Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 169

Thread: Samsung i637 Jack Tips & Tricks

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23
    Device(s)
    Just Jack!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyMac
    Picture messaging still works fine. NoData just blocks it from using any of the internet connections. The MMS profile is separate from that.
    Thank you! I am going to do this...awesome...Also, regarding the first post in this thread about turning off 3G...does this affect call quality or connections at all? I noticed in another forum saying that battery life is affected by ATT polling your sim card through 3G which drains your battery pretty fast. I noticed that I charged my phone overnight, then a full day, and night of it being on with little use, and in the morning I had 1 bar. I am hoping turning off 3G will improve my battery life, and not affect my cell phone calling/reception/quality...thanks for all the great tips!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Hell
    Posts
    8
    Device(s)
    LG Incite CT810
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    NoData

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyMac
    Picture messaging still works fine. NoData just blocks it from using any of the internet connections. The MMS profile is separate from that.
    Just a quick line to let everyone know what I ran into when I tried nodata.

    After installing it on my Samsung Jack it showed me 3 connections I could disable. ATT IMS, ATT MMS and MediaNet. When I tried to toggle any one of these 3 to disabled the phone pops up an error message saying something to the effect that this operation or registry change cannot be completed.

    I then went and tried to download the app to disable the security for the registry, but the websites that host it have been shut down. I found another app named Clearsecurity.cab but again the webpage where it was hosted is not there anymore.

    So basically I have a few more days before I can return this phone and sadly I am going to take it back. If I have to go through this much trouble to not have to pay for data usage then I don't want this kind of phone.

    I honestly believe after reviewing and studying every AT&T phone out there that they are making the phones security unchangable so that you have to pay for data usage. Everyone phone I looked at during my visit to the stores have MediaNet on the phone and noway to turn it off.

    24.6 MB's of data usage, which was only a couple hours of surfing the web with my Jack = over $200.00 in data charges. Not worth it.

    Good luck to you all.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    206
    Device(s)
    Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,290
    Device(s)
    6 in Space
    Feedback Score
    0
    ^^ yep that's a good one. the clearcab security cab is on megaupload there.
    Sit vis vobiscum.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,195
    Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hailofaguy
    Just a quick line to let everyone know what I ran into when I tried nodata.

    After installing it on my Samsung Jack it showed me 3 connections I could disable. ATT IMS, ATT MMS and MediaNet. When I tried to toggle any one of these 3 to disabled the phone pops up an error message saying something to the effect that this operation or registry change cannot be completed.

    I then went and tried to download the app to disable the security for the registry, but the websites that host it have been shut down. I found another app named Clearsecurity.cab but again the webpage where it was hosted is not there anymore.

    So basically I have a few more days before I can return this phone and sadly I am going to take it back. If I have to go through this much trouble to not have to pay for data usage then I don't want this kind of phone.

    I honestly believe after reviewing and studying every AT&T phone out there that they are making the phones security unchangable so that you have to pay for data usage. Everyone phone I looked at during my visit to the stores have MediaNet on the phone and noway to turn it off.

    24.6 MB's of data usage, which was only a couple hours of surfing the web with my Jack = over $200.00 in data charges. Not worth it.

    Good luck to you all.
    Those settings are read-only out of box. You don't need any hacking to make it changeable. Go to phone's Windows folder and launch UAMgr.exe. This utility will allow you to unlock the read-only status.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    For the life of me, I don't understand the point of having a Jack (or any Windows Mobile phone) without a data plan. Are wifi spots really that prevalent? How do you download your mail in the car? Not trying to be rude, understand. But what lifestyle requires a business phone without the ability to pay for a data plan? Is it a student thing?

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,480
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Nation Family Talk 1400
    Feedback Score
    0

    choices, choices...

    It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Just accept that your lifestyle & choices may be far, far from someone else's. I have friends w/ 3+ million dollar (second) homes who, on their least frugal days around Xmas, wouldn't think of buying iPhones for their kids, regardless of what their friends all have.

    I'm around wifi 95% of the day, so I can obviously opt to go w/o the data plan. My commute is short enough that I can go the 30-45minutes w/o updates to the email that I've _already_ downloaded to my handset before I ran out the door to the train (yes, some of us are lucky enough not to have to drive much) >. FWIW though, I do add the data feature via the OLAM from time to time if I'm spending significant time away from home and/or wifi service.

    It's not about a lifestyle *requiring* a 'business phone' per se. Don't forget that WM phones are way more than that unless you are very short sighted/less experienced in how you can utilize such devices. Keep in mind compared the Fuze or my Tilt, the Jack is very locked down by comparison.

    -Pedro

    Quote Originally Posted by BCH238
    For the life of me, I don't understand the point of having a Jack (or any Windows Mobile phone) without a data plan. Are wifi spots really that prevalent? How do you download your mail in the car? Not trying to be rude, understand. But what lifestyle requires a business phone without the ability to pay for a data plan? Is it a student thing?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23
    Device(s)
    Just Jack!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    To me, having a data plan would only be for a busisness application, i.e. my company gives me a blackberry/jack/etc. and everything is paid for, or I have my own busisness and I include the data plan as part of my overhead/operating expense etc. For personal use, the data plans seem to be a rip off. I do not need to pay $30/mo. just to read my personal email on my cell phone, and I do not need to surf the net all that much either. The wifi is nice because, yes, wifi is becoming more widespread, especially if you are a college student who spends the mojority of their time in hot spot areas.


    The other factor is that when I bought my phone, it was only $20 more than the LG Xenon (at Walmart, same price through ATT). For the money, it makes more sense to get the more powerful, feature rich phone for essentially the same price...AND having the ability to customize (or hack) the phone is a big plus. The other reason so many may not want the data plan is because we are seeing what ATT is trying to do, which is FORCE customers into expensive data plans ontop of our already expensive voice plans...so there are a lot of reasons to not get the data plan with the Jack: principle, money, because we can get around it, the challange of it, etc.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,290
    Device(s)
    6 in Space
    Feedback Score
    0
    Personally I block data because at&t already gets a healthy chunk from me for the phone bill, I don't see why I should give them another $30. I have wifi at work ... at home ... and a hundred places around town. There is absolutely no reason (for me) to check my email while driving. If you need it, great and if your company pays for it, even better.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,195
    Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Data plan or not is personaly perference. The reason AT&T locks down the GPRS settings is an attempt to prevent average Joe from thether without paying a thethering plan. As for how to use wi-fi without incur data charges, you have both MS (for confusing network configuration) and lack of interest from AT&T (you use it at your own risk and don't blame AT&T not helping you). Who's to blame a company put its own financial interest first. At least, we're not dealing with Verizon where even the built-in GPS chip is tightly locked down and require a ROM update to free it.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    206
    Device(s)
    Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    are you able to remap the short cut keys at the bottom of the keyboard? (at&t, gps, email, camera, etc)?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    107
    Device(s)
    Samsung Jack
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barrist
    are you able to remap the short cut keys at the bottom of the keyboard? (at&t, gps, email, camera, etc)?

    That would be great as well...would love to turn my GPS key into the launch button for Google maps.


    Also, is there a way to delete the icons yet?

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,195
    Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Search BJ2 threads for how to remap those short cut keys (make sure it is for BJ2 with WM6.1 upgrade). It should very easy and straight forward to do.

    As for delete unwanted AT&T icons, you should be able to do so on your PC if you connected your phone.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    107
    Device(s)
    Samsung Jack
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat121
    Search BJ2 threads for how to remap those short cut keys (make sure it is for BJ2 with WM6.1 upgrade). It should very easy and straight forward to do.

    As for delete unwanted AT&T icons, you should be able to do so on your PC if you connected your phone.
    Thanks for the response and to confirm it should be the same as the BJ2. I thought that but wasn't 100% sure.

    If memory serves me, I was not able to access the windows folder from the computer. It showed windows in my storage card but not on the device. I will have to check again once I get home.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,195
    Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    To show Windows folder on your PC, you need to (1) not using Vista (2) Turn on show protected OS files and hidden files folder options in XP.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Bookmarks