Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dropping your landline

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I called Embarq to cancel the landline. My plan was to cancel the POTS, keep the DSL, and up my VZW plan. When I called in, I told the rep I wanted to cancel the landlune. She offered me a different plan: 3M DSL and landline for $40+junk fees. The standalone DSL is $40... I decided to keep the landline... my current plan is 3M DSL + landline for $60. So I will keep the VZW plan at the minimum for now

Device(s)
    Moto Q
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, haven't looked back since.
    Feedback Score
    I haven't had a landline in probably about 7 or 8 years, not missing it, and not looking back. I never miss or drop calls so not having a landline is really not an issue for me at all...
    Granted I'm paying a few dollars more for my dry-loop dsl but no sense in paying for a dial tone I'm never going to use...

^ EVDO Without Rev. A

^ 1X only

GUN CONTROL:
    using both hands

I'll keep my guns and money.... You can "hope" for Obama's "change"

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I saw my Embarq bill today... and I am glad I made the change My bill went from $73 to $49. I regret not calling Embarq sooner. I am happy!!! Part of me still wants to cut the cord, but since Phone + DSL = DSL (give or take a few dollars), I will keep it as is for not. I just have a lot less features on the landline. Just caller ID plus speed dialing (that's bundled together... CID is $11 alone )

Device(s)
    It depends on the mood.
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    Ditched the landline after 2+ years of arguing with the wife about keeping it back in december 08. I noticed one day on my landline bill a long distance charge from hell. So I called the wife at work and told her at the end of the week I was cutting the landline off, and she better go ahead and let her friends know what her mobile number was. We both have unlimited minutes, so there was no excuse for the long distance charge. We haven't missed it one bit, plus saving about $45 a month.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid w/CM6RC2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We had a Sprint/Embarq landline, and ported that number to digital service through the cable company a few years ago to save some money. Free long distance, unlimited calls, etc. Eventually we figured that we could save almost $30/mo. more by porting that number to a cell on our 700 minute family plan. We've had that number too long (25 years) to just get rid of it. The only problem we've had since going completely wireless was that very first month. My wife racked up 704 minutes, just on the old landline number, and the total was 1407 minutes. To be fair, the CSA at the Corp. store assisting us did ask if we wanted to increase the minutes on our plan, but the wife didn't think it was necessary. We have a 1400 minute plan now. The kicker, though, is with F&F, we only use about 200 across all 4 lines.
    I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't use a landline. My BlackBerry is my communication device. I use it for everything, myspace, facebook, aim,msn,yahoo, phone, etc.

My parents though have the "best of everything" plan from Timewarner and get digital phone in the 3 in 1 package. They use it still.
    Live long and prosper.

Device(s)
    Casio (New) Boulder
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We went landline free about 5 years ago. We had to worry about minutes in my old job since it was using the phone too, but now I am at an office job, turn of the phone at work since I can't take calls anyway on my personal line, and most of my family are with Verizon. So we dropped back to the loyalty share plan of 550 minutes and saved even more money.

What we found by going with cells only is that the land line was just a waste of time checking something else for messages.

And for the moderator who's wife had problems with the phone, we just get phones with good speakersphones and talk just fine with little radiation and no cramped arm.

For home calls she could get a bluetooth speakerphone and have an even easier time.

Device(s)
    BB Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Haven't had a landline since I moved out of my parent's house in Feb. 2007. Even then, I had been giving people my cell number over the home number since I got my cell, never once came close to going over my minutes, and I do have alternatives that are far more reliable than a landline incase of a big emergency.

Device(s)
    Boulder
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When I moved out of my parents house over ten years ago, I never got a landline. What is the point of having a phone that you can't answer all the time. Maybe if you are living with a few friends/roommates and want to save some money. To tell you the truth, since I bought my house 8 years ago, I don't know if the phone wiring works, but considering that it is a duplex, I can't get rid of the wiring (lots of phone wire stapled along the trim work that looks like poop.

Cut the landline if you can, when companies want a home phonenumber, tell them you don't have one, it's worked for me. (If they require one for registering, give them your old number, that isn't valid anymore, no telemarketers!!)
    is this thing on, hello, can you hear me?

Device(s)
    iphone 8plus
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thats what I need to do... the only reason we still have one is it is part of the package... and now I can get dry loop DSL, which would save us a lot per month....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We dropped our land line several years ago as well. I have two kids, so we would have done it earlier than that if not for the fact that our house was wired with landline jacks in many rooms and when the kids were little I felt more comfortable with super easy and fast 911 access no more than an arm's reach or a couple steps away. Not even so much for me but for babysitter / parents / visitors, etc.

Once the kids got a little older, we added a line to our Family Share for my son. Added another Family Share line using an old cellphone and we leave that here at the house as the "house phone." My daughter is 11 now and in a year or two (whenever she starts babysitting other kids) we will likely just cancel that house phone line and open a new Family Share line for her.

Having a phone available to use at the house is handy for visitors and for my daughter's limited use. At this point that phone only rings a few times a week, so it's very close to having reached its limit of usefulness. Cost is reasonable as an extra family share line is only $9.99 + tax.

A great point was raised earlier about spam/telemarketers. I added Google Voice lines for all four of our phones and that's the number I submit for all transactions, credit card and other non-personal interactions. I use GV configured to NOT forward calls to my phone, and my cell has its voice mail number set to GV. Essentially, GV became my free version of Visual Voice Mail.

I'm still playing with it, but Google Voice is an interesting way to handle the lack of a landline. Especially for families as you can set contact lists which forward to certain numbers. That way you could set up one number to basically be your "family number" (landline replacement) and have it forward to the appropriate person's cell based on contact groups.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would love to but am tied to my landline with the alarm system, satellite dish and Nielsen TV ratings! SUCKS!!!

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    No LL here. Mobile all the way for several years now. This
    a very popular and growing trend. And as was mentioned,
    No Telemarketers! YES!!

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBK
    I'm still playing with it, but Google Voice is an interesting way to handle the lack of a landline. Especially for families as you can set contact lists which forward to certain numbers. That way you could set up one number to basically be your "family number" (landline replacement) and have it forward to the appropriate person's cell based on contact groups.
    I haven't used that feature with my GV number, but I do give it out as a public number since I cut the cord on my landline over three years ago. I set it not to forward calls since anybody I really want to speak with already has my cell number. I just let the junk messages pile up on GV.

I've been using Skype for international calls (2˘/min. to Spain) but in fact I could do the same with GV now that I have it.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    From Broadband Reports:

Verizon CEO Admits Landlines Are Dead
    Company likens itself to Google as it purges rural users, COs, employees....

Dead, except for the older generation who are resistant to change, and will be paying the outrageous charges (compared to VoIP or bundling) until their grandchildren shame them into upgrading their services.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast