Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Dropping your landline

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101
    You just have to pay the junk on the wireless account (if any)

I came home to discover that my phone isnt disconnected ?!!? Came home to 6 missed calls on the caller ID... my landline doesnt really want to die I will have to see what is up in the morning
    What company did you have? I had Vartech and they tried to bill me after I canceled my service and switched to Verizon.

I now pay $59 with Verizon, $4 more than Vartech and get less services. The only calls I get are telemarketers, the land line is really useless to me. The last few times I've had to call 911 I used my cell phone. When the power goes out cell phones still work. I don't even bother plugging in the corded phone to get a call from a telemarketer. When I cancel I'm going to port my number to a tracfone until I can get real internet connection and Vonage .

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoneGuy315
    ....I don't even bother plugging in the corded phone to get a call from a telemarketer. When I cancel I'm going to port my number to a tracfone until I can get real internet connection and Vonage .
    You should consider changing your number if at all possible if you want to get rid of telemarketers. If you keep the same number and port it wherever you go, telemarketers will follow you. We had the same landline number for over 42 years. Dropping it caused no problems for our friends and family and we ditched all the telemarketers that were hounding us. There are potential problems with porting to tracfone, then to Vonage, if it will work at all. Of course, if the number is on a business card, or a special set of digits, changing numbers may not be an option.
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If I do port over to a tracfone, it will stay off most of the time. I can use the voice mail for free with the remote pass code. I might not even get Vonage. Skype seems like a better alternative, for what little bit I will use it. I hate to lose a number that everyone already knows.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I called Centurylink... apparently, it takes time to disconnect a landline . Monday is the drop dead day.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

The landline is now DEAD in my apartment

It got shut off in the wee hours this morning I was considering downdrading my Verizon cell plan but I decided to keep the minutes and add my Google Voice as one of the Friends and Family numbers... I can give out the Google number instead of the cell

I am gonna miss the landline when the batteries die, but I have an extended battery for my phone and I have three prepaid phones on different networks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ok4a56
    What do you need an house alarm for, that is just an expensive way to let the police know to come take a burglary report.
    Exactly. There are other ways to deal with intruders, and the police can still come and do their paperwork afterward.
    "Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (VX11000)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator HF 9 View Post

If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for too long.

May I submit an early holiday-gift suggestion?:

Seriously, though, I've purchased one of these, . . . not because of the public spectacle I might make of myself, on the commuter rail, but, rather, to conduct lengthy home-based conversations in ergonomic comfort. For those times when the speakerphone is not private enough, and for those people (like me) who would prefer not to employ bluetooth technology without their tinfoil hats snug upon their heads!

Last edited by Uallach; 10-03-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Feedback Score
    i am the older generation. dropped the land line.fired the cable company. got DSL internet and basic cable 34.95 for 12 months guaranteed. have magic jack and GV. Dont forward my calls either. Fired ATT cell and went to straight talk. only thing i miss is the better phones from the big 4. Saving about 1500 bucks a year. no brainer. prolly could throw away cable too. With netflix, redbox, vuze and a host of others, really don't need it

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (formerly T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink View Post
    What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? I can't justify Ooma for a fax only solution, because for a $249.99 box, with the very small amount of faxes I send, (but need to be able to send, or receive right this moment) it would take 5 years to make any profit, Strangely compared to $40 for comcast's phone, it would be nice.
    I just tell people that want to use a fax (how yesterday is that?) that I don't have one. If pressed, most will let me just email them things. All my clients use email now, and even get all my bills that way (I am a consultant that works from home). I also have a scanner so if I need to send them a document that have signed etc, I just scan it as a PDF and send it off. About once or twice a year I have to actually fax something to an antiquated business, so I go to a real office I have access to and use the fax there.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There used to be companies on the web running virtual fax machines. For a price, you could email them a document and they would convert it to fax format and make a phone call to send it out. Or receive the same way. Don't remember any of the names though.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    It has been nine months since we dropped our landline, and I thought I would throw out some observations about going strictly cellular (although we have a rarely used Google Voice number). We remember all the times we would walk into the house and look first for any blinking lights on the answering machine. No more missed calls now, unless we are behind the wheel or at a place where we intentionally turn the phone off. Much easier to control when the phone rings. No more telemarketers, and throughout the mid-term election hoopla, not one political call. No more missed calls from the doctor's office confirming appointments, and more importantly, not missing a call with some medical test results. No more hanging around the house waiting for a call that our car is ready at the shop. We never have to tell anyone that we are "out of town". We don't have to give out more than one number for folks to reach us. We use our Google Voice number for businesses and when required on forms, but have never had any conflicts and rarely get any calls to our GV number. One minor issue is that if we don't have a store "bonus" card with us, we can enter our home phone number. Usually we can't remember if they have the old number or our Google Voice number. I'd say that the only disadvantage of not having a landline is that we used to have a phone extension in almost every room in the house. So when someone called (when we were home), a phone was right there to be picked up. Now, we have to keep the cellphone handy. (Bluetooth enabled cordless phones didn't work for us; tried it, dropped too many calls).
    We are in our late 60s and most of our friends still think they need a landline. What a waste of money!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8