Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dropping your landline

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did also. Great decision. Thanks to Youmail, I don't have to deal with anything I don't want to.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am envious of you guys for killing the POTS. It must be nice If my service was any cheaper, the POTS would be gone in a minute. When I move, the landline is definitely not moving with me. On the other hand, the incessant calls have died down... probably because few people have the landline and I have no voicemail (and no answering machine)...

If the switching fees werent so high at Comcast, I would have switched by now. It is crazy having to pay three different companies for services (CenturyLink for DSL/phone, VZW for cell, and Comcast for limited basic cable)...

I also wish there were some real competition like fiber. I literally drool over the Big City offerings and I sit and do nothing because there are no promos going on in my area...

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Ditched the landline back in 2000, when we moved from NYC to VA.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    VZDub
    Feedback Score
    Our recent move made it possible for me to finally convince my wife that it was OK to cut the cord. Now that we'd be paying long distance to talk to anyone that we know, it really doesn't make any sense to keep the land line. So, as of last week, we're completely wireless.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4394
    .....we're completely wireless.
    Congrats, Mick.
    We had a power outage yesterday morning. Phone service down. Cellphones still worked. A good case for moving up to a smartphone such as the Droid, since I couldn't access the Pepco Outage Map with my Dare. Had to call my son so he could look it up on his iPhone. What an embarrassment!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Friends and Family 1400 minutes since it started.
    4 cells, no landline...0 regrets.
    If one cell happens to get lost/washed/dropped/goes swimming, I have a whole drawer full of spares to easily activate a stand in.
    Saves about $50 a month, helps justify my habit..

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonebrkr
    Friends and Family 1400 minutes since it started.
    4 cells, no landline...0 regrets.
    If one cell happens to get lost/washed/dropped/goes swimming, I have a whole drawer full of spares to easily activate a stand in.
    Saves about $50 a month, helps justify my habit..
    Cool...

Maybe I need some suggestions. What do you guys do for internet? Is it the cable or DSL option? Am I overlooking something? Only reason I have the landline is because it is cheaper to have it and the DSL vs having naked DSL. I think cable internet would be cheaper ($43) but I am not ready to bite the activation fees.

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? I can't justify Ooma for a fax only solution, because for a $249.99 box, with the very small amount of faxes I send, (but need to be able to send, or receive right this moment) it would take 5 years to make any profit, Strangely compared to $40 for comcast's phone, it would be nice.
    BlackBerry Pin: 7be6f3d8 New BBM App on iPhone 5S YAY!

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink
    What I want to know is what you have come up with for Fax machines? .
    A lady who lives up the street from me tried my $15/month VoIP and gave up on it when she discovered she could not send more than one page on her fax machine. She switched to Vonage, which seems to support faxing. In her profession as a psychologist, she is 'required' to submit her reports by fax so that her signature can be authenticated.
    But the mention of fax machines brings to mind how obnoxiously slow they work in transmitting a page. Compare that to sending the document as a pdf in an email.
    When I learned to drive, we had to know hand signals, where we stuck our left arm out the window and pointed left for a left turn, straight up for a right turn and down to indicate we were stopping. Even after turn signals were invented. When credit cards first came into widespread use, we couldn't use them to buy food. Clothes, furniture, hardware, o.k., but not food. Some people still use film in their cameras. It's painful to see how long it takes for people and businesses and regulations to catch up with technology.
    How long will it be before that outdated, slow, lumbering thing called a fax machine is relegated to the trash heap?
    Some people still write letters and mail them to friends.... go figure...
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Feedback Score
    Got rid of the landline about 6 mo's ago. Internet is with cable. I also use Skype and Google phone to supplement cell. I DO NOT give out cell number to ANY company (google voice number works here). I use skype when I am at the house or travelling overseas.

I noticed, the other night, that there are internet faxing services. Though most cost some money, it may still be cheaper than maintaining a phone line just for the ability to send a facsimile transmission. Perhaps this would work for those keeping their landlines just for this purpose?

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

About to do it

Over eight months have gone by since this thread was started, and I am getting close to pulling the trigger to jettison our 'landline'. A number we have had for about 44 years, but there is no easy way to save it, and with all the telemarketers that have it, I don't think I want to keep it. I can just hear our old fuddy-duddy friends grumbling about having to change our number in their addressbooks, and forgetting how to reprogram our numbers on their cordless phones. A net increase of about $16 per month after we drop our cheap ($15) VoIP "landline", which for the most part has been very reliable except for recent glitches and a few complaints of echo. I'm convinced that if someone wants to call me, call my cell. Want to call the better half, call that cell number. Why have this landline and try to figure out who the call is for, having to write a message if the other person isn't in (at our age, remembering who called doesn't work). And with Google Voice, that can be the replacement number for businesses and such that require a phone number, allowing us to keep our cell numbers private. Time to keep up with the grandkids and put the landline out with the incandescent bulbs and the eight track tape player.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster
    Over eight months have gone by since this thread was started, and I am getting close to pulling the trigger to jettison our 'landline'. A number we have had for about 44 years, but there is no easy way to save it, and with all the telemarketers that have it, I don't think I want to keep it. I can just hear our old fuddy-duddy friends grumbling about having to change our number in their addressbooks, and forgetting how to reprogram our numbers on their cordless phones. A net increase of about $16 per month after we drop our cheap ($15) VoIP "landline", which for the most part has been very reliable except for recent glitches and a few complaints of echo. I'm convinced that if someone wants to call me, call my cell. Want to call the better half, call that cell number. Why have this landline and try to figure out who the call is for, having to write a message if the other person isn't in (at our age, remembering who called doesn't work). And with Google Voice, that can be the replacement number for businesses and such that require a phone number, allowing us to keep our cell numbers private. Time to keep up with the grandkids and put the landline out with the incandescent bulbs and the eight track tape player.
    You can use the money you save to pay the greedy [email protected]@rds at Verizon their new insane forced 10$ data charge.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim
    You can use the money you save to pay the greedy [email protected]@rds at Verizon their new insane forced 10$ data charge.
    Only if I choose a phone that requires it. Got the VPAK for now.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

ready to pull the plug on the landline

Done. Started to upgrade plan on line and a message popped up that I had an outdated plan that was no longer offered and had to call Customer Service. I think that was a generic message generated because I have the 'unadvertised' 550 minute NationWide Loyalty plan. So I called CS, got my plan bumped up to 1400 minutes, kept my $15 unlimited VPAK on my Dare, no data plan required on the Moto W755, a $5 text plan on each phone as before, and good to go. Will start with the beginning of the billing period in a week, and yes, I'll have to check my bill carefully to make sure it is correct, but that's what was clearly pointed out to me by the CS rep, and I believe everything a CS rep says to me.

Device(s)
    Motorola v9m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I got rid of my landline about a week after they started porting numbers to any carrier. Haven't looked back since.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast