its been 24 hours and I’ve been using and exploring every option on it. You can look elsewhere for reviews and stats and photos galore but I want to focus on whats missing and what is better on the Pre than the iPhone. The first is the network. No more AT&T for me. AT&T has been nothing short of a nightmare in San Francisco. There are more dead spots and dropped calls than I could ever point out. It got to a point that I refused to take calls while driving and if I was in a high rise I would use skype which then completely defeats the point of having a cell phone. If I could predict the dead sports then I could plan around it but they seem to move. One day no problems in my house and the next I would have complete drop outs. Always showing full bars and then going to none also defeats the purpose of have any bars at all. It might be better if AT&T just had a “working” “not working” icon. I did a drive from San Francisco to Sacramento with the Pre and the iPhone both playing Pandora. The iPhone lost connection 17 times and I had to restart the phone. The Pre had no drop outs and I had music the whole time. If and when AT&T are out of the picture I would consider going back to the iPhone because that is the main reason for switching to the Palm Pre at this time. I however do see a future where the Pre and the iPhone will match each other....

...So the missing apps I want. Now I’ll give them time after all it took Apple 2 years to get ustream and slingbox on it and it still has to be on WiFi. Lets see if sprint can make apple and AT&T suck it!
    Solitaire,
    Slingbox
    Countdown timer
    Voice recorder
    Better twitter app

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/new-ski...-palm-pre.html

Palm Pre Theme For iPhone

UPDATE: I added more icons, changed(slightly) the wallpaper and dock.

Hey there! I've been kind of a lurker around these parts, but I finally decided to contribute something.

Here's a Palm Pre theme. As far as I know, it's the first Pre theme for iPhone. So far there's 49 icons. The icons are editable PNGs so you can modify them however you want.

So... here ya go.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...hones.june.09/

iPhone, Pre demand surges; BlackBerry tumbles

macnn/electronista
    06/18/2009, 12:00pm, EDT

.....Palm has also seen its demand spike in the same timeframe. Interest in buying a Pre has exactly doubled from 4 percent of smartphone buyers to 8 percent even in the week after the launch, which would have satisfied some of that demand.

The surges for Apple and Palm appear to come directly at the expense of BlackBerry purchasing plans. Where hopes to buy BlackBerries were near an all-time high at 37 percent in March, they have since plummeted to 23 percent in June. Not all reasons are provided, but an increasing preference for touchscreens is considered a partial factor: the importance of these for users grew from 33 percent in September to 43 percent this month. Simultaneously, an insistence on a hardware QWERTY keyboard has remained flat at 33 percent....

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    CNET Shootout - pre vs iPhone 3GS (video)

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50073193.html

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Palm pre Tips & Tricks pdf

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...ips-tricks.pdf

Unfortunately, you must login to download.

From precentral post

http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...ricks-pdf.html

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.informationmadness.com/cm...-palm-pre.html

10+ iPhone Sites That Works Perfect With Palm Pre
    See article for links.

Written by InformationMadness
    Friday, 19 June 2009 14:18...

...So here are the list of "iPhone Compatible" sites that just works for Palm Pre too. It is a no brainer.

1. Digg/iPhone - One of the most powerful social bookmarking site Digg is available to your Palm Pre just by visiting their mobile website or so called "digg.com/iphone". It works just fine.

2. Palm Pre Weather.com - Even though it is optimized for iPhone, Weather.com's iPhone site works perfectly with Palm Pre. You can even see the radar maps with hybrid view, map view or satalive view. It also gives you next and previous buttons to go to the next day weather. I like this better than the AccuWeather application for Palm Pre.

3. i.wund.com - Another weather web page which works great with Palm Pre.

4. Bank Of America Mobile -- This one is great for managing your bank of america account online. It is optimized for your Palm Pre and works perfect.

5. GetLeafLets.com - Just direct your Palm Pre browser to app.getleaflets.com. The site contains a directory of services: search, flickr, New York Times, Upcoming, del.icio.us, etc. There is also a feed reader that is optimized for Palm Pre.:-)

6. Food Network - If you are into cooking and good food, Food Network's iPhone optimized site works perfectly fine with Palm Pre. The best thing about this site is that it also streams Food Network vidoes on Palm Pre. I was able to watch couple of the Food Network Videos on my Palm Pre.

7. ESPN Podcast For Palm Pre -- Yes, who says Palm Pre can't have podcasts? I can hear the ESPN Podcasts fine on my Palm Pre. Just visit the ESPN Podcast for iPhone using your Palm Pre browser and you will be able to listen all the podacasts for free.

8. RemeberTheMilk - One of the most popular To-Do lists site and stickey notes features. You can visit the link and it works great with Palm Pre.

9. Palm Pre Fox News - A version of the well-known news network Fox News's website for the Palm Pre

10. Box.net - Get mobile access to all of your stored files in a Palm Pre friendly environment.

11. Amazon - Start shopping from Amazon with your Palm Pre phone. The site is optimized for Palm Pre too.

12. pZoho - Yes.. its not actually pZoho but iZoho.com works just fine with Palm Pre browser. You can access your documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Documents can be viewed and edited, while spreadsheets and presentations can only be viewed. You can create new documents as well.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    YouTube on 3GS vs pre

pre and 3GS load about the same time but Sprint/pre YouTube feed much better. (But you have to take his word for it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKzdxqUK-l0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast