Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dropping your landline

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I moved out on my own back in 2004 and I had a cell only. It was a lot cheaper. But 8 months ago, I got DSL in my apartment and I had to get the landline as well My only other option is cable but I cannot accept outages on the internet... a storm came through in April and I was without cable for 4 days so I guess I am tethered for now LOL

Feedback Score
    I didnt drop ours, we just never got one when we moved in. It's been 3 years and I see no need for a land line.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nhanson
    Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We only keep ours due to having dsl otherwise we have contemplated on cancelling the landline. We were able to do it for a year before (like 7 years ago though)
    Just for the record, all the carriers I've delt with will supply DSL without a "dial-tone". In other words, a "dry" DSL line. One of these is usually about $10/mo more than if you simply added DSL to your existing voice line.

-Frank

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    One of the reasons that I (and perhaps many others) was (are) reluctant to drop the landline is that your cell becomes your primary number on everything you submit, and will eventually find its way to telemarketers, politicians and charities. Then the incessant calls begin. (With or without being on the DNC list)

But I discovered that on my phone (Dare) and other Verizon phones, it is possible to set it up so that only those on your contact list can ring through. (I'm assuming all others go to voicemail, but I haven't tried it).

Being able to create that kind of "White List" on a cell phone is a plus.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    In California I had DSL from Verizon Communications without having a landline, and here in AZ I have DSL from Qwest without having a landline.

If a telecom company says you need a landline to have DSL methinks they are just trying to milk another service out of you.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster
    One of the reasons that I (and perhaps many others) was (are) reluctant to drop the landline is that your cell becomes your primary number on everything you submit, and will eventually find its way to telemarketers, politicians and charities. Then the incessant calls begin. (With or without being on the DNC list)

But I discovered that on my phone (Dare) and other Verizon phones, it is possible to set it up so that only those on your contact list can ring through. (I'm assuming all others go to voicemail, but I haven't tried it).

Being able to create that kind of "White List" on a cell phone is a plus.
    I am starting to see that feature more and more on phones, and features that you can send certain numbers to voicemail right away too. I bet it will eventually come on every phone.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dropped my landline as soon as dry-line DSL became available in my area. The cable company here does not offer internet service so I am locked to DSL. It has been about a year and a half since going wireless-only but I have no regrets. Verizon let me port my home number to my existing line so that I wouldn't lose my number. That was important to me because I have been using the same number for 15 years and I didn't have to send out notices to friends/family/co-workers about a number change. I also have an XLink bluetooth gateway so all my home phones work with the cell. I can't imagine ever going back to POTS.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    we are on the verge of dropping our landline, but its tied into our phone/internet/cable package so it would actually cost us more a month (so my parents say..) if we dropped the phone and moved to another package. plus we've had the same landline number for almost 30 years. my opinion would be to port it to another line on our plan but thats just me.
    My Feedback!
    1000 posts on July 4th 2007 at 3:06am est

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for to long.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I ditched the land line for a cell phone. The cost works out to be the same, but the convenience is much better. I got tired of playing phone tag when I got home from work and listening to..."You have 8 messages" It became pointless having a home phone.

The only real drawback is when my cellphone has problems and I have to call for tech support from another phone. I ended up realizing I needed a back up phone so I went with the magic jack phone (it is an internet based phone).

For me, having a backup phone is great.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator HF 9
    If it were up to me I would no longer have a land line. My wife insists that we have one because she says that the cell phone gives her a headache if she talks on it for to long.
    Have you considered trying the XLink BT. If it is the physical feeling of the cell for long periods that is uncomfortable to her this just may be the solution.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101
    I moved out on my own back in 2004 and I had a cell only. It was a lot cheaper. But 8 months ago, I got DSL in my apartment and I had to get the landline as well My only other option is cable but I cannot accept outages on the internet... a storm came through in April and I was without cable for 4 days so I guess I am tethered for now LOL
    Let me guess, you have AT&T for DSL?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

you talk!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerrocks09
    Let me guess, you have AT&T for DSL?
    No, I have Embarq for DSL... Comcast is the cable company...

Device(s)
    Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I get a headache if my wife talks to me to long

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast